rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Glasgowchivas

Star Wars: Rogue One

1 hour ago, Hean Dog said:

I'm not saying don't dislike a film, i just don't like when people sat in their pyjamas eating pot noodle starting questioning film makers decisions on technical aspects of films. 

So what aspects of the film can you question?

I always wonder in cases like this where not one other person agrees with a poster do they ever have the tiniest moment of reflection and wonder if maybe there's a reason everyone thinks they're being silly or do they just cling to a Seymour Skinner style 'No, it's the children who are wrong'.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

1 minute ago, Harsin said:

I always wonder in cases like this where not one other person agrees with a poster do they ever have the tiniest moment of reflection and wonder if maybe there's a reason everyone thinks they're being silly or do they just cling to a Seymour Skinner style 'No, it's the children who are wrong'.

They probably blame the Rllmuk "Hivemind", which is presumably made up of the best minds on the forum as it's allowed to comment.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Delargey said:

So what aspects of the film can you question?

It's like you get a renowned artist commissioned to paint a picture. You don't like it, that's fine, I just don't think someone that has never painted a picture in his life should be able to start slagging off picture composition and brush strokes etc. 

It's fine to not like it, but leave it down to taste, you are not qualified to break it down further than that. 

• Downvote 7

Just now, Hean Dog said:

It's like you get a renowned artist commissioned to paint a picture. You don't like it, that's fine, I just don't think someone that has never painted a picture in his life should be able to start slagging off picture composition and brush strokes etc. 

It's fine to not like it, but leave it down to taste, you are not qualified to break it down further than that. 

So even if the reason I don't like the painting is the composition and the brush strokes I'm not allowed to mention them? I just have to say  "don't like it" and just sit mutely if anyone asks why?

• Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, Hean Dog said:

But... films are the products of thousands of people. Every single step of blockbuster filmmaking has to go through many, many steps of micro-management before reaching the top, and when it finally reaches the top it can (and often is) all changed again on the whim of a department head, the director, a producer, an executive, a financer, a test audience. Usually the director is the singular point of reference between those two ends of the production, but in this particular instance we're talking about a film that also had two directors. 

There are at least two people in this thread who actually did work on Rogue One in some capacity, are they allowed to criticise the characterisation? Or is that honour exclusive to Kathleen Kennedy, after all she's the one who's really calling the shots, despite the fact she didn't actually direct it and has never directed a film in her life. Your stance on this just doesn't work on any level.

• Upvote 2

The funny thing is, it is exactly the kind of attitude of Hean Dog that ends up destroying films. George Lucas was increasingly surrounded by people who felt they weren't qualified to question him or voice their opinions and he ended up producing garbage of such magnitude that he basically sold up and retired. Absolutely no one wins.

• Upvote 9

The beauty of A New Hope was that it had many of the best filmmakers of the 70s contributing to it behind the scenes, it wasn't immaculately conceived by any one person. Nothing ever is.

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, barkbat said:

The funny thing is, it is exactly the kind of attitude of Hean Dog that ends up destroying films. George Lucas was increasingly surrounded by people who felt they weren't qualified to question him or voice their opinions and he ended up producing garbage of such magnitude that he basically sold up and retired. Absolutely no one wins.

Watching the making of Phantom Menace right now. A portrait of a madman.

• Upvote 4

He's right in a way, the amount of shit talked by about by people on Internet forums is ridiculous.

Look at the Vader's 'fat neck' comments for instance...does anyone really think that after all the time, love, money and energy that's been spent making Rogue One that's they didn't get Vader's costume exactly as they wanted it? And yet all over the internet there are cries of "Lol! Look at Vader's fat neck They fucked it up!". I'm willing to bet everything I own that Vader's costume is 100% correct as decided by Lucasfilm though. 

Likewise with the script, pacing, CGI characters or whatever. Lucasfilm / Disney decided to release what they released despite having the funds and ability to change whatever they thought needed changing. What they released is what they decided was good enough or better. You might not like it and you might have done something different, as might I. But our opinions are nothing more than that. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

Hold on, I thought the ban was just on using technical terms if you haven't directed multiple blockbuster films of your own? Fat neck isn't a technical description, it's a layman's one so it shout be fine.

Is that how you spell layman's?

Thinking a little bit more about using CGI to bring dead performers back to life.....

test spoiler from choddo

(edit fuck that....spoiler tags didn't work....deleted as quickly as possible,,,I think I'll keep my thoughts to myself for a couple of months until everyone's seen it.)

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, choddo said:

Just edited your post, used spoiler tags, and it worked ok for me?

Yeah, no idea what went wrong. I was sure I used spoiler /spoiler in square brackets. Not going to risk it for now.

Instead I'll link to this great discussion about data formats in the Star Wars universe here http://www.metafilter.com/164275/Hey-Willrow-Where-you-goin-with-that-ice-cream-machine-in-your-hand

The bewildering array of disk formats clearly confuses consumers in the Star Wars universe. In A New Hope, Luke Skywalker, who is tech-savvy enough to be trusted to help purchase a droid and then clean it up, seems to be stumped by the disk drive on R2-D2. “You’ve got something jammed in here real good,” he says to R2-D2, as though he doesn’t know it’s a disk. If it’s a disk drive, wouldn’t it obviously be a disk, and wouldn’t he know to push a button to eject it?

There's some really good arguements/counter arguements in there about secure storage vs practicality.

The original article http://motherboard.vice.com/read/the-disk-formats-of-star-wars-rogue-one-spoilers

is also pretty good.

The Star Wars universe clearly struggles with a multitude of data storage formats, and likely with the accompanying interoperability issues as well. But weirdly enough, data access ports remain standardized through three generations. R2-D2, a droid first found on a Naboo cruiser in Episode I, manages to use the same kind of port to infiltrate systems on a backwater Separatist base in Episode II, a Separatist flagship in Episode III, a state-of-the-art Imperial battle station in Episode IV, and a civilian mining facility in Episode V.

Both links contain spoilers but it's a fun aside to the main story.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, mdn2 said:

Anyway...

Apparently (obviously), there was bigger plans for Saw Guerra and we may see this role expanded on in the future. 

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/star-wars-rogue-one-originally-had-bigger-plans-fo/1100-6446549/

Am I the only one who thought Saw was by far the worst thing in the film? wouldn't want to see any more of him at all I'm afraid.

• Upvote 6