Xbox One X

Bojangle

1 hour ago, petrolgirls said:

@amc These mid-gen machines are only going to offer up better visuals. There's a good reason for this, crudely put video games have two main components - a graphics engine and game logic - broadly speaking graphics run on the GPU and game logic runs on the CPU. Graphics engines scale easily, higher resolution, better antialiasing and so forth. Game logic, however, doesn't scale easily at all. Let's imagine these new machines had much more powerful CPUs so instead of being able to handle 30 enemies at any time they could now handle 60 enemies with improved A.I. Problem there is you'd need to rebalance the entire game, then retest it all too - a monumental undertaking which would result in two entirely different games.

This is why both Sony and MS's new machines have massively more powerful GPU's than their predecessors but only marginally faster CPU's. You'll need to wait till the next full generation before you see a big leap in game logic. 

I'm still waiting for game logic to be hosted in Teh Cloud. Weren't we promised that at the original xbone reveal?

Very early look by Digital Foundry.

They think it was actually running on a One X which is nice, mostly due to the checkerboard rendering (I don't think any PC GPUs have hardware support for checkerboarding). They can't be sure of the framerate but it seems to run at 30fps.

Game looks superb. Hope it ends up as good as it looks.

2 hours ago, petrolgirls said:

@amc These mid-gen machines are only going to offer up better visuals. There's a good reason for this, crudely put video games have two main components - a graphics engine and game logic - broadly speaking graphics run on the GPU and game logic runs on the CPU. Graphics engines scale easily, higher resolution, better antialiasing and so forth. Game logic, however, doesn't scale easily at all. Let's imagine these new machines had much more powerful CPUs so instead of being able to handle 30 enemies at any time they could now handle 60 enemies with improved A.I. Problem there is you'd need to rebalance the entire game, then retest it all too - a monumental undertaking which would result in two entirely different games.

This is why both Sony and MS's new machines have massively more powerful GPU's than their predecessors but only marginally faster CPU's. You'll need to wait till the next full generation before you see a big leap in game logic. 

And that pretty much sums up why I think these mid-gen machines are a total bag of bollocks. It's just companies creating a product that's not needed, in a desperate attempt to milk even more cash out of consumers. Couldn't help but laugh when the One X was revealed and they started talking about "you asked for us to make this machine......so we made it". Really? More like "we saw all the stupid people with more money than sense coming, so we made this machine for them. Kerching"! Hahaha. 

Seriously, £450! Hahaha. Wtf!?!? Are they on a different planet? This thing is going to bomb like fuck. Surely people aren't that stupid these days??? I mean, £450 would usually buy you a true next gen machine, that plays true next gen games, that provide you with true next gen experiences, that you can't get anywhere else. Fuck that though when you can drop a ton of cash on a marginal upgrade instead. 

Now for just £450, you can own a machine that allows you to play all the games you can already play, on the console that you more than likely already own (and might have already upgraded in the past). There are no exclusives games!!! AWESOME! And here's one of the big selling points - you're going to be in the minority owning one of these things......so even though it can do 5 gazillion ultra flops, it will always be hamstrung by the base unit that you more than likely already own (and again, might have already upgraded in the past. But forget you've now spent over a grand on owning just the console itself. Upgrading shit is cool! It's a feature! Plus, you get to upgrade again in a couple of years when we go 8k and next gen!!! Man we spoil you)! But hey, don't worry about that at the moment and definitely don't focus on being in a minority by owning one of these things, and that you'll be in a fraction of our user base and so we really won't be giving much of a shit about you guys because of that.....just think of it more like you're the Elite of the Elite (and by Elite we mean - you've got more money than common sense). We love you!  You're gullible as all fuck! :)

So, yeah, there's very little reason to own one of these things at all really but we could probably just shit in a box and some people would buy it these days! How cool is that?!?!? But oh yeah, almost forgot, the OneX can do 4K Ultra HD! So, all those games you can already play, on the console you already own? Well, now you can play them in a slightly higher resolution.......for just £450. AMAAAAZING!!! Oh, and the price of a 4K TV, obviously. So, er, yeah, er, for just a mere eeeeerrrrrrr........£1300, you can play all the same stuff you can already play but in a higher resolution.......and some shadows might look a bit better and shit. Welcome to the future of gaming!!! 

