Owzzat? Anyone play cricket games? Discuss them here

I just want to apologise to those who have offered to test the game for me but have not received any builds to test. I have to be pretty careful until this deal is done/falls apart because at the moment it could go either way.

Rest assured, when testing does begin I'll be in touch.

• 3 weeks later...

I've lost interest in Don Bradman a bit.  I'm playing with an opening batsman, and he does spectacularly well.  I've usually made about 250 before Cook has reached 50 of his own, unless I'm out.  At the moment we're in a series against South Africa, and we're being stuffed out of sight.

In the third test, with England already 2-0 down, I made 440 in reply to SA's mammoth score, before getting out with the score about 500-1.  What followed is actually quite similar to what happens with the real team in India - a good start leads to a total collapse after the first wicket.  The rest of the nine wickets fell for about 100, and South Africa had a nearly 200-run lead.  They cruised on before declaring, and England, needing about 400, again started well.  I got 150-odd and it looked getable, but when I was out first wicket, they soon skittled the rest of us.

Utterly depressed, with the series gone, I decided I'd win the next one even if it needed underhand methods.  South Africa batted first, and made a poor (for them) 450-odd.  It would have been fewer, but with the last wicket yet to fall, my non-bowler was inexplicably given the ball to bowl a couple of overs.  Still, it was England's best position in the series, so I saved before the first ball of the England innings, but what happened next has rather put me off the game.

Fast-forwarding to the part I was next involved with, Cook had made one off the third delivery, leaving me to finish the over.  As always, there was nobody at long on, so I hit three fours there.  Fast forwarding again, though, I found, to my horror, I was facing the last ball of the second over, with the score having gone from 13-0 to 14-2.  I wasn't having that, so I reloaded the saved game, and exactly the same thing happened - bar one of my fours being a six this time.  Cook and whoever was number three were again out on the exact same balls.  It seems that each ball isn't random - the computer has already decided what is going to happen.  I reloaded again, and made sure to be facing the first ball of the second over by taking only a single off the last ball of the first over, so the pattern didn't happen again, but nevertheless, two wickets again fell cheaply.

I haven't played it since then.  Instead, I've gone back to PS3 cricket for a while.  Would like an updated version of Don Bradman soon.

• 9 months later...

Yeah and that's OK - I don't mind if the player licences and stadia aren't spot on, or if the tournaments aren't all official. Or there's no Ultimate Team shenanigans! But I do want the fundamentals to be right and preordained results or having it be as unbalanced as what @smelly bastard was describing there (heh, he's not playing as the Windies for example) would soon get right on my nerves.

6 minutes ago, milko said:

Yeah and that's OK - I don't mind if the player licences and stadia aren't spot on, or if the tournaments aren't all official. Or there's no Ultimate Team shenanigans! But I do want the fundamentals to be right and preordained results or having it be as unbalanced as what @smelly bastard was describing there (heh, he's not playing as the Windies for example) would soon get right on my nerves.

Playing as England his account sounds pretty accurate ;)

2 hours ago, gossi the dog said:

Is anyone else planning on getting Ashes Cricket? It's the new name for Don Bradman.

Nah, I already have an over-priced, broken as f**k Don Bradman game that is years old. It's a shame there's zero competition, cricket fans deserve better than full price for a budget quality game that is a generation old.

43 minutes ago, milko said:

Ho Ho and all true but “usually made 250 before Cook has 50” sounds a bit daft. That’s some serious hogging of the strike!

It's not from hogging the strike.  It's from the fact that most deliveries can be slogged back over the bowler's head to the boundary.  Eventually the computer puts a fielder there, but he is soon moved.  While Cook has a strike rate of about 25 runs per 100 balls faced, mine is about 400.

On 05/01/2017 at 02:48, smelly bastard said:

Fast-forwarding to the part I was next involved with, Cook had made one off the third delivery, leaving me to finish the over.  As always, there was nobody at long on, so I hit three fours there.  Fast forwarding again, though, I found, to my horror, I was facing the last ball of the second over, with the score having gone from 13-0 to 14-2.  I wasn't having that, so I reloaded the saved game, and exactly the same thing happened - bar one of my fours being a six this time.  Cook and whoever was number three were again out on the exact same balls.  It seems that each ball isn't random - the computer has already decided what is going to happen.  I reloaded again, and made sure to be facing the first ball of the second over by taking only a single off the last ball of the first over, so the pattern didn't happen again, but nevertheless, two wickets again fell cheaply.

