What is spinning on your turntable?

Oh Danny Boy

1 hour ago, Twinbee said:

(Apols for iPhone rotation nonsense).

I’ve found a solution is to edit the photo on your phone first: e.g flip it, save it, flip it back, save it again. Then it embeds the right way up. I have no idea how this works. It just does!

36 minutes ago, Dr Nookie said:

That is a very tasty turntable - well jell

It was a combined Christmas & birthday present to myself in 2018. I'd coveted the SL1200/1210 since college days (a looong time ago) and finally got to the point in life where I could afford a nice shiny new one. Luckily Technics had released the 1210-GR so it was fate.

edit - Also, I couldn't afford the SL1200-G 😁

30 minutes ago, Lovelyman said:

What about mine eh?! ;)

AM-JKLWFQtaue3fM-lEGJ31beXd0-7Ws5fwXq1DU

Snakes alive etc. That’s commitment right there. Do you have a pair?  You don’t have a pair do you? Do you? Have a pair?  
On a flight of fancy recently I thought I could get a pair of GR’s but was quickly brought back to earth by some work the car needed.  I didn’t even mention it to the wife…

7 minutes ago, Lovelyman said:

No, not the pair. I just realised I was using my turntable A LOT and thought why not have a lovely one.

Well you’ve certainly ticked that box. 
may MK2’s are still going strong 30 years after I got them and they were secondhand then so that will stay with you for life. 
Why a Technics for just a single deck though?  Durability, ease of use, iconic looks and more?  Wouldn’t an alternative at that budget been better just sonically?  I expect that would be the hifi loons thoughts, but they’re really the Submariner of the turntable world IMO.  Original and never bettered. 
And what did you have before?

11 hours ago, Dr Nookie said:

Well you’ve certainly ticked that box. 
may MK2’s are still going strong 30 years after I got them and they were secondhand then so that will stay with you for life. 
Why a Technics for just a single deck though?  Durability, ease of use, iconic looks and more?  Wouldn’t an alternative at that budget been better just sonically?  I expect that would be the hifi loons thoughts, but they’re really the Submariner of the turntable world IMO.  Original and never bettered. 
And what did you have before?

Oh and I don't see why an alternative would sound better. 

Most of the function of extracting the audio is in the stylus and the constant rotational velocity of the turntable. 

Loads of turntables at this price cost that much because they are stupid shapes!!

This has a mega heavy platter so once it's up to speed there's no warbling 😍

1 hour ago, Lovelyman said:

Oh and I don't see why an alternative would sound better. 

Most of the function of extracting the audio is in the stylus and the constant rotational velocity of the turntable. 

Loads of turntables at this price cost that much because they are stupid shapes!!

This has a mega heavy platter so once it's up to speed there's no warbling 😍

Oh I agree, and I think the 1200 is just a masterpiece aesthetically and technically. When I stopped DJing and sold my sound system I tried out a LInn LP12 back to back with my 1200 and I honestly couldn’t tell the difference- nor could the salesman so I kept them. 
They’re good enough to hang on the wall tbh. 

I’ll add to this that of the 2 Creek amps I tried, the more expensive was clearly much better sounding - but the decks were as good as identical to me and this was in a dedicate listening room, back to back, same records, all other gear the same. Was a bit disappointed as I really fancied that Linn at the time. I know it’s be in bits by now though. 

On 02/08/2021 at 19:49, cubik said:

I love Humanoid (and FSOL). New bubbly acid basslined goodness from them:

humanoid1.thumb.jpg.99022f14911d25c44d7c57b5ac6d6f89.jpg

humanoid2.thumb.jpg.cb8e74716635a4c0f6d7eb820c974888.jpg

Now looking at bloody turntables - I can’t remotely justify getting one mind.  Mustn’t get dragged in…..

Anyways….

E8359279-8403-4FFF-9359-250998037A02.jpeg

2 hours ago, Dr Nookie said:

Now looking at bloody turntables - I can’t remotely justify getting one mind.  Mustn’t get dragged in…..

Anyways….

E8359279-8403-4FFF-9359-250998037A02.jpeg

The greatest album of all time. Fact. 

4 hours ago, Dr Nookie said:

Anyways….

On the subject of new turntables, I have to ask why? You're in the 1200/1210 gang anyway which everyone knows is where the cool kids are.

If it's to improve the sound, why not look at a cart upgrade. What cart do you have on it?

20 minutes ago, cubik said:

On the subject of new turntables, I have to ask why? You're in the 1200/1210 gang anyway which everyone knows is where the cool kids are.

If it's to improve the sound, why not look at a cart upgrade. What cart do you have on it?

Ah well a couple of reasons. 

- pure want

- better sound not sure how significant that gain would be)

- both decks need a service as I’ve had them for 30 years

- pure want

I’d only upgrade one which would be the main deck 

Both decks were running ancient 680el’s so just changed one for a new AT - XP5 which I’m pretty happy with tbh.  Toyed with a more hifi cart but really deck need a service first.