6 minutes ago, Fully Aspel said:

And that pretty much sums up why I think these mid-gen machines are a total bag of bollocks. It's just companies creating a product that's not needed, in a desperate attempt to milk even more cash out of consumers. Couldn't help but laugh when the One X was revealed and they started talking about "you asked for us to make this machine......so we made it". Really? More like "we saw all the stupid people with more money than sense coming, so we made this machine for them. Kerching"! Hahaha. 

Seriously, £450! Hahaha. Wtf!?!? Are they on a different planet? This thing is going to bomb like fuck. Surely people aren't that stupid these days??? I mean, £450 would usually buy you a true next gen machine, that plays true next gen games, that provide you with true next gen experiences, that you can't get anywhere else. Fuck that though when you can drop a ton of cash on a marginal upgrade instead. 

Now for just £450, you can own a machine that allows you to play all the games you can already play, on the console that you more than likely already own (and might have already upgraded in the past). There are no exclusives games!!! AWESOME! And here's one of the big selling points - you're going to be in the minority owning one of these things......so even though it can do 5 gazillion ultra flops, it will always be hamstrung by the base unit that you more than likely already own (and again, might have already upgraded in the past. But forget you've now spent over a grand on owning just the console itself. Upgrading shit is cool! It's a feature! Plus, you get to upgrade again in a couple of years when we go 8k and next gen!!! Man we spoil you)! But hey, don't worry about that at the moment and definitely don't focus on being in a minority by owning one of these things, and that you'll be in a fraction of our user base and so we really won't be giving much of a shit about you guys because of that.....just think of it more like you're the Elite of the Elite (and by Elite we mean - you've got more money than common sense). We love you!  You're gullible as all fuck! :)

So, yeah, there's very little reason to own one of these things at all really but we could probably just shit in a box and some people would buy it these days! How cool is that?!?!? But oh yeah, almost forgot, the OneX can do 4K Ultra HD! So, all those games you can already play, on the console you already own? Well, now you can play them in a slightly higher resolution.......for just £450. AMAAAAZING!!! Oh, and the price of a 4K TV, obviously. So, er, yeah, er, for just a mere eeeeerrrrrrr........£1300, you can play all the same stuff you can already play but in a higher resolution.......and some shadows might look a bit better and shit. Welcome to the future of gaming!!! 

I think I've got a Game Gear somewhere if you want to borrow it?

1 hour ago, Fully Aspel said:

Are you drunk?

Also it's not going to bomb in the slightest. Someone in a different thread asked me what my definition of success for this would be, personally I think it's going to take up a far larger slice of Xbox One sales going forward than the Pro currently does for overall PS4 sales. I don't think the price will be an issue for the people who are interested.

3 hours ago, Revival said:

I think I've got a Game Gear somewhere if you want to borrow it?

Nah, it's ok man, I've already got one. Cheers for the offer though! ;) Prefer the Switch at the moment to be fair. :)

2 hours ago, CarloOos said:

Are you drunk?

Also it's not going to bomb in the slightest. Someone in a different thread asked me what my definition of success for this would be, personally I think it's going to take up a far larger slice of Xbox One sales going forward than the Pro currently does for overall PS4 sales. I don't think the price will be an issue for the people who are interested.

No I'm not. Pretty sure you'd have to be mashed off your tits to actually want to buy one of these things though! £450 for the Emperor's New Clothes. Fuck that, riiiiiiiiiiiiight off! 

As far as I'm aware Microsoft are going to be selling these at a loss. Hahaha. It makes no real sense why this thing even exists, outside of a company trying pretty much anything to maximise it's cash flow. Thing is, this is even more of a balls up than the base Xbox One, which really is quite something!  It's pretty clear now, Microsoft just haven't got a fucking clue what they're doing. It's hardly ever the case that it's the most powerful console that shifts the most units, yet they keep banging on about how powerful the One X is, even though all it can really do with that power is essentially run games in a higher res. Wow, simply........incredible!

