rllmuk
HarryBizzle

HTC Vive - Pro HMD Announced (Wireless, Integrated Audio, Improved Optics, etc)

I'm diving back into VR after not using it for some months while I had a loft conversion completed.  Just received my Deluxe Audio head strap and got a new foam face cover:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01HM4QB0Y/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The Deluxe Audio Strap is great and the weight distribution is better has the headset does not feel as front heavy.  Built in headphones are great.  

I bought a load of cheap VR games in a recent Humble Bundle sale that I'm yet to play:

SUPERHOT VR - £11.45

DOOM VFR - £12.59

Arizona Sunshine - £16.19

On 2/17/2018 at 19:32, VN1X said:

Showing the good and the bad. And the terrible.

No mention of PSVR doing really well I see.

• Empathy 1

I've put in a few hours into Arizona Sunshine.  It's a decent zombie shooter.  Playing with full movement is brilliant as 

strafing or running back popping off zombies never gets old.  Just been through the mines which was kind of terrifying especially when I dropped the torch and it took me a while to find it again, whilst zombie moans where approaching.  Had to rely on muzzle flash on the hand gun to see where they where.  

There are annoying niggles where I got stuck on ground debris or obstacles but with teleporting movement it probably won't be an issue.  It's great to be back in VR gaming.

• Upvote 1

Played a bit of Standout which is a PUBG clone but in VR.  It's definitely rough graphically but you forget all about that once playing.  It s got the same one more go factor.  It's constantly being updated and a healthy online population.  Great stuff.

Anyone planning to get the Vive wireless adapter?  I'm thinking I'll get the missus to get it for my birthday.  Must admit the faff that comes with having a wire has meant that I have not used the Vive as much, so I'm hoping it will reinvigorate VR gaming for me.

Does not feel like it.

In some ways gfx cards need to catch up so they can push out two 4k pictures at 90hz and we are a generation or two away from that.

• Upvote 1

Yeah, the problem is not the ability to build a higher res headset really, although there is a cost implication but the power to drive the fucker.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Fallows said:

Are we any closer to a true second generation of headsets yet?

Depends.

Truly self contained. wireless with 6dof controllers and headset? oculus quest.

Higher res etc? Lots of options, but without the software support and often without the fit/controllers - think they’re all hoping knuckles comes out soon?

My wife bought me a htc wireless adapter for my birthday.  

My Vr room* is being used as storage after some renovations but hope to clear it soon to give this a try.  Any one got one ?  Good or bad experience?

*Holodeck 

Managed to set this up at the weekend.  Very straight forward to install everything.  A PCIe WiGig card had to be installed to the motherboard, a wireless link box fixed to the top of the monitor and attaching the adapter to the headset.  Then I had to download and install software for the adapter from HTC.

Once I paired the adapter I was getting full strength signal, so far so good.  My room is quite small so this helps with signal strength as the wireless link box that sits on the monitor, uses the walls to bounce a signal round the room.  I started up Steam Vr and put the headset on and I was initially disappointed as there was artifacting, screen jumping and pixelation all over the place and I was not even in a game.  Thankfully there is a option to try 3 different modes which I guess is like different channels on your router.  I switched to mode 2 and this cleared and stabilised the visuals massively.

I fired up Holopoint which is bow and arrow wave shooter which would usually end up with me being in a massive twisted mess of cabling due to its 360 degrees play field, so it was the perfect test case. 

Upon playing wireless it was brilliant not being worried about having to be mindful of the cable and it getting so twisted that it would yank at the headset.  There is slight artifacting but it is very brief and very infrequent. The powerbank battery died so I could not try other games.  In terms of weight I could not feel a difference between this and the wired headset, If anything it feels lighter perhaps because a wired headset has slight tension from the 3in1 cable which is quite weighty.  The feeling of being untethered is amazing.  I would find it very difficult to go back to a wired VR solution.

9/10 so far but have to test other roomscale games to put it through its paces. 

• Upvote 4

Wasn't sure which was the best thread for this, but I finally played Mario Kart VR yesterday!

At £8 for one lap and about 5 minutes, it's abominably expensive. But it's also a lot of very trippy fun.

Kart movement, fans and hand tracking really give this an immersion that I couldn't hope to get at home, and throwing shells with your own hands was great fun. Acceleration felt weirdly hobbled though. I'd recommend it as a gaming novelty, but it won't be essential until the price goes down and the quantity of game goes up.

Played a Wing Cycle game too. Played a lot more with the vertigo of the medium, but also felt a lot more low quality, like I remember a lot of VR experiences feeling on my old DK2.

I've had mine all set up for a couple of weeks now. I'd tried (and loved) PSVR before but this room-scale is a total game changer... I'm walking around a game FFS! The mountain range that The Lab drops you into was astonishing, as was kneeling down to pick up sticks to throw for the dog. My favourite game is that truly 3D bullet hell shmup. I found myself trying to dodge the bullets myself instead of navigating the ship. Great little package overall, and the perfect demo suite. Feels like a Valve pack-in game, which it may as well be seeing as it's free. I really wish Valve made more games.

Played Thumper for a bit. Absolutely fucking phenomenal. If you turn off the camera reset you have the big rail that the beetle glides along right in your room with you like some kind of snooker table or something... You can even crawl underneath it and stand at either side. The game itself didn't add much to the experience as it's something I zone into and quickly forget my visual surroundings, so after five minutes it feels like I'm playing on my monitor but with a massively reduced resolution.

