rllmuk
Jamie John

Days Gone - Sons of Anarchy x Last of Us

Roll those credits! Hugely enjoyable game overall, such a shame the initial release was so badly fumbled. But glad I read the thread and jumped in albeit later than most.

Only missing a few trophies so going to go for the Platinum. Also heard there’s another ending, wouldn’t mind seeing that and then I’ll have another go at some of the challenges.

23 hours ago, Stanshall said:

I've been waiting for a sale to play it for a long time but it seems very very average so far in every respect. Cookie cutter as fuck. I've already parked it after a couple of hours. I heard it gets better but fuck me it's an unimaginative start. I need another Christmas hols to give it time to warm up, I imagine. 

Yeah that's what I'd heard but thought the patches had fixed the balance. I don't have the patience for games that take a week to get going and know I'd bin this and go back to COD after an hour. I need to accept that the whole Sony/open world template just isn't for me. A shame, because I've never played a game about zombies before.

I'm about an hour into this and I've just entered an area where all the buildings and cars look as though they've been smeared with marshmallow and there's no collision detection on the walls, so you can just drift through them.

That's a pretty awful early impression by any measure. The game is all patched up too.

Playing on a Pro, I got a bit of stuttering towards the end of the game, and the odd bit of scenery glitching, but certainly nothing out of the ordinary considering the size and scope of the open world.

Think biggest issue was with the audio, which dipped and rose to weird levels depending on the NPC character I was interacting with, but even those incidents were fairly infrequent.

Fingers-crossed. It’s a very enjoyable game once it gets going.

Platinum get! Still got a few hordes left to wipe out (surprised that isn’t a trophy) and then will have a bang on the challenges.

Also got the secret ending...

Spoiler

That was a genuine, ‘holy shit!’ moment. Makes sense looking back, and hopefully means Deacon going on a Rambo-esque rampage towards and through Nero’s headquarters whenever a sequel is confirmed.

• Upvote 1

Might get it at some point as a result. Was one of those games I was considering getting last year, but held off on getting due to its launch issues.

• Upvote 1

I started playing this last week and didn't want to say too much because it's still early days. But this game is phenomenal. I'm having so much fun. It has that emergent/sandbox feel that I haven't experienced for a very long time.

Don't be put off by the release bugs/issues as I've personally only experienced a polished gem of a game.

• Upvote 8

I’ve started playing again. Last save was May 29. Had to reinstall as I’d since deleted. It’s not remembering my save at all, even with new updates since I’d have thought this woud work ok. Ive tried downloading it again from the cloud. No joy. Any ideas?

PSN says I’ve played it for the first time.  It I’ve got trophies!? Must be a GOTY disc version I have now or something (both times have been rentals) 

On 29/01/2020 at 18:05, Mr Ben said:

Might get it at some point as a result. Was one of those games I was considering getting last year, but held off on getting due to its launch issues.

This is a great video and yes, even when I played it 6 months after launch it seemed like it had already had a litany of QOL patches. 

I really should get into the habit of not jumping in day one, as you pay the most for the roughest version. 

Day’s Gone is absolutely superb though. 

• Upvote 2

On 09/02/2020 at 20:26, MattKB said:

I’ve started playing again. Last save was May 29. Had to reinstall as I’d since deleted. It’s not remembering my save at all, even with new updates since I’d have thought this woud work ok. Ive tried downloading it again from the cloud. No joy. Any ideas?

PSN says I’ve played it for the first time.  It I’ve got trophies!? Must be a GOTY disc version I have now or something (both times have been rentals) 

Sometimes the saves are tied to the disc and it’s publisher dependent (lol Sony). I had this issue with Horizon Zero Dawn and it’s incredibly irritating but I don’t think there’s a workaround apart from buying the digital version (and even then I don’t know if that will work)

11 minutes ago, Strafe said:

Sometimes the saves are tied to the disc and it’s publisher dependent (lol Sony). I had this issue with Horizon Zero Dawn and it’s incredibly irritating but I don’t think there’s a workaround apart from buying the digital version (and even then I don’t know if that will work)

And if you buy the digital version, the PS4 doesn't recognise the disc version is installed. So you have to download the game. Unlike Xbox which sees you've already got the disc version installed, and you're ready to go in seconds.

It’s a very silly choice. It means you’re less likely to buy the game again if you lose/break the disc or want to buy it again after selling so you can buy DLC from the store (which was the case in Horizon for me).

I can’t think of a logical reason for it, short of maybe it’s some halfwitted method to stop people sharing game saves (though they’re probably tied to a user, anyway). 