I mean I'm playing the Switch a lot at the moment which is hardly advanced tech in terms of its power. Yet even in handheld mode, playing on a tiny screen,  BOTW totally shits all over the stuff on PS4 and Xbox One in every single way possible. All these Terraflops and what not and for the most part you just end up with another dull 1st person shooter, where you're siphoned down slightly shinier corridors than you were in the previous version you played. Wahooooo! 

Think someone mentioned on here that for every 5 base PS4s out there, there's 1 Pro. That's proper shit! It'll be exactly the same with the One X. At least I hope so, as I have faith in the common sense of the majority of people! When you factor in there's only 1 in 5 of these newer machines out there, it's pretty clear devs aren't going to be fannying around making vast improvements to games on them, as it'd essentially be just pissing money up the wall for no good reason. 

All of this "console upgrade" nonsense is just a blatant attempt to try out and install a new model of selling consoles, that will make these companies even more money in the long run and lead to a total shitshow in the end if it goes well for them. Nothing more than a cash grab. If I wanted to upgrade shit I'd play on PC, and to be honest I'd sooner punch myself in the nuts than ever resort to that, it'd probably be more fun! There's nothing wrong with the existing setup from the consumers point of view. Buy 1 console, that lasts a gen. Buy games to play on it. Job done. Let developers focus on maxing those consoles out with some fully awesome games, not pissing around with different versions of essentially the same thing. Everyone's a winner! 

Good luck to anyone picking one of these up. Didn't even know they let you order shit online from the secure ward though. Hahaha. Mark my words, couple of years and they'll be wanting another 500 notes for another machine! Slippery slope and all that. 

BOTW shows that it's perfectly possible to create a great gaming experience with a shit CPU, so it's a strange example to bring up immediately following a post bemoaning games being hamstrung by needing to run on a console with a much better CPU than the Switch.

Then again the graphics card I bought last year is still more expensive new than an Xbox One X, so...

12 minutes ago, Napole0n said:

I don't have an Xbone (base PS4 and Switch only), but this might tempt me into buying one actually. More interested in this due to the extra oomph than buying the original Xbone with its subpar hardware at any rate.

and at £450 you'd expect extra oomph.

this time around, anyway...

Why get so upset over something that won't affect you? @Fully Aspel 

All the games will continue to run as normal on a base Xbox One or an S. 

And that 1/5 ratio is only likely to grow as more people buy 4K TV's, which is sat at around 20% right now and expected to grow to 40% this year, 60% next year. 

By the time the next gen consoles launch it'll be 4K across the board.

so if the next gen launches 2020 (around the same time 4k tv sales reach 100%, extrapolationg your own figures) the xbox one x will have had two years, and Sony will have the PS5 out.

or something.

I understand aspels concerns re: timing and pricing, but yeah, if you're not buying into it it doesnt exist as a problem.

for everyone else they'll write it off using amortisation...

As an upgrade it's quite expensive, on the other hand with consoles the outlay on the hardware is quickly forgotten when the costs for the actual games and online subscriptions start piling up. I don't think €500 is excessive if it's indeed very powerful, and in my case there's years of Xbox One exclusives to cherry pick from, some of them ridiculously cheap by now.

Has there anything be said about performance of 'non optimized' games? Will the problems like crushed blacks and worse resolution/framerates persist on older titles?

12 hours ago, amc said:

Err so it adds extra assets, polygons, physics rendering techniques blah blah that take advantage of the Xbox's extra grunt. I'm not talking about up-scales and higher rez textures I was asking about basically two versions of a game on one disc, coded differently, one for standard hardware and one that could only be done on the new hardware using all of its power. I suppose what I was really wondering and thought up a ham-fisted way of asking is if the Xbox wasn't held back by the bone could it do some proper next gen shit.

It was just a curious tech question, totally not something a dev will do with the machine but I just wondered if it was possible. Doesn't matter.

