RubberJohnny

Prey (2017) - Update and Mooncrash DLC available now!

Any suggestions of an X/Pro patch? Been holding off getting into this properly until its E3 showing. The DLC sounds like my kind of thing.

Playing the DLC now and I'm pretty impressed.

The way its incorporated the roguelike elements is really clever. I actually escaped/completed it on my first attempt but soon realised there was WAY more on offer. Its obviously designed for replayability with the ultimate goal being to escape with all 5 characters (which you unlock as you progress through the DLC) via a number of different escape routes. You also unlock certain story missions by meeting specific criteria along the way.

Only slight downside is there is quite a bit of loading to actually get it going but one you are underway its fine. 

Main thing I'm pleased about is that it still feels very much like Prey.   

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, U-1 said:

Playing the DLC now and I'm pretty impressed.

The way its incorporated the roguelike elements is really clever. I actually escaped/completed it on my first attempt but soon realised there was WAY more on offer. Its obviously designed for replayability with the ultimate goal being to escape with all 5 characters (which you unlock as you progress through the DLC) via a number of different escape routes. You also unlock certain story missions by meeting specific criteria along the way.

Only slight downside is there is quite a bit of loading to actually get it going but one you are underway its fine. 

Main thing I'm pleased about is that it still feels very much like Prey.   

Awesome, that’s what I wanted the Far Cry Vietnam DLC thingy to be!

30 minutes ago, Pob said:

It’s not patched for your Pro is it @U-1?

Thinks it's Pro enhanced but not to the extent it is on the X

Still looks lovely though 

I thought it was free :( - but that's the New Game+ and survival mode, not the Mooncrash.

It's a nice idea and looks pretty, U1 did you see much new stuff like the new enemies in the trailer? As ever the trailer just showed combat which is Prey's weakest element, I'm hoping it's not just a series of combat encounters?

5 minutes ago, VN1X said:

LOL the Mooncrash DLC is €20! 

Uninstalled again.

:)

I did think twice at the price but then remembered I only paid £10 for the main game which was up there as one of my faves from last year.. so figured sod it they deserve my cash. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Alan Stock said:

I thought it was free :( - but that's the New Game+ and survival mode, not the Mooncrash.

It's a nice idea and looks pretty, U1 did you see much new stuff like the new enemies in the trailer? As ever the trailer just showed combat which is Prey's weakest element, I'm hoping it's not just a series of combat encounters?

Two new enemy types so far both of which killed me rather quickly.

It has some real scope for experimentation and I'm still unlocking more options/variables. 

You start with a single character, once that character dies you have to restart and the level randomises in terms of item/enemy placements.

Once you complete it with first character you unlock a second. So next time these acts as "lives".. if your first character died you can attempt to escape the same level, with any progress (enemy kills etc) intact, with the second character before the level "resets" again.

Ultimate objective is to unlock all five characters and complete if witb each without any dying. 

The level doesnt look the biggest, kind of has one Hub area with four different sections branching off it.

I want to to try an experiment later too.. going to get to the escape hatch with first character, then dump all his stuff in a storage box/body.. then get to same point with second character and see if all the stuff is still there.. if so that opens up loads of options.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, U-1 said:

Two new enemy types so far both of which killed me rather quickly.

It has some real scope for experimentation and I'm still unlocking more options/variables. 

You start with a single character, once that character dies you have to restart and the level randomises in terms of item/enemy placements.

Once you complete it with first character you unlock a second. So next time these acts as "lives".. if your first character died you can attempt to escape the same level, with any progress (enemy kills etc) intact, with the second character before the level "resets" again.

Ultimate objective is to unlock all five characters and complete if witb each without any dying. 

The level doesnt look the biggest, kind of has one Hub area with four different sections branching off it.

I want to to try an experiment later too.. going to get to the escape hatch with first character, then dump all his stuff in a storage box/body.. then get to same point with second character and see if all the stuff is still there.. if so that opens up loads of options.

