rllmuk

Looks like we can forget about Discovery jumping into the Picard show. It's actually jumping 1000 years into the future :blink2:

2 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Looks like we can forget about Discovery jumping into the Picard show. It's actually jumping 1000 years into the future :blink2:

They said 900 in the show, and they're 100 years-ish behind TNG, and another 30+ behind Picard. So 770 years gap really.

And you know, time and space and stuff, so they could be anywhere.

As long as they don’t fuck it up (of course they’re going to fuck it up), seeing the ships and tech available that far into the future could be interesting.

Well, with the AI destroyed there was no reason to go into the future at all, unless the AI *wasn't* destroyed.

And if it wasn't destroyed, then pretty much all life in the galaxy was instead. So there ain't gonna be anything left in the future to wow over.

2 hours ago, deKay said:

Well, with the AI destroyed there was no reason to go into the future at all, unless the AI *wasn't* destroyed.

And if it wasn't destroyed, then pretty much all life in the galaxy was instead. So there ain't gonna be anything left in the future to wow over.

They took the information that allowed the AI to destroy all life in the galaxy with them, meaning the AI was no longer an existential threat and would (presumably) be mopped up by the regular characters back in the present.

15 hours ago, Jammy said:

As long as they don’t fuck it up (of course they’re going to fuck it up), seeing the ships and tech available that far into the future could be interesting.

I've generally assumed that we got a taste of their vision of Star Trek 3000 (as I'm choosing to call it) with the webisode "Calypso", where the Federation doesn't exist, human colonies are stuck in wars for survival and the Discovery has a sentient AI running it but is in hiding for unexplained reasons. I guess I'm saying it may not look much like Star Trek.

• Upvote 1

Have we seen anything this far forward in the future from Trek before? 

I know there was the Federation time ship stuff in Voyager and mystery man Daniels in Enterprise but I assume they were from a time only a couple of centuries past the TNG era?

Chronically, I think Voyager's Living Witness is the furthest set episode, sometime in the 30th century. The episode itself doesn't tell us much about the status of Starfleet or the Alpha Quadrant though. Top ep though. 

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, Alex W. said:

I've generally assumed that we got a taste of their vision of Star Trek 3000 (as I'm choosing to call it) with the webisode "Calypso", where the Federation doesn't exist, human colonies are stuck in wars for survival and the Discovery has a sentient AI running it but is in hiding for unexplained reasons. I guess I'm saying it may not look much like Star Trek.

Andromeda then

21 hours ago, Papaya Dance said:

MV5BMjE3NjYxMDIyOF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwODE4ODk0NjM@._V1_SX1777_CR0,0,1777,747_AL_.jpg

I can't tell if she's shocked, happy, sad, thoughtful... it's like she has one facial expression for everything.

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, Meh said:

I can't tell if she's shocked, happy, sad, thoughtful... it's like she has one facial expression for everything.

The ‘feeling hurt, just about to cry’ look ?

On 10/10/2017 at 00:44, Benny said:

I can only reiterate that Lorca seems to be anti-trek very much on purpose. It's not like they don't understand the themes of Star Trek and what actually matters in a Star Trek story going by the end of the last episode.

I think some people are hung up on the idea that for it to be a Star Trek story it absolutely must have everyone being nice and utopian and exploring stuff from the outset, which is very much a description of how the pieces on the board would be laid out if you will. But that's not what matters, what matters is the story being told, and Star Trek has always explored interesting themes of different cultures or ideals coming into conflict, and that is exactly what this series seems to be exploring.

So I think if anything it is even more "Star Trek" than the recent films in capturing what is important in a Star Trek story.

This post really hasn't aged well.

• Empathy 5

Phasers that go "phut-phut-phut" instead of beams.

YES. This is a totally pointless change, particularly because the beams look better, sound better and are much more interesting.

@Sprite Machine Thank you for many a good laugh in that epic post. Significantly more entertaining than the two seasons of Disco it charts.

You survived the suffering, lost you’re self-respect ganglia, and now you’re one of us, ready to hate-watch season 3. Bring it on!

• Upvote 7