rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
grindmouse

Are you upgrading to a PS4 Pro?

PS4 Pro upgrade poll!  

310 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I haven't decided yet. I don't have, or plan to own within the next 12 months at least, a 4K telly, so I'm going to chill out and see what (if any) improvements are going to be widely seen at 1080p. If it's worth it, I'll get one. I don't really do pre-ordering or panicking about availability.

A reluctant yes. I think the lack of 4k Blu Ray playback is bloody daft for the premium product they're selling and I'm not enthusiastic about the look of the device. It looks like it should be in an office somewhere, housing terabytes of hard drive space. That said, the price is reasonable and the gaming upgrades seem worth it.

24 minutes ago, MW_Jimmy said:

No. Buying VR is a much better use of my £350 than a few extra shinies that I probably can't even see on my TV.

Madness! 

I assume you're talking about buying Playstation's VR headset? If so, you're surely on the way to an introduction to VR that will end with some VR "Experiences" or you buying the new PS4 - the one with enough power to actually render VR gaming.  PSVR is why PS4 Pro exists, surely?

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

The next console I buy will have Elite Dangerous with VR. I don't care which console it is but seeing as there's no sign of E:D coming to the Playstation anytime soon and I expect the Scorpio to support VR I can't see myself getting any Playstation console for years.

• Upvote 1

I only use the PS4 for exclusives and have no interest in upgrading it.  I doubt the likes of FFXII remaster and Shenmue 3 will really suffer from lesser grunt.   

If my day one XBO packs up on the other hand I will definitely replace it with the One S rather than get it repaired.

58 minutes ago, MW_Jimmy said:

No. Buying VR is a much better use of my £350 than a few extra shinies that I probably can't even see on my TV.

Pretty much this.

I'll only be swayed if 4k/HDR/etc gets a wider push - that is, the displays become more accessible to your average buyer rather than being an expensive luxury (sort of like how HDTV is more accessible today.)

1 hour ago, Wahwah* said:

Madness! 

I assume you're talking about buying Playstation's VR headset? If so, you're surely on the way to an introduction to VR that will end with some VR "Experiences" or you buying the new PS4 - the one with enough power to actually render VR gaming.  PSVR is why PS4 Pro exists, surely?

It's pretty obvious that PS4Pro is about 4K televisions. PSVR is likely to be fairly niche and given the requirement for minimum framerate I don't see the need for it. Only one game so far is going to benefit from it.

Yes. I use the same 1080p monitor for my PC, PS4, Bone, WiiU and Linux internet piracy station so I`m primarily interested in 1080p improvements'

I`m also getting a PSVR.

If there was a great option of trading in i'd be interested but i've got a 2TB in my black revised model (released this year i think?) so it would be a huge £200 upgrade for many

Yes, I'm buying a PS4 Pro day one. I'd already planned on doing so and still going ahead with it. I don't own a 4K TV, but I'm into upgrading to the better machine this year, then getting VR later next year. 

I need to off-load a console however so either my current first year PS4 goes or my Xbox One. So.. do I want to keep the giant Xbone to play exclusive titles? or go full Yoshimax fanboy and have a second PS4 in the living room for general things. hmm..

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, MW_Jimmy said:

It's pretty obvious that PS4Pro is about 4K televisions. PSVR is likely to be fairly niche and given the requirement for minimum framerate I don't see the need for it. Only one game so far is going to benefit from it.

giphy.gif

Surely they'd have put enough power in to render things at 4k and a UHD Blu-ray drive in if that was the case? I can't believe selling 4k TVs is as pressing as trying to get a return on investment on their VR kit. 

Yes. It's not making a dent in my budget and it will offer nice improvements on 1080p. 4K and HDR are great, but I'll wait for the 2017 models. The LG OLEDs are astonishing but the input lag is a bit too high for me at the moment, especially with HDR enabled. If the 2017 models are a big enough improvement, I'll go 4K.

Sitting on the fence. Already have a PS4 with a 1080p capable TV. 

I'm not sure what benefit a PS4 Pro would have on that setup over the PS4?

If Bloodborne and Dark Souls 3 get to run at 60fps with no frame judder, I'll buy one

I'm gonna get one. I'm telling myself it's because I've been thinking of replacing my PS4 for a few months anyway and this seems like the most logical option in that regard, but really it's because I'm a massive child who has no self control.

