Cool, thanks for the replies. I'll be buying an X within the next month or so along with a new telly. Really looking forward to it.

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, Gizamaluke said:

This and ARK. Probably more to do with the devs than the consoles though.

nah, PUBG needs a beefy CPU, much beefier than the laptop spec ones the current consoles have...

15 hours ago, petrolgirls said:

I'll try address your other issue one last time. Firstly your initial assumption is wrong. Most modern PC games don't run acceptably on 2GHz dual cores - look at Far Cry 5 for instance. Its minimum spec CPU is an i5 2400, a 3.1GHz four core CPU released in 2011 - only a couple of years before the PS4/One. Secondly, essentially no developers are making big budget games for the PC only - all those games are released on console too - so underpowered console cores dictate the complexity of a games logic. Given PC's have a massive compute advantage relative to consoles it's not difficult to understand why developers have a relatively easy time getting their game logic to run on older PC's.

Doff's cap.  Thanks for giving me the time of day petrolgirls.  

Ok, so we're STILL talking about PC games capable of running on a range of CPU's with 7 years of advances behind them.  What I'm saying is that the next generation of consoles should still have games released on them that should work on this gen consoles if the Devs code their engines to be able to scale. they already do on PC so stuff runs on a 2011 CPU and it runs on a 2018 CPU. 

You can go on all you like about game logic timing but it's entirely possible to write a game that can handle different speeds of CPU and cores.  It's already done by PC devs.  I don't think Console game devs will struggle to accommodate this too especially if the platform holders make it easier for them. 

16 hours ago, Revival said:

Ahh sorry I was looking on Amazon.

@TehStu

Yeah it's Panos Panay and his team creating all of the X hardware now. I hope they take their time and launch after the PS5 with something really special.

I'm not sure MS are going to want to allow Sony to get a lead again (well further extend it now)

They really need to sort out fullfilling all the different coutnries they didn't launch at while Sony was happily selling consoles everywhere.

7 minutes ago, rafaqat said:

Ok, so we're STILL talking about PC games capable of running on a range of CPU's with 7 years of advances behind them.  What I'm saying is that the next generation of consoles should still have games released on them that should work on this gen consoles if the Devs code their engines to be able to scale. they already do on PC so stuff runs on a 2011 CPU and it runs on a 2018 CPU. 

You can go on all you like about game logic timing but it's entirely possible to write a game that can handle different speeds of CPU and cores.  It's already done by PC devs.  I don't think Console game devs will struggle to accommodate this too especially if the platform holders make it easier for them. 

By forcing the game to run on the PS4/XB1, you're restricting what it can do to what's enabled by those consoles.

Sony could release a PS5 that has the exact same hardware as an X and it'll be better purely because it's a clean break.

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, rafaqat said:

Game logic doesn't scale well at all and there's no scaling of game logic on PC, just one lowest common denominator set by the console baseline.

It's hard to understand what your point is, there will be a bunch of cross gen games for the first year or so where game logic will be simple enough for this current gen to run, maybe with a few concessions like Shadow of Mordor - beyond that no dev is going to hold back their game to accommodate a dead console generation. I can't see why they would or who would benefit from this. 

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, rafaqat said:

Game logic does not generally scale. AI doesn’t get better or more complex because you have a more powerful CPU. Buildings and terrain don’t deform more. 

The lowest common denominator is key. 

I don’t know why you keep veering off into CPU cycles. That’s a separate issue. 

• Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, rafaqat said:

That 2011 CPU in the PC is more powerful than the toaster-class Jaguar CPU in even the One X and PS4 Pro. It's not scaling on PC - even the minimum spec CPU is eating the console baseline for breakfast. If you want big leaps in game logic on new machines there will have to be a cut-off and that will have to come much sooner for consoles than PC because the CPU's in the current consoles are shite.

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, petrolgirls said:

It's hard to understand what your point is, there will be a bunch of cross gen games for the first year or so 

Right.  Basically we agree then. I took your initial comment to be that it's just not possible. If you're saying that actually it IS possible but that eventually the lowest baseline has to be moved (becuase devs CHOOOSE to) then yeah I agree.  I just point it out in various threads because every time,  when people post about it they talk like games from the get go on a new console won't work on an old one because "different CPU"   See the Ps4Pro and Xbox One X threads for when these things were rumoured for evidence of this. 

