Days Gone - Sons of Anarchy x Last of Us

DaysGone_Logo_White_1465877632-ds1-670x3

E3 Announce trailer:

Spoiler

E3 Gameplay demo:

Spoiler

E3 LiveCast:

Spoiler

This formed a fairly big chunk of the Sony conference and it looked pretty cool to me. According to the developers in the LiveCast, and going by what was shown in the gameplay video, it's a post-apocalyptic open-world adventure game set in the Pacific Northwest where you play a biker-turned-bounty hunter, riding across the gorgeous environment while trying to avoid huge hordes of former human beings that the developers emphatically say aren't zombies but are in fact called 'Freakers'.

My first thoughts on watching the video was that it was a Last of Us spin off, which got me very excited. It turns out it's not, but in as much as it does look very derivative of other games and franchises, I think the horde-chasing-you mechanic and the non-linear design should make for some interesting gameplay. Even just watching the demo I found myself urging the player character to get away, so it all seems suitably intense.

On the downside, the developers are definitely not Naughty Dog, the last thing they made being the Uncharted game for the Vita, which was pretty sub-par from what I can remember, and the Syphon Filter games before that, which I haven't played but, from what I can recall, were reasonably well reviewed. There's no release date yet from what I can see, but apparently they've been making it for three years, and the demo, if it is actual gameplay (which, admittedly, it did look like), looked pretty polished from where I was sitting, so maybe early 2017, or possibly even by the end of the year.

I especially like what seemed to be happening in the gameplay video, where the player was strategically trying to kill the enemies in particular places so that their dead bodies formed an obstacle for the other enemies and slowed them down. That seems like a mechanic that has a lot of potential. The developers are also selling it as entirely open world, so just because the player in the demo ducked underneath the train car, for example, you don't have to go that way in the actual game, meaning that horde encounters can be played out in lots of different ways and you can get creative with the way that you use the environment to your advantage. Your bike will also play a big role as there are very few working vehicles in the environment, meaning that it's more like your 'noble steed' than a bike.

What are your thoughts?

• Upvote 8

It looked cool. But I was convinced the Naughty Dog logo was going to pop up at some point. I suppose imitation is the sincerest form of flattery after all.

I'm definitely interested in shooting big loads of zombies and laughing as they fall over in a pile but the tesco-value TLOU presentation is hard to ignore.

The only thing i thought whilst watching the gameplay was "why is he wasting so much ammo?" 

But the World War Z, zombies-upon-zombies looked pretty cool. I assume its Sony's po-faced answer to Dead Rising.

We briefly mentioned this in the conference thread, but it's basically State of Decay rather than The Last Of Us.  It's clearly a lot more polished and story driven, but the setting and concept are very similar.

I think this looks absolutely amazing. I love open world, emergent games and I adore post apocalyptic horror as a genre. The setting is full on Stephen King, and although the game did look a bit clunky in small areas, there's a lot of development time ahead, and Sony clearly see a winner here. That lighting is magnificent.

I just hope it's not too far away.

• Upvote 4

Really like the look of this. Hoping for something akin to rival State of Decay now that I no longer Xbox. 

Like @Gizamaluke find the post-apocalyptic genre really enjoyable, so hopefully this makes good on looking like it can capture the sense of desolation, offsetting that with a beautiful wilderness.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Harsin said:

I'm just so tired of zombie apocalypses at this point.

I was thinking as I was watching it fall into the same old tired tropes, wouldn't it be nice to just have a "straight" post-apocolypse? No nuclear radiation, no weird mutagenic monsters, no bloody zombies (yet again)... maybe start with a survival element, to finding others like yourself, to creating a commune, to creating more communes, to "restart" the world so to speak. Anything that doesn't end in some perverse fantasy about shooting undesirables dead.

• Upvote 3

I'd sooner see a game where it's just humans trying to eat you and fuck you over, just get rid of the pretense of a Z apocalypse.

Set it in Gateshead in about 12 yrs.

• Upvote 2

Wasn't there a game a few years ago that was basically Cormac McCarthy's The Road: Videogame edition? I think it was first person and quite drab looking, as you might expect. I don't think it did very well. Digital release, I believe.

EDIT:

Here we go: I Am Alive.

• Upvote 1

I think like most people I liked the concept, and then tried the trial and found it clunky.  The stuff about other survivors not necessarily being enemies and guns being so scarce that they'd surrender if you had one seemed nice, no idea how it worked in practice.

The protagonist talking to himself throughout the gameplay footage really, really annoys me. You know what's effective in survival-horror games? Silence.

Not 'DAMNIT' after a zombie jumps on you.

• Upvote 1

I played through I am Alive again quite recently (as I said, it's a genre I really like). It has good ideas, but ultimately is a bit dated and clunky now. It's short though, and I got a key for like £3 on nuuvem, so worth a play for genre fans.

I thought I looked pretty shonky once it got into the actual game play, felt is was a weird choice to finish the conference.. 

Flabbergasted people thought it was any way related to Naughty Dog! 

