Commander Jameson

Star Trek Discovery - new TV show materialising 24 Sep 2017

6 hours ago, Tezcatlipoca said:

I dunno. It's not quite the same twist as the one that everyone's been waiting for them to reveal.

Reveal hidden contents

... As instead of "Albino Klingon is pretending to be human" it looks like "Albino Klingon actually thinks he's human".

Very true and a more interesting angle to go down. Still the same basic twist though if true. 

Did anyone else catch the specific shots we see of Lorca fiddling with his control panel before the final jump. Slightly suspicious. Could be another red herring although could support the other theory that he's

actually from the mirror universe and messed with the final jump to deliberately get him self home. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Gommy said:

The US splits a bunch of shows in half right?  So this is just a standard network thing?

I don't think this is quite the same as the splitting of seasons that happened with Mad Men/ Walking Dead etc.  They just finished shooting the season finale, so with all the effects work they probably really needed the break.  On the other hand, it does help the US subscription service by stretching it out.

I really enjoyed this first arc.  The battle scene was pretty great, felt like the whole crew worked together and pushed the ship to its limits a bit like Master and Commander. 

8 hours ago, Garibaldi said:

As regards the episode, the 'one more jump' bit irritated me too..

Hide contents

You could say it's down to Lorca being a shit Captain due to his trauma, but that's a bit of a stretch. When you've been directly told that your chief engineer is suffering unknown levels of brain damage from jumps, and you've just had him perform 100+ of the fucking things, you don't do a 'sit this one out. Really? You sure?  Ok then!' It would be Lorca who tells Stamets he's benched indefinitely pending a battery of medical tests, not vice versa. Especially as they already have the cloaking data and a headstart on any pursuing Klingons.

And it was only done to save a 3 hour drive back to the star base :lol: 

• Upvote 1

Apparently they stick critically injured people on a tiny shuttle instead of just flying them there on the big fuck of starship with a massive warp drive and a sick bay.

• Upvote 3

This show keeps repeatedly veering between enjoyably entertaining and annoying utter bollocks.

Spoiler

He was only One Last Jump away from retirement.

• Upvote 5

Can't detect the cloaked Klingon ships

Since Episode 1 the problem is the cloaked Klingon ships

Need the crystal spire to be able to detect cloaked Klingon ships

Need the silly boarding plan to detect cloaked Klingon ships

Before they do it: "Sir, long range sensors have detected the power signature of a cloaked Klingon vessel entering Pavos orbit."

Amazing. So you already have a way of detecting them, and where they are.

• Upvote 8

10 hours ago, McCoy said:

Did anyone else catch the specific shots we see of Lorca fiddling with his control panel before the final jump. Slightly suspicious. Could be another red herring although could support the other theory that he's

Hide contents

actually from the mirror universe and messed with the final jump to deliberately get him self home. 

Yes! If you pause the video, he overrrode the planned coordinates, with the new ones designated as unknown. Definitely planned!

• Upvote 2

13 hours ago, MDY said:

It was designed to be split in half (-ish - 3 intro and two 6 ep arcs) from the start.. with a different major plot in each - as far as I recall reading in earlier articles..

Hide contents

I'm assuming they didn't get around to transmitting the cloak scanning data to Starfleet before they jumped either - given the captain specifically mentioned it would be 11 hours before they finished working on it (or something?).. So lots of angry cloaked Klingons are going to be going after Starfleet and Discovery has just vanished..

Spoiler

In TOS I think only the Romulans have access to cloaking devices. I assumed it was going to be a thing where the Klingon cloaking device is so thoroughly technologically outdone that they stop using it.

Although the whole "we're going to be 11 hours getting this ready to send you" thing does seem like it has a point.

Oh boy those sensors. Those fuckin' sensors. Not only did these super critical devices emit a disco light show when switched on but they forgot to mute the damn things too.

• Upvote 5

18 minutes ago, Alex W. said:

Hide contents

In TOS I think only the Romulans have access to cloaking devices. I assumed it was going to be a thing where the Klingon cloaking device is so thoroughly technologically outdone that they stop using it.

Although the whole "we're going to be 11 hours getting this ready to send you" thing does seem like it has a point.

I imagine that last point will be used to add an air or urgency to season 1B.

Great episode, very satisfying. I'm willing to turn a blind eye to all its shortcomings because its Star trek. ^_^

Spoiler

I do hope they get their act together :unsure:

Something I've been wondering about is Lorca's interest in Burnham.

He went out of his way to engineer things so she'd end up on his ship in the first place, and since then he has seemed strangely protective of her on more than one occasion. 

15 minutes ago, Tezcatlipoca said:

He went out of his way to engineer things so she'd end up on his ship in the first place, and since then he has seemed strangely protective of her on more than one occasion. 

Theres no romance involved, that we know.

14 hours ago, Tezcatlipoca said:

He's going to end up being her evil dad isn't he?

18 minutes ago, Captain Novaforce said:

He's going to end up being her evil dad isn't he?

That's my theory - he's been too specifically concerned about her on a number of occasions now.

2 hours ago, Matt Defis said:

Didn't they say he was the only survivor from his previous ship and all others aboard died? Suspicious no?

Not only that, he destroyed the ship himself. Self destructed rather than let it be captured, but didn't go down with his ship. There's surely something more to that.

I think it's enough to show he's got this "sacrifice anything but me" attitude. He's got an opportunistic streak. Although he'll rarely go out and do something explicitly wrong, if he can spin a situation in a way that keeps him and his career out of harm's way, he'll do it.

I think he might value Burnham as some sort of bargaining chip, as someone important to both the Klingons and Vulcans. He's definitely up to something though.

26 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Not only that, he destroyed the ship himself. Self destructed rather than let it be captured, but didn't go down with his ship. There's surely something more to that.

Only following Kirk's example

• Upvote 2

I do wonder what the Enterprise crew think about the Discovery. I imagine that they're a bit jealous of their swanky uniforms and holograms but overall glad that they're not stuck on a ship crewed almost exclusively by dickheads.

• Upvote 4

I don't get away they didn't just install time-jump warps in all their old ships? Was the Discovery and it's sister ship the only one with the spore drive?