Super Nintendo Appreciation Thread

6 minutes ago, Colonel Panic said:

It’s supposed to be the best DK game, right? I’ve only played the first one and it’s super fucking annoying. 

The first one is great but pretty easy. The second one introduces a lot of collectibles but probably is the best all round game (the music too is great). The third game is really enjoyable, not sure if it has more collectibles but you can cheat to open up the final world if need be. 

I personally think the DKC games are pretty mediocre europlatformers and would barely be remembered if not for the shiny graphics. The problem is those once shiny graphics now look pretty bad on anything other than a CRT, which makes the emperor's comparative lack of clothes all the more apparent when playing via emulator, FPGA or upscaler.

Starfox, on the other hand, is still really playable despite looking really primitive and running at ~15fps. Peel back the once-cutting-edge technology, and there's still a good game there.

So much wrong injected into this thread in such a short space of time.

3 hours ago, Darhkwing said:

The first one is great but pretty easy. 

I found it pretty difficult :(

There does seem to be a passionate fandom for DKC that never subsided though. I think of one of the My Life In Gaming dudes who spoke about the unique rhythmic nature of its platforming, how it'll always be one of his favourite video games, one that he never stopped replaying.

Not to put words in Camel's mouth but I can see how witnessing open derision of the game / series these days can be interpreted as a fashionable revisionism, as the consensus back in the day was that it was a stone cold classic. 

Yeah I've mentioned that before - it feels like it's often derided these days because it's not from a cool Japanese company and there's this idea that it was only ever popular because of its presentation. Nonsense, it's a great game full of excellent ideas and varied gameplay, superb controls and well designed levels. 

What on earth is a euro platformer!? :)I bought dkc back in the day. I loved it. Played it recently. Ok it's no Mario world but I thought it played really well. Very smooth.

Tried to play dkc 2 recently and gave up. Never owned it back when it came out.

Europlatformer doesn't necessarily equal bad gameplay. 

As I said on the MD thread, I recently played through Robocod and really enjoyed it (and if you look at reviews from the time, it was very well regarded). 

On 26/09/2020 at 11:51, JamesC said:

Europlatformer doesn't necessarily equal bad gameplay. 

As I said on the MD thread, I recently played through Robocod and really enjoyed it (and if you look at reviews from the time, it was very well regarded). 

I did like Robocod at the time (not played it in ages so I can't say for sure I'll still like it), I think the stretching mechanic made it a lot of fun. Although I wouldn't necessarily treat those reviews as reliable.

However so many platformers from Europe from the 80s onwards were full of blind jumps and enemies spawning right in front of you. Very few of these developers managed to learn anything from Mario etc. The main lesson they took away was a need for cute characters.

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Darhkwing said:

Started Super Metroid a week or so back for the first time. Great game but can be a little frustrating at times.

It totally outstayed its welcome when I finally played it. Amazing level design and atmosphere but let down by, for me, by hours and hours of traversing the same areas again and again whilst occasionally fighting bosses who liked to throw more ammo and health capsules at you than present any kind of danger. 

I'm glad I ticked it off The List of Classics (and managed a high item found percentage) but for a first timer determined not to use a guide or seek any other assistance it really wasn't enjoyable for the most part. 

Perhaps playing through (and hugely enjoying) Zero Mission years before wasn't the wisest angle to have come at this.

17 minutes ago, spanky debrest said:

It totally outstayed its welcome when I finally played it. Amazing level design and atmosphere but let down by, for me, by hours and hours of traversing the same areas again and again while occasionally fighting bosses which liked to throw more ammo and health capsules at you than present any kind of danger. 

I'm glad I ticked it off The List of Classics (and managed a high item found percentage) but man, for a first timer determined not to use a guide or seek any assistance it really wasn't enjoyable for the most part.

I did a lot of the game without assistance - (say, first 60/70% of the game) but the final sections have been tricky.

One boss fight (botwoon) took me like 40 minutes to kill as i wasn't quite sure what i was doing!. The more you open up the more it get's a little frustrating to back track etc but it really hasn't been that bad. I've had a couple of times people have assisted (as ive been streaming it) but ive been trying to do it all on my own. 

I must admit i'm kinda ready for it to be over with, i don't think i have too much longer to go. I would like to try some of the other metroid games but on the same page i don't want to end up getting frustrated if they are overly ambiguous like Super Metroid can be at times.

I completed Super Metroid several times in 1994/5, but these days I do find the level of backtracking a bit more off-putting. Back then it didn’t really register as a negative because I’d never played anything like it, either atmosphere or the quality or the basic game design, but now... It could’ve done with some streamlining, really. Although obviously not to the extent of Metroid Fusion.

I still have my original big box copy which came with the player guide, so trying to play it without any sort of guide seems alien to me (I still never finished it back in the 90s but got pretty far in).

I was just coming in here to talk about Super Metroid. I didn't play it originally and then finally emulated and completed it about 15 years ago.

I fired it up again for another playthrough a few days ago and I think it's aged beautifully, there are very few 16bit and earlier games I enjoy beyond mostly nostalgia but this is definitely one of them. The atmosphere and sense of discovery is pretty peerless.

I made good progress with Super Metroid yesterday. It feels amazing when you figure out a puzzle and gain a new power up or item.

I feel that i am at the end of the game now but i think i will still do some exploration before i finish it. I still get a little frustrated getting a bit lost, trying to follow the map and realizing there is a dead end.

Hoping to get it finished tomorrow but will be a little sad it will be over with - i'll have to try some other games in the genre like this too.

I might have asked this before, but is there a Honeybee-style converter for playing NTSC-U games on a Super Famicom (and PAL games if possible, though I'm well aware of the 50/60hz issues on unmodded consoles)? It's easy to find converters for playing imports on PAL consoles, but I've no idea if the same ones would work on my SFC. Thanks!

Yeah, at least that was the case on my previous PAL console, but I'm interested in finding out if there's a non-invasive solution for JP consoles. (I used to hate using the big, bulky converters in the 90s but as I only have a couple of non-SFC games now, they seem like the easiest option!)

I've been playing a bit of X-Men Mutant Apocalypse on the SFC.

I really like this game from Capcom. It basically takes the controls/moves from the X-Men 1 on 1 fighting games and puts them into a scrolling, mission based action-platformer. The gameplay is fairly straightforward but it's really fun stuff and the whole thing looks and sounds absolutely fantastic! To start with, each X-Man has their own individual mission - when you've completed those you can choose which X-Man you want to use for each subsequent mission. It's fun to experiment with different characters as some can open up alternate paths etc.

There's a sequel called War of the Gems which features other Marvel heroes but it's stupidly expensive.

I don't know why these games weren't more commercially successful - I'd certainly have been interested but I don't think I ever even heard of them at the time. 

1 hour ago, Klatrymadon said:

Yeah, at least that was the case on my previous PAL console, but I'm interested in finding out if there's a non-invasive solution for JP consoles. (I used to hate using the big, bulky converters in the 90s but as I only have a couple of non-SFC games now, they seem like the easiest option!)

I’ve seen a few on eBay, but they’re too expensive. 

For example... https://m.ebay.ie/itm/Brand-New-Protection-Socket-Slot-for-Super-Nintendo-Super-Famicom-To-SNES-SFC-SF/332967929767

That looks a lot like the one I sold to @Marlowe for £10 a few pages back. Ugly, but it works, and has wiring for the extra pins used by carts with expansion chips (SuperFX, SA-1) which most cheat devices lack. I got it from a Swedish retro shop (also mentioned somewhere in the depths of this thread), but they don't seem to make them any more.