Not really interested, though, like Curtis I wondered why he was wasting ammo!  Surely just escaping is always the best option?  Seemed weird, I'm not sure what's going to be involved other than emotional cutscene, then escape sequence, repeat... 

5 minutes ago, dood said:

I thought I looked pretty shonky once it got into the actual game play, felt is was a weird choice to finish the conference.. 

Flabbergasted people thought it was any way related to Naughty Dog! 

Not really interested, though, like Curtis I wondered why he was wasting ammo!  Surely just escaping is always the best option?  Seemed weird, I'm not sure what's going to be involved other than emotional cutscene, then escape sequence, repeat... 

Re. the wasting ammo, are you talking about how he fires into the crowd of enemies? I think that's done intentionally to slow the horde down by making them trip over or get stuck behind the dead bodies. I got the impression that you can't simply outrun the enemies as they're too fast; you have to find ways to delay their progress.

They're not zombies, they're 'Freakers' :quote:

In seriousness, however, you can sense that one of the blokes in the LiveCast wants to distance the game from just another zombie apocalypse title. I guess even he realises they're a touch overdone now.

2 hours ago, dood said:

Sure, I guess it just felt a bit false to me, I'd have gone straight back for my bike tbh! 

There were quite a few instances of bumping into zombies where the zombies just flail for a second and don't grab him. In other games you're generally a goner that close to the zombies.  I'm still trying to work out if I like that as it makes you shit your pants thinking you're about to get caught and eaten but get away with it or whether it'll be "ah fuck it, these zombies never really grab you unless you stand still for a few seconds next to them"

1 hour ago, rafaqat said:

There were quite a few instances of bumping into zombies where the zombies just flail for a second and don't grab him. In other games you're generally a goner that close to the zombies.  I'm still trying to work out if I like that as it makes you shit your pants thinking you're about to get caught and eaten but get away with it or whether it'll be "ah fuck it, these zombies never really grab you unless you stand still for a few seconds next to them"

I suspect it's more a case of, "We're going to be doing live demos of this, so let's not die on stage." The hordes probably can't attack the player in this build.

The demo didn't do much for me during the conference, but now we know a bit more about it I think it could be interesting. As tired as zombies are the idea of evading agile swarms is different, with the extended gameplay demo placing more emphasis on breaking pursuit using obstacles and the environment. Given it's an open world I could see this working a bit like attacking an outpost in FarCry, with the player choosing where to park their bike and clocking contingencies to get back to it in case things go wrong. Despite all the shooting in the demo, that seemed like a pretty ineffective means of escape which is a bit of a different slant.

I get why it isn't, but I think there'd be more excitement if this was a spin-off called The Last of Us: Days Gone.  It could still be exactly the same other than taking place in the same world as TLOU, but the similarities between the two — whilst perhaps surface level — just make it a bit of an odd proposition.

7 hours ago, Jamie John said:

Yup, found it literally seconds before you posted that :) Did you play it?

It was on PS+ a little while ago

Inevitably I 'own' it but have never actually downloaded it

One day perhaps

11 hours ago, Jamie John said:

DaysGone_Logo_White_1465877632-ds1-670x3

E3 Announce trailer:

Reveal hidden contents

E3 Gameplay demo:

Reveal hidden contents

E3 LiveCast:

Reveal hidden contents

On the downside, the developers are definitely not Naughty Dog, the last thing they made being the Uncharted game for the Vita, which was pretty sub-par from what I can remember,

Tad harsh - Uncharted Vita was pretty amazing given its host hardware and was a lot of fun to boot, albeit closer to the first game than the subsequent big leap with the sequels

As a tech demo it was brill, watching all the zombies fall over each other or tip over the side of the walkway was hilarious. But as a game I would imagine it will get boring fast, all the shooty shooty blow up barrels run away mechanic done to death already.

38 minutes ago, dreamylittledream said:

Tad harsh - Uncharted Vita was pretty amazing given its host hardware and was a lot of fun to boot, albeit closer to the first game than the subsequent big leap with the sequels

It was received well, you're right, but I remember getting really frustrated with the controls and the gimmicky features. I finished it, however, so it can't have been that bad.

12 hours ago, Jamie John said:

What are your thoughts?

My first thought was that your shorthand description of the game makes it sound like one of the most tedious things ever conceived, but the actual footage shows a spark of promise - the environments look big and reactive enough that it might at least make for an enjoyable action game, so long as the game isn't as heavily scripted as the demo sequence, and its sole 'The Last of Us' quality appears to be the fact it has not-zombies in it, which is hardly something that TLOU can claim as its own.

7 hours ago, Wiper said:

My first thought was that your shorthand description of the game makes it sound like one of the most tedious things ever conceived, but the actual footage shows a spark of promise - the environments look big and reactive enough that it might at least make for an enjoyable action game, so long as the game isn't as heavily scripted as the demo sequence, and its sole 'The Last of Us' quality appears to be the fact it has not-zombies in it, which is hardly something that TLOU can claim as its own.

What part of my description makes it seem tedious compared with the footage? I thought it was a pretty accurate description myself, so ner.