BallisticNG. It's basically 32-bit Wipeout, only with VR support. At first I was sat in a cockpit with a part of the canopy obscuring the middle of my vision. "A bit of shit design, this..." I thought before unlocking the recline on my chair and rocking all the way back. That was more like it! Another game that initially amazes in VR but then wears off as you zone in. Will play more.

Superhot VR. Awesome, but too short and far too easy. I remember the tech demo I played bursting into real-time whenever you moved. Was that cut back for VR?

Rez. This is more like it, as it's a much more chilled game I can fuck about with and look at stuff rather than concentrating on rhythm and precise button inputs. Area X is absolutely magical, and my only complaint is that it should have been expanded upon for Rez 2.0

I can't wait for Skyrim VR. I just need a bit of extra time making sure each of my SSE mods carry over to the VR version.

• Upvote 2

Superhot VR. Awesome, but too short and far too easy. I remember the tech demo I played bursting into real-time whenever you moved. Was that cut back for VR?

Not sure what you mean... time stops when you physically stop, and only starts when you move. It's the core game mechanic. What are your enemies doing? 

6 hours ago, Fallows said:

Feels like a Valve pack-in game, which it may as well be seeing as it's free. I really wish Valve made more games.

Valve are supposed to be making 3 VR games but when they will release is anybody's guess

https://www.roadtovr.com/htc-valve-still-committed-making-three-vr-full-games/

Also Valve have VR 'knuckles' controllers are in development which will track your fingers and play games in an open palm fashion

https://www.roadtovr.com/valve-knuckles-dv-dev-kit-promotion/

VR games I recommend:

Onward

Pavlov

Eleven: Table Tennis VR

Fallout 4 Vr (need a good system for this)

Hot Dogs, Horseshoes & Hand Grenades

Redout (Wipeout clone)

Raw Data

Budget Cuts

Arizona Sunshine

Space Pirate Trainer

The Brookhaven Experiment

Sportsbar VR

New Retro Arcade:Neon (relive the co op arcade days)

Elite Dangerous 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Treble said:

Not sure what you mean... time stops when you physically stop, and only starts when you move. It's the core game mechanic. What are your enemies doing? 

They're all moving extremely slowly. So much so that I have to dance around to get them to approach me a little bit quicker, but it's still painfully slow. It's annoying when I run out of ammo and things to throw.

I remember the tech demo where you had to think out your move before committing to the controls because once you did it'd kick into real-time and you'd eat bullets if not mega careful. Felt more like Hotline from my memory...

37 minutes ago, simms said:

Valve are supposed to be making 3 VR games but when they will release is anybody's guess

https://www.roadtovr.com/htc-valve-still-committed-making-three-vr-full-games/

Also Valve have VR 'knuckles' controllers are in development which will track your fingers and play games in an open palm fashion

https://www.roadtovr.com/valve-knuckles-dv-dev-kit-promotion/

VR games I recommend:

Onward

Pavlov

Eleven: Table Tennis VR

Fallout 4 Vr (need a good system for this)

Hot Dogs, Horseshoes & Hand Grenades

Redout (Wipeout clone)

Raw Data

Budget Cuts

Arizona Sunshine

Space Pirate Trainer

The Brookhaven Experiment

Sportsbar VR

New Retro Arcade:Neon (relive the co op arcade days)

Elite Dangerous 

Cheers. I've already got a couple of those on my wishlist. I've got two months of Viveport too.

Beat Saber

Job Simulator

KTaNE

Budget Cuts

Skyrim VR

Those are are my immediates. I also tried out Racket-NX which was fun, yet tiring.

• Upvote 1

On 09/02/2019 at 09:23, Rumspringa said:

If you can handle BallisticNG you should give Vector 36 a go, it's phenomenal in VR. The sense of speed and momentum is incredible, you will shit yourself. It's important to get it running at 90 fps but it's not too difficult to achieve. Can't recommend it enough.

Thanks! I just checked out the video, and yes, you can easily tell that the drift/momentum would bring so much feel to VR. BallisticNG is great, but it's just too direct and responsive. There's no threat. Perhaps because I'm playing it on the back of lots of Wip3out so it's not like I'm blundering around with it, it's serious business as soon as the races start and I'm zoned in until the finish line - almost forgetting that I'm viewing the game in VR. I don't know if that's a good thing or not, but there's certainly nothing special about it. I think I actually prefer playing it at 144fps over VR if I'm honest.

I need more drift and wind/weather conditions that make my stomach churn.

Thanks. It's already on my wishlist.

Budget Cuts is really good! I'm only very early on so I'm hoping it doesn't end too soon.

I never usually get on with rogue-likes, but there is something wildly fun about actually ducking behind office furniture and listening out for footsteps to end before taking a peek and making your move.

Hmmm interesting seems to be heavily Valve 'inspired' :sherlock:

Looks fantastic can't wait to see how this turns out

The video below has some spoilers.  I which I had not watched as there are things I'd like to find for myself but it does show the potential of this game.  Also, hope this means the knuckles controller release this year.

Just played Ultrawings.  Nice little homage to Pilotwings.  I just wanted a fairly relaxing blue skies flying VR game to play.  Not bad for the £12 I paid.

• Upvote 1

Transpose is free to keep on Steam for a while, normally £15 https://store.steampowered.com/app/835950/Transpose/

• Upvote 1