6 hours ago, Strafe said:

It’s a very silly choice. It means you’re less likely to buy the game again if you lose/break the disc or want to buy it again after selling so you can buy DLC from the store (which was the case in Horizon for me).

I can’t think of a logical reason for it, short of maybe it’s some halfwitted method to stop people sharing game saves (though they’re probably tied to a user, anyway). 

I assumed it was to drive sales of PS Plus. Another quirk is that to download a save of a physical game off the cloud you need to have the game installed.

7 hours ago, Strafe said:

The main reason is that a disc and a physical release are counted as two unique SKUs then you have a unique SKU per region too. I don’t know why they have it set up this way, I presume it’s just how they decided to do it back in the PS3 hubris days and they’ve stuck with it.

All I know is it’s a dumb system from a consumer and developer POV (Means multiple builds per submission).

They’re bringing together their regional publishing arms this year though, so I think maybe ultimately this weird distinction they have between physical and digital copies might stop being a thing soon, fingers crossed.

3 hours ago, Bojangle said:

The main reason is that a disc and a physical release are counted as two unique SKUs then you have a unique SKU per region too. I don’t know why they have it set up this way, I presume it’s just how they decided to do it back in the PS3 hubris days and they’ve stuck with it.

All I know is it’s a dumb system from a consumer and developer POV (Means multiple builds per submission).

They’re bringing together their regional publishing arms this year though, so I think maybe ultimately this weird distinction they have between physical and digital copies might stop being a thing soon, fingers crossed.

I was using the disc version on both occasions, just different discs. The save is tied to a unique disc ID.

4 hours ago, gossi the dog said:

I assumed it was to drive sales of PS Plus. Another quirk is that to download a save of a physical game off the cloud you need to have the game installed.

I have PS Plus.

11 minutes ago, Strafe said:

I was using the disc version on both occasions, just different discs. The save is tied to a unique disc ID.

The same version of the disc, or a GOTY style release? If so, that's a different Title ID so saves are unique to that Title ID unless the developer specifically enables cross Title ID saves, which then opens up a world of TRC pain, which is probably why most don't bother doing that. It's a shitty system for all involved. :p

1 hour ago, Bojangle said:

The same version of the disc, or a GOTY style release? If so, that's a different Title ID so saves are unique to that Title ID unless the developer specifically enables cross Title ID saves, which then opens up a world of TRC pain, which is probably why most don't bother doing that. It's a shitty system for all involved. :p

Standard edition, both times. Sold the first copy and then got gifted the DLC. Got another different copy and it booted up from the start.

I did speak to someone in the know who advised what the cause was and it was rather irritating. I get the mechanism, I just think it’s absurd. Especially when this is an option for the publisher and the publisher was Sony, who presumably had been reading up on some of Nintendo’s rather more controversial choices and thought it would be a good idea to make one of their own.

On 07/12/2019 at 11:03, Len said:

Got a copy of this in the sales so really looking forward to playing it after Xmas. 

And we're off. Started last night for a couple of hours and looking forward to getting further stuck in.

• Upvote 1

It’s in the sale on PSN. Does anyone have experience of going disc > digital? I’m wondering if it’ll recover my save. 

So I would say I'm getting towards the end game with this (feels like the last third), though it should really be named 'Days Gone and On and On and On'. Really enjoying it though I feel the best toys have been left until the end and the best *fun* has only really started to kick in.

Spoiler

Defeated my first horde in the mission with the napalm molotovs. I was wondering when the whole horde thing was going to start. I know they're in the game earlier on but I never felt tooled up enough to deal with them. Plus the narrative kept me away from them, until now.

As much as I've loved this game I can't help feeling that they eeked it out too much. Kept more powerful weapons and gadgets locked in a gun cabinet for far too long.

I would have preferred a horde mission much earlier on. Even if it was a cooperative one with another character.

Just wondering if this is true of other peoples' experience of the game.

Got to say, I was completely thrilled by taking the horde down. It was easily one of the most intense gaming experiences of my life. The feeling you get when they're snapping at your heels and you jump on the roof of a truck to spray some more bullets at the fuckers. Awesome.

Did it by the skin of my teeth too.

24 minutes ago, cohen205 said:

I remember getting to about the halfway mark, thinking I was close to ending it and then: 

Hide contents

brand new map opens up :facepalm:

Oh man, I feel your pain. I do love this game but it feels never ending.

I really, really want to get into this but even after putting new thermal pads, stripping down and cleaning and re-applying fresh (and good quality) thermal paste, this game still makes my Pro ramp up to ridiculous levels. I'm genuinely concerned for the health of the console whenever I try to play it :(