This reminds of when it came out that in Football Manager the result was largely decided the moment you pressed 'start match' button.

15 hours ago, gossi the dog said:

It's the best cricket game you can buy. However, it just doesn't have the money poured into it that other sports video games of the likes of FIFA and NBA 2k do. 

I'm definitely interested, but will wait for some reviews - I was going to get DB17 until I heard they completely broke the player career stats and pretty much abandoned support for it and never fixed it (which it is now clear because they were making Ashes Cricket). I put a fair chunk of time into DB14 and enjoyed it, but it had some niggles. It does play a good game of cricket though and digging in to compile a score is quite a rewarding feeling.

When is Ashes Cricket out on Steam?

• 2 weeks later...

I'm thinking the same myself. Haven't played a proper cricket game since international cricket 2010. The few reviews about seem to give the game a solid score. Might take a punt on it. Trying to set up a weekly/bi-weekly/monthly (free time dependant) grudge match with a friend who happens to be the only other person I know with an interest in cricket. £42 isn't too bad price wise.

I'm a bit less enthusiastic about the latest one having watched the video on Gamespot.  In the first over they show, there are three runouts from dot balls, all at the non-striker's end, as he ambles towards the middle of the pitch, without a care in the world, and only seems to realise where he is once the bails are whipped off by the fielder.  Once the player is batting, and the CPU is bowling, just about every ball call be slogged to the boundary, like in the Don Bradman game.

The commentary sounds like they've asked a couple of teenagers from a London school to come and do it.  There is an Australian as well.

The catching looks fun, though.

is that an AI player in control of the batsmen? Those run-outs seem a game-wrecking bug if so. If it's a human then maybe they're just not doing it right and you have to press a button to ground your bat if the ball goes to a fielder? That would seem reasonable if they're doing a bit of backing up or something.

On 17/11/2017 at 02:40, smelly bastard said:

The commentary sounds like they've asked a couple of teenagers from a London school to come and do it.  There is an Australian as well.

Sounds like James Taylor and Michael Slater to me. Very repetitive dialog, the same commentary was used in two consecutive deliveries!

I don't know how the run out bug could have been missed in testing. Hopefully it will be patched quickly.

• 3 weeks later...

Did anyone else bother? I purchased it via the Mexico xbox store for ~£26 (I was there on holiday). It's more of the same, but with the Ashes and England and Australia licencing. It's good. They've also added button presses to the game (good for bowling, makes batting boring). I haven't come across the run out bug. The commentary is still awful (they added some girl I never heard of who sounds like a teenage boy).

I bought it for PS4. Cost £42! I really liked it at first. Then I tried career mode..

I don't know if it's just in career mode but it is absolutely littered with bugs. The commentator says the wrong team name regularly. The wicket keeper randomly uses a girl's voice to say "Well bowled!" sometimes and I had a situation where I was bowling and waited for the fielder to throw the ball back. He threw it to the wicket keeper who just kept hold of it and wouldn't throw it to me. Had to reload the game.

I wasn't expecting FIFA Ultimate Team levels of polish but things like that spoil the immersion a bit. The other modes seem ok but I'm starting to see the holes in it now. 

I do like the batting though. It feels intuitive, whereas the bowling often feels like you're waiting for the batsman to make a mistake to get a wicket.

Having said all that it's definitely one of the better cricket games I've played. It just has obvious flaws. The commentary is repetitive and annoying too.

7 minutes ago, Coltrane said:

I do like the batting though. It feels intuitive, whereas as the bowling often feels like you're waiting for the batsman to make a mistake to get a wicket

The bating is what it's all about. You genuine have to react as a proper cricketer. 

Just now, gossi the dog said:

The bating is what it's all about. You genuine have to react as a proper cricketer. 

Definitely. I used to play a lot of cricket when I was younger and this is the closest any game has got to replicating how batting really 'feels'. They seem to have nailed the footwork as well which is a nice touch.