Woooooooo!

• Upvote 5

11 minutes ago, englishbob said:

Sitting on the fence. Already have a PS4 with a 1080p capable TV. 

I'm not sure what benefit a PS4 Pro would have on that setup over the PS4?

It downsamples from 4K, giving much better IQ and the developers can use the extra horsepower to improve framerates and effects.

This is what Rise of the Tomb Raider does for example:
- 4K mode, the big resolution and developers made the optimal choices

- 1080p high framerate, the game running at >45 FPS targeting 60

- 1080p bells and whistles, 30 FPS locked with every processing technique pushed to the max

And The Witness:

* When using PS4 Pro with a 4k display, we will render at 1440p or possibly higher, all while keeping a consistent 60 frames per second. This image will then be upscaled to 4k, and we will draw text, menus, and other UI at native 4k resolution. (This is similar to what happens on the base PS4, where we render the 3D scene at 900p, then upscale to 1080p and draw UI at 1080p). We might be able to achieve resolutions higher than 1440p based on various engineering tradeoffs (for example, if we boost the resolution of the main scene to a greater degree than we boost the resolution of the reflections in water, which tend to be distorted anyway. Also, we’ll evaluate checkerboard rendering — we’re not sure if it’s the right way to go for this game, but we’ll see.) We’ll post again when we finalize these specs.

* When using PS4 Pro with a display that is 1080p or lower, we will render the scene at 1080p (instead of the old 900p), and increase antialiasing quality from 2x to 4x MSAA, again while keeping a solid 60 frames per second. We are exploring additional visual quality increases, like increased streaming distance for high-resolution meshes, or decreasing the noticeability of the fade-in between faraway LODs and high-res close-up meshes. Again, we’ll post details when this is finalized!
We’re also working on HDR support. Here in the office we just got a new LG B6P television, which is very bright and has low black levels, providing a lot of dynamic range, and it’s been fun so far tweaking the look of the game on HDR displays like this.

Basically, you'll probably see more impactful changes on a 1080p display than on a 4K one. Sure, 4K looks nice and HDR is sexy as hell (but also adds input lag on every display) whereas on 1080p you'll get a game that will both look and run better if the devs care enough.

• Upvote 3

My OG PS4 is not even two years old yet and I don't own an HD TV so not at the moment, I'd much rather put the 400€ towards a PS VR. That being said, a price drop in 2017 might sway me as I'd probably be looking to upgrade to a 4K TV in early 2018, as by that point my current TV will be five years old, meaning I'd get 20% of its original price off a new model at the store I bought it. 

As I doubt that games will suddenly start looking and playing like shit on the OG In the meantime, I can wait a bit. 

How do existing PS4 games benefit from the hardware update then, for us lowly 1080p users? Does each game need a patch to enable, or will it be done in hardware (like PS2's Ps1's game playback visual settings)?

7 minutes ago, englishbob said:

How do existing PS4 games benefit from the hardware update then, for us lowly 1080p users? Does each game need a patch to enable, or will it be done in hardware (like PS2's Ps1's game playback visual settings)?

It's up to developers what to do with it, but they need to add Pro mode.
These titles are all confirmed to do this, with more to follow no doubt.

Deus Ex: Mankind Divided
Killing Floor 2
Uncharted 4: A Thief's End
Infamous: First Light
Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor
Paragon
Call of Duty: Black Ops 3
The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited
The Last of Us: Remastered
The Witness

• Upvote 1

That list consists of available titles (what Sony calls forward compatible titles), TLG is out next month. :)

Bloodborne 60 fps is not likely because it contains PvP and Sony doesn't want MP games to have 60/30 fps differences.
Of course Bloodborne with a locked 30 fps and improved graphics is possible. It's up to FROM really. Perhaps we'll know next week, when TGS hits.

3 hours ago, MW_Jimmy said:

No, and also not buying VR is a much better use of my £350 pounds which I can use to buy a Canoe.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Karzee said:

The next console I buy will have Elite Dangerous with VR. I don't care which console it is but seeing as there's no sign of E:D coming to the Playstation anytime soon and I expect the Scorpio to support VR I can't see myself getting any Playstation console for years.

Frontier have said that ED is coming to the PS4, although there's no date announced yet.