Whilst someone has already pointed out that the CPU isn't that much better so there'd be little real difference in this example, the only theoretical problem with a game that basically came with two different games packaged in would be disc space/download size. They don't do things like this because it benefits them more to have us think if them as separate products so a few people buy 360 FIFA instead of just using the version included on their mate's Bobe disc.

5 hours ago, Fully Aspel said:

Nah, it's ok man, I've already got one. Cheers for the offer though! ;) Prefer the Switch at the moment to be fair. :)

No I'm not. Pretty sure you'd have to be mashed off your tits to actually want to buy one of these things though! £450 for the Emperor's New Clothes. Fuck that, riiiiiiiiiiiiight off! 

As far as I'm aware Microsoft are going to be selling these at a loss. Hahaha. It makes no real sense why this thing even exists, outside of a company trying pretty much anything to maximise it's cash flow. Thing is, this is even more of a balls up than the base Xbox One, which really is quite something!  It's pretty clear now, Microsoft just haven't got a fucking clue what they're doing. It's hardly ever the case that it's the most powerful console that shifts the most units, yet they keep banging on about how powerful the One X is, even though all it can really do with that power is essentially run games in a higher res. Wow, simply........incredible!

I mean I'm playing the Switch a lot at the moment which is hardly advanced tech in terms of its power. Yet even in handheld mode, playing on a tiny screen,  BOTW totally shits all over the stuff on PS4 and Xbox One in every single way possible. All these Terraflops and what not and for the most part you just end up with another dull 1st person shooter, where you're siphoned down slightly shinier corridors than you were in the previous version you played. Wahooooo! 

Think someone mentioned on here that for every 5 base PS4s out there, there's 1 Pro. That's proper shit! It'll be exactly the same with the One X. At least I hope so, as I have faith in the common sense of the majority of people! When you factor in there's only 1 in 5 of these newer machines out there, it's pretty clear devs aren't going to be fannying around making vast improvements to games on them, as it'd essentially be just pissing money up the wall for no good reason. 

All of this "console upgrade" nonsense is just a blatant attempt to try out and install a new model of selling consoles, that will make these companies even more money in the long run and lead to a total shitshow in the end if it goes well for them. Nothing more than a cash grab. If I wanted to upgrade shit I'd play on PC, and to be honest I'd sooner punch myself in the nuts than ever resort to that, it'd probably be more fun! There's nothing wrong with the existing setup from the consumers point of view. Buy 1 console, that lasts a gen. Buy games to play on it. Job done. Let developers focus on maxing those consoles out with some fully awesome games, not pissing around with different versions of essentially the same thing. Everyone's a winner! 

Good luck to anyone picking one of these up. Didn't even know they let you order shit online from the secure ward though. Hahaha. Mark my words, couple of years and they'll be wanting another 500 notes for another machine! Slippery slope and all that. 

Agree with much here. What is happening is Sony and MS are kind of breaking the traditional console generational cycle. However options are good I guess for people with 4K TV's that want a shinier experience without buying a PC. What is going to be interesting is how both Sony and MS manage the upgrade path going forward. Will they announce that things going forward will only work on newer versions of the hardware at some point? (similar to the way Apple have just killed off 32bit apps and so effectively the iPhone 5) Or will the games scale with just differing experiences? How do you manage online gaming experiences going forward with different hardware out there? Its all going to be interesting as to where console gaming goes from here.... Although really looking at things now arguably Nintendo are the only ones doing "traditional" console gaming....

3 hours ago, SeanR said:

so if the next gen launches 2020 (around the same time 4k tv sales reach 100%, extrapolationg your own figures) the xbox one x will have had two years, and Sony will have the PS5 out.

or something.

I understand aspels concerns re: timing and pricing, but yeah, if you're not buying into it it doesnt exist as a problem.

for everyone else they'll write it off using amortisation...

I don't think there will be a 'next-gen', for Microsoft at least. Sony might well launch a console called the Playstation 5 at some point, but I think Microsoft will just keep iterating and eventually drop universal support for the base consoles when the next model launches in four or so years. It's what all their platform integration over the last two years has been pointing towards, and why I think buying digitally off Live feels future-proof in a way PSN does not.