Sounds brilliant! I love this kind of structure, like Dead Rising Case Zero or Zombi U. I wish more games experimented with modes like this.

7 minutes ago, Pob said:

Sounds brilliant! I love this kind of structure, like Dead Rising Case Zero or Zombi U. I wish more games experimented with modes like this.

Case Zero isn't a bad comparison at all in terms of structure and I rinsed that to death on the 360.

Obviously its still a bit early to tell just how indepth this gets or how tricky some of the mission variables are, but Im liking what I've played so far.  

Yeah that does sound pretty cool actually, as soon as I heard "roguelike" I thought of generic rooms full of typhon, but that's a nice structure idea. Won't be forking out a tenner just yet until I know how long it is, but hey.

I don't have the main game any more but if anyone plays again on survival or New Game +, would be interested to hear how it's different and if it's worth playing through again. The main problem I can forsee is you can only really make it harder by making combat more difficult, having less health, more enemies and so on. But I played on Hard which was pretty brutal anyway, and I'd argue it's less fun that way - things kill you so fast and you spend half the time in loading screens. Instead of creatively thinking around combat you just end up going with the easier/OP combat options, or stealthing till you get spotted and then having to reload.

59 minutes ago, U-1 said:

Thinks it's Pro enhanced but not to the extent it is on the X

Still looks lovely though 

Oh, seems like it was already Pro patched last year. According to comments on the Eurogamer article it’s been X-enhanced as well, though not flagged as such in the store. 

1 hour ago, Pob said:

Oh, seems like it was already Pro patched last year. According to comments on the Eurogamer article it’s been X-enhanced as well, though not flagged as such in the store. 

It was - it really needs a resolution bump

If anyone wants a PS4 copy for a fiver delivered, drop me a PM. I’m trading up to the Xbox version. 

• Upvote 1

I’ve just given up on this, having given it another try. For me it’s got no heart or anything that speaks to me, horrible, bland adversaries and a cold, boring environmental aesthetic, combat and mechanics.

i love Arkanes other stuff but this just feels bleh.

• Empathy 1

Yeah yeah that's all well and good but why have they still not updated the angle of the pistol so that it actually points towards the centre of the screen? :angry:

lc5mgP4.jpg

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, VN1X said:

Great vid that explains what Mooncrash is about way better than I ever could. 

It's criminal that such a great expansion is going pretty much unnoticed.

• Upvote 3

6 hours ago, U-1 said:

Great vid that explains what Mooncrash is about way better than I ever could. 

It's criminal that such a great expansion is going pretty much unnoticed.

Yeah it definitely piqued my interest as at first I merely thought it was a procedural generated combat romp and nothing more. SkillUp made it sound much more interesting and involving than the initial reveal video ever did. So despite my earlier reservations it definitely seems to warrant its €20 price tag. 

7 minutes ago, Pob said:

Would playing Mooncrash prior to the main game be silly?

Very.

22 minutes ago, Pob said:

Would playing Mooncrash prior to the main game be silly?

Yep.. it definitely relies on knowledge of certain gameplay mechanics picked up during the main game

On 17/06/2018 at 22:44, macosx said:

I’ve just given up on this, having given it another try. For me it’s got no heart or anything that speaks to me, horrible, bland adversaries and a cold, boring environmental aesthetic, combat and mechanics.

i love Arkanes other stuff but this just feels bleh.

I’ve completed Prey twice, so obviously enjoy it, but you’re not wrong. The basic, spidery mimics who disguise themselves as objects are a fantastic gameplay mechanic, but other enemies are largely homogenous. Contrast your sense of dread when exploring a System Shock 2 level to one of Prey’s and it’s like night and day, largely because SS2’s enemies were so creepy and menacing. 

Similarly, hull breeches aside, a lot of Prey’s environments look like someone’s had a bit of a party but hasn’t cleaned up yet - they still maintain a corporate sterility which, combined with the shadow monster enemy pool, can easily inflict exactly the wrong kind of one-two punch on a player. 

• Upvote 1