1 hour ago, Huz said:

The silver lining for me is that it made me watch Star Trek Enterprise, which I gave up on way too early the first time round, and I loved it. It also made me watch The Orville, which I thought looked stupid but couldn't possibly be as stupid as Discovery.

You know Discovery is bad when it makes Enterprise look good

• Upvote 2

I think at this point the reason we're all still going to watch Discovery is because it's actually now a fascinating exercise in how bad something can possibly be written without someone pulling the plug somewhere, and just what levels of awful can be reached while still getting positive reviews and millions of dollars splashed towards it. We know something like Transformers has been made to be expensive and dumb, but this is frequently written to attempt to be profound (and it really doesn't know how bad it is), and thus reaches new depths of previously unimagined ways that something could suck.

• Upvote 7

I'll watch until it has nailed the coffin of TV Trek well and truly fucking shut forever. I need to see how utterly stupid it can get - and you're right, they really do seem to genuinely think they're writing some incredible shit, which makes it all the more depressing...ly addictive.

• Empathy 1
  • 5 months later...

I havent posted in here for ages as I watched S2 ep 1 and just drifted away due to apathy.

Have watched , and yes, enjoyed Picard and seeing some of the comments in that thread comparing it to Discovery - AND being at something of a loose end for tv to watch I thought I'd go back to Discovery and give S2 a watch.

and immediately I am given a classic trek episode in S2 ep2 ... great one shot story (with the usual tendrils of crappy over arching story) covering classic trek tropes. Pike was very good and it felt like "proper" trek... then I noted the episode director being Frakes and it all added up (not that he writes the scripts but the man knows how to do an episode that properly feels like Trek).

So I was just thinking that maybe it had found its feet and I was unkind etc  and clicked through to the next episode - and ... I am watching S2E3 and, oh christ, that Klingon lot is back and the idiot who is humand and Klingon in one and brought S1 flooding back and arrrrrrgggghhhhh!!!!

I will continue to watch as I am at a loose end as I say.... maybe there is another nugget or two of good trek in here.

• Empathy 1
22 minutes ago, Clipper said:

I havent posted in here for ages as I watched S2 ep 1 and just drifted away due to apathy.

Have watched , and yes, enjoyed Picard and seeing some of the comments in that thread comparing it to Discovery - AND being at something of a loose end for tv to watch I thought I'd go back to Discovery and give S2 a watch.

and immediately I am given a classic trek episode in S2 ep2 ... great one shot story (with the usual tendrils of crappy over arching story) covering classic trek tropes. Pike was very good and it felt like "proper" trek... then I noted the episode director being Frakes and it all added up (not that he writes the scripts but the man knows how to do an episode that properly feels like Trek).

So I was just thinking that maybe it had found its feet and I was unkind etc  and clicked through to the next episode - and ... I am watching S2E3 and, oh christ, that Klingon lot is back and the idiot who is humand and Klingon in one and brought S1 flooding back and arrrrrrgggghhhhh!!!!

I will continue to watch as I am at a loose end as I say.... maybe there is another nugget or two of good trek in here.

There isn't.

It's good hate-watching though.

S2E2 was definitely a weird anomaly. It's alllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll downhill after that. You are going to be absolutely dumbstruck at how bad Season 2 is. The writers of nu-Trek are complete fucking hacks with zero respect for the history or future of the show.

• Upvote 7

It gets so much worse. There's one episode in particular in which literally every single thing that happens is moronically stupid, but the whole season is ridiculous.

I didn't like Picard , although it had its high points, but this was so much worse.

1 hour ago, Mogster said:

I didn't like Picard , although it had its high points, but this was so much worse.

I liked Picard, although it clearly had a few issues. But Discovery is beyond redemption. It's just utterly stupid from start to finish, and getting worse.

I can't wait for series 3 so I can hate watch it and bitch about it here.

• Upvote 1

well update for anyone who cares - I still rate S2E2 it is a good star trek episode by any standard.

S2E3 made me want to cancel my Netflix sub and throw my TV out just in case I accidentally clicked on the episode again... To even mention it in the same breath as the "classic" TNG episodes of Sub Rosa and "Code of Honour" would be an insult to those episodes!