15 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

Game logic does not generally scale. AI doesn’t get better or more complex because you have a more powerful CPU. Buildings and terrain don’t deform more. 

The lowest common denominator is key. 

I don’t know why you keep veering off into CPU cycles. That’s a separate issue. 

I'm not talking about JUST CPU cycles.  Number of cores, slightly different approaches to internal cpu design between Intel and AMD don't affect game logic.  On chips that span 7 years. I'd say we''ve had some interesting jumps forward in  game design and scope in the last 7 years no?

anyway, sounds like we're actually agreeing.  The barrier is not a line in the sand when a new console is released with a better CPU.   It's purely a game dev decision that they can't/won't support a certain spec at some point (a point that doesn't have to be console launch)

Anyhow, Last I'll say on the subject in this thread since people want to talk about other stuff.  Sorry all!

Not sure if this is the best thread to post it but if you can catch the Giant Bomb interview with Phil on Twitch it's worth a listen - fairly lengthy at maybe 70 minutes or so.  He covers a lot of ground but I like the way he speaks - OK, before the cynics wade in he's never going to talk any of his ops down, and he has the benefit of the person trying to clean the stables of shit, but I thought he made some interesting points:

1. The two big games released directly to Gamepass (SoT and SoD2) have both exceeded sales projections at retail.  There is a sort of seed or catalyst effect at work here I imagine - one person in a group of friends picks in up in GP, shares a few clips or whatever,  and convinces others to buy it (or vice versa).  He made it clear they are still very much in the business of selling software, and not solely streaming.

2. Approach to Japan.  He knows he isn't going to convince the Japanese to buy more boxes, but he can see potential in helping receptive Japanese developers to fulfil the global potential in their games - a a different take on the issue.  On the issue of the more Japanese-centric / niche games he was suggesting the possibility of a future Gamepass type arrangement - either a section of the main library or maybe a different subscription, as the sort of deal which could be done there.  Is going to keep plugging away there and seemed to be much happier with the position than 12 months ago.

3.  Past mistakes and delays.  It seemed to be the case that Scalebound was a game which simply and regretfully could not be pulled into shape.  Crackdown 3 on the other hand seems to need the time to improve some basic gameplay elements, but the goal is clear.

4. More 1st party acquisitions - not ruled out.  The obvious point is made that the more you have of them, the easier it is to cycle round and throw the spotlight on projects at an appropriate stage of development rather than burden the usual suspects every year.

• Upvote 2

My Amazon bought Scorpio had a wee flakey a couple of weeks back, much the same as Squirtle’s had on launch week.

It hadn’t skipped a beat until I tried to update during that hot spell where it stopped at the writing stage of the update and fell into a E102 error loop, nothing would reset it. Dodgy Seagate internal drive methinks.

Anyhoo, Xbox support assured me they would return/replace Scorpio for Scorpio so I went that route rather than with Amazon where I would probably have ended up with a scabby, standard black X, fuck that shit /spit. 2 weeks later I have my beautiful, beautiful dotted gradient box back, same serial number and looks still to be untouched by human hands. Not a scuff, not a fingerprint... Nice! Kinda blessed it failed within warranty. 

Ive changed my mind about the Scorpio edition after seeing it for real; press photos really didnt do it any justice

Kinda wish I got one instead of the OG X now

2 hours ago, shirubagan said:

I done got me an X. 

Do all the 4K texture packs and stuff download automatically?

Yeah they will.

If you've moved your games from another machine, you will need to boot each one to trigger the automatic downloads both now and in future.

• Upvote 1

On 14/06/2018 at 13:35, Cosmic_Guru said:

Not sure if this is the best thread to post it but if you can catch the Giant Bomb interview with Phil on Twitch it's worth a listen - fairly lengthy at maybe 70 minutes or so.  He covers a lot of ground but I like the way he speaks - OK, before the cynics wade in he's never going to talk any of his ops down, and he has the benefit of the person trying to clean the stables of shit, but I thought he made some interesting points:

4. More 1st party acquisitions - not ruled out.  The obvious point is made that the more you have of them, the easier it is to cycle round and throw the spotlight on projects at an appropriate stage of development rather than burden the usual suspects every year.

I found this encouraging.  Gives the likes of Halo/GOW/Forza etc more time to do their thing and not bear the burden on their own. 

Really liked the interview.