God of War (2018) - Magni-ficent!

I don't believe a thread has been started about this.

Not sure it will have the subtitle "A New Beginning", but the site alludes to it.  Also, I thought his voice sounded different in this, and it is indeed a different voice actor.  TC Carson is out, and in comes Christopher Judge.  I don't know much about the latter, but Carson was pretty rubbish, and part of the reason Kratos is such a shit protagonist. Hopefully Judge can add some nuance. 

I mean, I get that they want to do something new, and the ancient Greece thing had been played out, but this not look at all like a god of war game. In fact, it reminded me of those early vids of the Tomb raider reboot, where lara was hunting stuff. 

Seems odd to take it this far away from what the series is known for and not just call it something else. 

12 hours ago, Yoshimax said:

When's it out? This year or next?

Definitely not this year. That much is confirmed. Lots of speculation you'll play as the kid, but the developers have said you'll play as Kratos throughout. Although they could be trolling, dunno.

I thought it looked great. Obvious Last of Us/Tomb Raider/Ryse vibes going on, but a welcome refresh for a series thats been stuck in its archaic ways for too long.

No.3 on my wish list.

If you look at the thumbnail of the trailer, Kratos seems to have a great big scar on his abdomen, as you would expect after God Of War 3.

I thought this was a complete reboot but now I'm thinking at the end of GoW3 Kratos leaves Greece to get wherever this is set (Scandinavia?).

Yes, I think they said they're going for Norse mythology for this one, and probably future ones. I wonder if Odin and Thor will be in this.

1 hour ago, carlospie said:

This looks glorious. I think youl be Kratos early on then the boy. 

I thought that but apparently been confirmed that you're Kratos the whole way through

1 hour ago, HarryBizzle said:

If you look at the thumbnail of the trailer, Kratos seems to have a great big scar on his abdomen, as you would expect after God Of War 3.

I thought this was a complete reboot but now I'm thinking at the end of GoW3 Kratos leaves Greece to get wherever this is set (Scandinavia?).

Pretty sure they said at e3 this follows on the story and is not a reboot 

14 hours ago, Doctor Shark said:

I mean, I get that they want to do something new, and the ancient Greece thing had been played out, but this not look at all like a god of war game. In fact, it reminded me of those early vids of the Tomb raider reboot, where lara was hunting stuff. 

Seems odd to take it this far away from what the series is known for and not just call it something else. 

They're doing something that's popular now - slapping an established name on a new game. Its marketing.

As someone who liked the old style GoW games, I am a little ambivalent, but I guess with the PS2/PS3/PSP games we have had what, 7 games in that style? So it probably is time for a change. Fare ye well, square square triangle.

Bit creeped out by the premise of tutoring a young boy in the ways of gory murder.

"Boy, I want to have a talk to you about the birds and the bees. I know you're starting to notice girls now and are feeling changes in your body. Inevitably at some point you'll wander behind a curtain or go left when you should have gone right and find three naked ladies with gravity defying tits the size of footballs beckoning to you. so just press X ,O, X, O, X, X, O and then do a qurter circle with the right stick to finish off. If you do it right you'll get a health boost."

• Upvote 5

I thought that looked a bit too cinematic and all of the fights (not just the troll fight) looked a bit canned, if you know what I mean? Could be just because it was the tutorial, of course.

11 minutes ago, gospvg said:

20th April release date announced, how is this thread still on the 1st page?

I think people forgot God of War was a thing. Sub-par prequels will do that.

1 hour ago, Lothar Hex said:

Sub-par prequels will do that.

I'll take any of those prequels over God Of War 3 any day.

Anyway more info here -

https://blog.eu.playstation.com/2018/01/23/god-of-war-release-date-announced-special-editions-revealed-new-trailer-debuts/

New Trailer -

Game has pre-orders up for the Limited and Collector's Editions -

https://www.game.co.uk/en/games/god-of-war-4/?cm_sp=home-_-banner0-_-GodofWar

• Upvote 1

Well at least Kratos doesn't seem like the worlds most unlikeable protagonist anymore. Enjoyed the originals for their technical aspects and the combat was easy going enough but listening to that fucking overgrown teenager growl at everything in sight really pushed me close to turning it off for good.

• Upvote 1

Really looking forward to this.

Hoping for some parenting tips for when my son is a few years older and we have to go out and kill some mythical beasts. 

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Retroid said:

Well I love God of War *and* new ideas so this seems right up my alley. Day 1*

*After my birthday, I'm cripplingly poor.

It's my birthday on April 30th so that's my present from family sorted. 

So it seems from that trailer that (potential story spoilers)

Spoiler

Kratos doesn't just look like the Kratos we know, and isn't even descended from him, but actually IS him, cursed with immortality. But seems being alive for thousands of years has tempered his anger somewhat.

59 minutes ago, Orko said:

So it seems from that trailer that (potential story spoilers)

Reveal hidden contents

Kratos doesn't just look like the Kratos we know, and isn't even descended from him, but actually IS him, cursed with immortality. But seems being alive for thousands of years has tempered his anger somewhat.

Did we ever think that wasn't the case?

Aside from what happened to him at the end of 3 he did become a God after all - doesn't immortality kind of come with the territory?

Hopefully we get a bit of a change from previous games, and instead of murdering the hosts of Asgard, they become an ally or something instead.