Even those fan made things where they paid some of the trek actors like Tim Russ and Walter Koenig are better than that episode!

Not looking forward to episode 4... but I will soldier on til I find a place to stream The Orville from so I can cleanse my pallette with S2 of that which I haven't watched yet!

EDIT - looking at the gaps in my Star trek viewing history I might have to brave Voyager S6 on and Enterprise S3 on if I am planning to watch the arse end of Discovery

• Empathy 1
2 hours ago, Clipper said:

well update for anyone who cares - I still rate S2E2 it is a good star trek episode by any standard.

S2E3 made me want to cancel my Netflix sub and throw my TV out just in case I accidentally clicked on the episode again... To even mention it in the same breath as the "classic" TNG episodes of Sub Rosa and "Code of Honour" would be an insult to those episodes!

Even those fan made things where they paid some of the trek actors like Tim Russ and Walter Koenig are better than that episode!

Not looking forward to episode 4... but I will soldier on til I find a place to stream The Orville from so I can cleanse my pallette with S2 of that which I haven't watched yet!

EDIT - looking at the gaps in my Star trek viewing history I might have to brave Voyager S6 on and Enterprise S3 on if I am planning to watch the arse end of Discovery

Keep the updates coming. Save Enterprise 3 and 4 until you're sure you've hit your lowest point. They're genuinely good trek. Obviously don't match up to ds9 or tng at their height but very good nonetheless.

• Upvote 1

I didn't mind season 2 of Discovery. But I watched every episode while drunk.

Season 1 I watched sober though, and I liked it.

I thought Picard was worse than either seasons of Discovery though. But for the most part I was sober.......

1 minute ago, drmick said:

I didn't mind season 2 of Discovery. But I watched every episode while drunk.

Season 1 I watched sober though, and I liked it.

I thought Picard was worse than either seasons of Discovery though. But for the most part I was sober.......

This doesn't prove anything apart from you having terrible taste in trek. Drunk or sober. :)

• Upvote 2

S2E4 - nice enough trek episode at its heart, I can see what it was aiming for and the overarching crap is kept to a "minimum" (yes I know more Tyler and mirror-yeoh bollocks but it is restrained for Discovery). This is also a really obviously clunky cipher to "fix" one of the elements of Saru. Not badly done overall, didn't hate it and Saru was used well... I put it on a par with the TNG episode "the Child"  where Troy was pregnant by an alien thing.

So errrrrrrr it passed a very low bar

S2E5 - jesus christ we are back to fungus network shite, mirror universe rubbish and beardy human/klingon irritation. ST has a ship that diguise itself as a rock and yet in TNG we saw secret starship phasing tech that caused it to reappear in rock - why did they bother if they had that sort of tech! And the Hugh stuff makes zero sense, was about to play out better than I thought  and then they totally screwed the pooch!

One thing I am now putting my finger on - more than Season 1 it fails as a modern Star trek series as it is ignoring the ensemble element that was the strength of TNG and DS9. Putting aside piss poor writing (as that happens!) there is no core crew.. The captain is half decent  but forgettable which is unforgiveable in ST - even Archer was memorable! The rest of the crew is BURNHAM and TILLY and then a side order of Saru and Stammets (when plot needs more than 2 main characters). The remainder of the crew, whilst striking and recognisable, are painfully underused to the point where you think "why aren't you USING these striking looking bridge officers".

That is its biggest failing. If they had done a new Star Trek Discovery with a better used ensemble and the same plot points and writing - it would still be rubbish - but it might have a base to build from. TNG had that base from S1 and S2 ... Discovery so far does not.

