IGNORED

No Time To Die: Bond 25 - Out Now

Goose

2 hours ago, MechE said:

Spoilers for License to Kill

Hide contents

I've always felt that Felix being able to walk off being eaten by a shark was a bit of a cop out - they should have committed to him dying.

And Felix calls Sanchez "SANCHES!"

Just saw this, while I love the musical references to On Her Majesty’s Secret Service, including a little bit of the main theme in the film and the paintings of the previous Ms, I’m just glad that Daniel Craig’s tenure as Bond is over. While they’ve desperately tried to establish some sort of character traits, they’ve failed miserably. It felt at times that Craig was ad libbing, especially during the Blofeld and Ramik scenes, but it was like he had zero character to work with, so it just came across as incoherent.

It’s also the film where you can call it “ the one where Bond dresses like a tramp”

I'm seeing paralells between the discourse on social media around The Last Jedi and No Time to Die.  A lot of people upset at the idea of heroes being humanised and mortal, at the films subverting previous 'traditions' of the franchises, and then chucking in a few complaints about it being ruined by 'wokeness'  for good measure.

Just as with TLJ I'm sure NTTD is a film that genuinely didn't work for some people, who have valid and fair criticisms.  People who don't like DC's Bond are not going to get won around by this film, for example.  But I defintiely think this is another case of the 'anti-woke' brigade amplifying the idea of the film being divisive because of their politics, not because they've actually appraised the film in a sensible fashion.

(I'm referring to the discourse 'out there' not 'in here' - i've not read through this thread so have no idea if there's anti-woke stuff contained within...)

On 05/10/2021 at 18:27, Loik V credern said:

the ceiling lights being on in cinemas annoys me more than anything, i don't remember them being on when i went to the cinema in the 90s and 00s. Any light distracts me from the screen, it probably sounds irrational but i like my screens to be hanging in black voids. I don't like big green fire exit signs either. just make a sign not visible from where you're sat. also i like lieing down when i watch films so the cinema is lacking in most ways to me.

For one of the worst performances of all time, one in which if you were to show anyone who didn't know Rami Malek was a quite highly regarded oscar winning actor they would not believe it, i recommend The Little Things. Also has Denzel Washington in it and is about a murder. Malek just appears as a detective who is supposed to be mysterious and fascinating ...i think but couldn't appear more unnatural.

i don't think this trailer quite covers how bad he is in it but it gives an impression 

i basically just carried on watching the film to see how he'd deliver lines, i couldn't be less immersed in the story or his character.

Another really bad performance i'll always remember is Emile Hirsch in Killer Joe. I know people will swear by Malek from Mr Robot but i think neither have range and it shows sometimes when they're miscast.

You're telling me that they had Rami Malek and Jared Leto in the same room and the Universe didn't turn in on itself due to the sheer staring into the middle distance punchable shitness?

Naw man, naw man. The world ain't fair man.

1 hour ago, Hanzo the Razor said:

Also, Malek was Dr No. It was obvious from the trailers. The Oriental mask, the island, the chemical plant, the people in the mad suits swanning about in the chemical lakes. He was Dr No.

That is all.

MY NAME....IS>>>>>KHANNNN

2 hours ago, Hanzo the Razor said:

You're telling me that they had Rami Malek and Jared Leto in the same room and the Universe didn't turn in on itself due to the sheer staring into the middle distance punchable shitness?

Naw man, naw man. The world ain't fair man.

Man, Malek can be annoying (mainly because he tries to talk without moving his jaw) but Leto is trying to upstage him here in spectacular style.

The line reading on "how's the trunk space?" actually whiffs. I can actually smell it it's so bad.

5 hours ago, Floshenbarnical said:

I skipped 8 pages to say that you’re all wrong and Thunderball is indisputably the best Bond film and has the best soundtrack

Sure, it's the best if you like watching lots and lots of scenes of people swimming veeeeerrrrryy slllllooooowwlllyyy underwater, plus one scene of speeded-up footage of Bond on an exercise rack, and another scene of speeded-up rear projection footage during the final fight.

(The music is very good though. And it has one of the series' best SPECTRE meetings.)

Just back from seeing this.  Thought it was very good, if slightly too long, better than Spectre, as good as CR.  Liked the callbacks to previous films as well

Spoiler

The portraits of previous M’s when current M is having a think, the Aston’s, and the island idea is from the original books, You Only Live Twice I think 🤔 

Looking forward to watching it again, but at home and without having to worry about when to take a toilet break!

So I was tickled that the main maguffin of the movie is a mashup of two Metal Gear Solid classics:

Spoiler

Fox Die and nanobots, son

And then I read a Reddit post that pointed out there’s even more Metal Gear in there:

Spoiler

The submarine thing docking at a deserted area like at the start of MGS1

’Smart blood’ injections to track you and a kind of soliton radar

A climactic missile strike to destroy the base

and best of all

At the very end James Bond climbs up a MASSIVE ladder

4 minutes ago, Flanders said:

So I was tickled that the main maguffin of the movie is a mashup of two Metal Gear Solid classics:

Hide contents

And then I read a Reddit post that pointed out there’s even more Metal Gear in there:

Hide contents

and best of all

And another similarity that I saw pointed out on Reddit:

Spoiler

0gwYNYw.jpg

• Goose changed the title to No Time To Die: Bond 25 - Out Now

I watched this last Friday and thought it was okay. I couldn't get past the age of Vespa at her grave, which then led me to the huge age difference between Craig and his current co-star. I know James Bond is a womaniser but I was just constantly watching the film thinking, 'She's old enough to be your daughter, mate'. James Bond: Licence To Grub.

15 hours ago, Flanders said:

Hide contents

Hide contents

and best of all

15 hours ago, Nick R said:

And another similarity that I saw pointed out on Reddit:

Hide contents

0gwYNYw.jpg

And, towards the end the...

Spoiler

One shot staircase fight, is pretty much lifted straight from MGS1.

On 19/10/2021 at 11:51, strider said:

I watched this last Friday and thought it was okay. I couldn't get past the age of Vespa at her grave, which then led me to the huge age difference between Craig and his current co-star. I know James Bond is a womaniser but I was just constantly watching the film thinking, 'She's old enough to be your daughter, mate'. James Bond: Licence To Grub.

Yeah, this. And she's supposed to have had a child 5 years ago you say... Hmm. 

Lea Seydoux is 36 - there's a big age gap between her and Daniel Craig, but her having had a child five years ago isn't that weird is it? 31 is neither particularly old nor young to have a baby.

On 17/10/2021 at 05:24, Floshenbarnical said:

I skipped 8 pages to say that you’re all wrong and Thunderball is indisputably the best Bond film and has the best soundtrack

You spelled On Her Majesty’s Secret Service wrong.