Keyboard Koala

Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE

Because this is getting pretty good reviews everywhere, and there doesn't seem to be a thread about it...

WiiU_TokyoMirageSessions_logo_r.png

SI_WiiU_TokyoMirageSessionsFE.jpg

Tokyo Mirage Sessions ♯FE is a crossover role-playing video game developed by Atlus and published by Nintendo for the Wii U home console. The game is based on the two companies' respective Shin Megami Tensei and Fire Emblem series. The game was released in Japan in December 2015, and internationally in June 2016.

The gameplay uses a turn-based battle system in which the characters merge with beings known as Mirages to fight enemies, employing a variety of attacks and abilities, including creating combined attacks with multiple characters.

Tokyo Mirage Sessions ♯FE is set in modern-day Tokyo, with real-life locations such as Shibuya and Harajuku being featured. Tokyo has become beset by attacks from an alternate dimension called the Idolosphere, with beings known as Mirages harvesting an energy called Performa from humans. The story focuses on a group of young people who become allied with friendly Mirages by chance, and are recruited by Fortuna Entertainment: while outwardly a talent agency, Fortuna is dedicated to preventing invasions from the Idolosphere.

Tokyo Mirage Sessions ♯FE was first proposed by Nintendo producer Kaori Ando, who envisioned a crossover between the Fire Emblem and Shin Megami Tensei series. Although initially reluctant due to their workload, Atlus agreed to the collaboration, and much of the early work went into deciding what genre of game it was going to be, and how best to incorporate both series while creating an original game. The production period lasted five years. A notable feature was musical numbers produced by Japanese entertainment company Avex Group. The game was announced two months after full development began. Due to its Japanese setting and aesthetic, its Western release retains the Japanese voice track with subtitles rather than an English dub.

E3 2016 trailer:

Story trailer:

Launch trailer:

>> Official website

Review scores:

GameSpot – 8 / 10
Polygon – 9.5 / 10
Nintendo World Report – 9 / 10
GamesRadar – 4 / 5
Destructoid – 8 / 10
Nintendo Life – 8 / 10
Game Informer – 8.25 / 10
EDGE – 7 / 10
Eurogamer – Recommended

W9hDAOK.jpg

• Upvote 6

I know Game broke the street date on this and Mario and Sonic Rio 2016 because they've been selling them in store all week.

I was skeptical about getting this due to the lack of faith that has been put into pushing it (wasn't even at E3 last week) and because I'm not sure who the games audience is supposed to be but hearing that it is reviewing well is enough to make me consider getting it.

This is really fun. I hadn't even heard of it until it was shown on the Nintendo treehouse at E3 last week. I started to watch it, seen Atlus on the screen and pre-ordered before watching the rest of the session. 

I've only played it for 3 hours and really didn't want to put it down. Annoyingly you can't play it on the game pad (or it would have come upstairs with me) but I can understand why. The gamepad is utilised rather well and serves as a few different functions. The main one being that it is pretty much your smartphone. You get text messages from your friends and can choose replies and the conversations are really quite amusing. It also serves as a really good map and provides very detailed status information in battles too. 

The combat is incredibly fun. If you have played the persona games then it will feel familiar from the get go. I always feel a bit overwhelmed when so much is thrown at you at the start of a JRPG, but knowing the skills without having to read up on them felt like I could get stuck right in. The mirage is also quite similar to fusions in some ways. So the whole system just feels familiar despite being new. 

The only other "annoying" thing is that whilst there are English subtitles for the out of battle sequences, there are none during the battles themselves or at the end of battles so I have no idea what my party are shouting at each other. And the only reason that is annoying is because the writing is amusing and I feel as though I am missing a joke or two.

I think it looks gorgeous as well. Really vibrant and I really like the designs of the characters / mirages. :)

Oh and the J-Pop is awesome.

• Upvote 3

I've had this preordered from Nintendo because, well, it's a Persona/Fire Emblem crossover, of course I would. Alas, as I have it preordered from Nintendo, it's not even been dispatched yet, so I've a while to wait still.

The review in Edge was promising, as are Rikku's comments above (though I'm disappointed to hear that the chatter has been left unsubbed), so I'm very much looking forward to it - though with Mirror's Edge Catalyst and Fire Emblem Fates still unfinished (and an anniversary gift of Kirby and the Magic Paintbrush unstarted) it'll probably be a while before I try it even if Nintendo do pull their finger out any time soon!

Totally forgot all about this game! Just ordered it :). It's been ages since I played an interesting JRPG and this looks like it will scratch that itch. 

If the UK votes to leave, does it mean we can finally get rid of those USK ratings and bilingual text from our limited edition Nintendo boxes?

Because that key issue is what I'm basing my vote on.

original.jpg

• Upvote 3

Yeah, it's great! Nintendo send review codes out surprisingly early, so I finished this a month ago. I didn't expect it to be so good, but I also didn't expect it to be very similar to Persona. (I've only played Persona 4 Golden on my Vita, though.) A lot of the mechanics were familiar to me because of that, which definitely helped with my enjoyment.

My only real niggle was that it's not the SMT x Fire Emblem crossover I hoped for, primarily as this is, again, very much a Persona game. The Fire Emblem influences are very sparse, and only really start shining towards the end of the game, plot wise.

But yeah, awesome J-RPG. And I'm not even that big a fan of the genre :)

So this is being sold in Game today? I'm off today and have some stuff to trade in so I'm tempted to wander over after I vote...

6 minutes ago, Dig Dug said:

They are charging £50 however.

Yeah, I changed my mind. I'll get it from Granger tomorrow instead. Thanks.

44 minutes ago, Spainkiller said:

My only real niggle was that it's not the SMT x Fire Emblem crossover I hoped for, primarily as this is, again, very much a Persona game. The Fire Emblem influences are very sparse, and only really start shining towards the end of the game, plot wise.

It seems bizarre that given Fire Emblem is and has always been the same sort of game that they ended up just putting the FE part in as almost an afterthought rather than making the game a proper combination of the two as was the initial impression, especially given SMT Devil Survivor has similar gameplay to Fire Emblem.

Sounds like a decent game regardless, but a complete waste of the use of Fire Emblem that reflects in the title of the final game, with Fire Emblem being relegated to just its initials tacked on the end.

A lot of baffling decisions get made with the Fire Emblem franchise such as sending Shadow Dragon out to die (they printed how many?), not releasing New Mystery of the Emblem internationally, putting 3 near identical characters into smash bros, not putting Radiant Dawn on wii u virtual console, TMS having almost nothing to do with Fire Emblem, and finally creating an entire trading card game based on the franchise and then not releasing it internationally (especially as it only covers the games that got international releases) when the series is breaking its own sales records with each new release.

• Upvote 1

I'm wondering whether to get this as I don't even know when I'll get the time to play it... but if it is really in such relative short supply will I have to pay the earth to get hold of it if and when I ever do have the time? I've still not even unsealed Zelda TP HD yet. Christ, I've not even started Persona 4 Golden (had played some P4 previously, but abandoned that in favour of a P4G playthrough that never began). Then I remember I never finished off Devil Survivor either.

It appears I'm not good at this gaming business.

1 hour ago, Flub said:

Preordered from Amazon for 40. Fuck you Nintendo.

Game looks amazing.

It's £33 at Base, and they dispatched mine already.