• Upvote 3

(I will reiterate that these posts are mostly for my own sanity in "curecnt climate" - a way to utilise my internal monologue, externalising for my own amusement - nigh on 20 years ago I used to write DVD reviews for a website due to excess spare time - including most of TNG on its original DVD release - now I am doing this on here! ;) )

S2E6

The opening is good. A nice monologue by Saru and deals with his changes well - beginning to think , despite his issues in S1 ( as the early warning system for Lorca!) - that he is actually one of the (only) good parts of Discovery. Nice trek setup of "hey we got a signal" and "ooooh it affects a crew member deeply on a personal level" - good stuff. However when Saru confronts Pike on the bridge about the away team there are multiple crew reactions and swelling music... not needed at all , in TNG or other Trek all it would need is a solid stare reaction shot between the two and then the captain exerts authority and lets the officer know he understands... instead BURNHAM steps in and undercuts the captain. A perfect example of how Discovery writers do not value the captain or the ensemble!

However the subsequent conflict stand off on the bridge with some spiky acting from Saru is well done - "rulers" of the planet reveal their hand well  - rubbish ship design but nicely done dramatically. Really good bridge scene in fact. Shields Up - Red alert said the captain (called for when the ships revealed) means the transporter scene makes no sense at all and......... Burnham intervenes or tries to she must be knackered from constantly intervening has she been cloned or something? Utterly stupid weak writing. This is basic stuff - a decent episode premise and they just fuck it up for overly dramatic beats they want to hit regardless of logic. Another failing of Discovery. Then it is back to BURNHAM and TILLY to wise crack until one of them "solves" the problem - except this time one of the under-used ensemble of interesting characters ( or would be if they were given anything at all to do)  has 2 lines to solve it - so really BURNHAM AND TILLY just wisecrack.

A great reveal on the real planet conflict - again true Star trek new civilisation stuff - turning the expectations on their heads ... admittedly only as good as TNG episode Symbiosis in terms of a twist but it is still decent stuff comparitively.

there is a hail and BURNHAM says they should accept it - no word from the Captain and it is accepted - Pike may as well not be there at this point.

And then ... and then... fucking hell they utterly fuck it up. A planet totally changed , evolution changed on the whim of a crew member, "yeah lets just force an entire species to evolve for shits and giggles". Pike demoted to someone who simply says "should we do this?" - he is the fucking captain! what has happened to Star Trek FFS. Also the utterly lazy trope of the "bad guys" being balck and dripping goop like the oil Slick that killed Tasha ffs!

Utter shite and misses the point of Star trek more than pretty much anything I have seen! And in terms of Prime Directive/General Order 1? I mean toss that on the fire it is done.

Yes I know TNG broke Prime Directive but this is just on another level of utter bollocks and then the overarching S2 plot device appears? And then BURNHAM randomly changes her destination? pfffffft

Pike's court martial in The Menagerie (pt1 and 2) should be CGI altered to be him just beeping out "Burnham told me to do it" over and over and over

*This leads me to another "interesting" idea - Instead of picking your favourite crew (too easy), which crew members would you swap between series to improve them. I propose moving Saru to Enterprise and swap for T'pol. T'pol was always a bit meh in Enterprise , buttoned down into a role where she had to be a party pooper to the human explorers (in S1 and S2 certainly). In Discovery she and Burnham could butt heads quite well. Then in Enterprise Saru perfect for a crew member to create conflict with the embryonic prime directive. Archer wouldn't have fucked up his entire species either!

• Upvote 5

no. none of them from Discovery. I'd give an actual testicle for someone with a brain to buy Star Trek,  and officially declare Discovery and Picard (plus any discovery shit in the MMO) as officially non-cannon. Pretend it didnt happen.

• Empathy 1
1 hour ago, Clipper said:

However when Saru confronts Pike on the bridge about the away team there are multiple crew reactions and swelling music...

I'd forgotten that this happens in Discovery. So good.

(Bad)

I'm gonna enjoy reading these reviews, like being reminded of a bad dream.

Interesting point about the ensemble cast. If nothing else the law of averages means at least one of them might turn out to be a likeable character so even though we know BURNHAM and TILLY (I like the capitalisation) deserve nothing more than being fired out an airlock, utilising the whole bridge crew would make one in five episodes tolerable.

Discovery’s constant focus on BURNHAM and TILLY (yes I’m going to do that too) is easily its biggest flaw. The amount of shit that BURNHAM turns out to be responsible for in S2 is ridiculous. And TILLY is a Wesley-tier character, just instantly aggravating every time she wobbles on to screen. 

• Upvote 3