rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Steven

Star Wars: The Last Jedi

There is a real split between critics and audience reviews on Rotten Tomatoes. Like 90+ Vs 65. I think the critics are getting caught up in the arcs and message a bit too much.

That said, I struggle with what Rey's arc is. 

Spoiler

There is the revelation that her parents are a nobodies, which sort of gives her something, but she's fundamentally the same character at the start and end of the film. There's no great change, unlike Poe or Finn. 

It's also about the only hole with Luke's plot. Luke must know that going off to face Kylo and Snoke ends in either death or another Supervillain. Empire happened! Vader wrecked him and Yoda actually trained him a bit. As broken as he is, he can't really allow that?

2 hours ago, Hexx said:

Yeah but

Hide contents

How did she get TO the Falcon?

Same way she got to the falcon at the end of TFA: movie magic and plot armour. 

And another thing, regarding the ending.

Spoiler

To those saying why didn't Luke just meet Kylo face to face. 

He believed he'd already wronged Ben Solo. The last thing he wanted to do was cause any more conflict. 

That ending was perfect.

• Upvote 2

41 minutes ago, kensei said:

There is a real split between critics and audience reviews on Rotten Tomatoes. Like 90+ Vs 65. I think the critics are getting caught up in the arcs and message a bit too much.

Personally, I am hesitant about trusting audience scores for films with this kind of following and fans.  I mean, they would convince me that Justice League was a great movie.  

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, makkuwata said:

Hmm. I’m confused. I’m pretty sure I didn’t like this. Guess I need to watch it 2 more times over the weekend to make sure.

I feel like that. There are things I didn't enjoy about it, but the more I think about the stuff I did like, that stuff is really, really good. 

Fans tend to be overly generous to crap movies, and overly harsh to good movies.

I mean, people convinced themselves Revenge of the Sith was a good movie because it was better than Attack of the Clones (which I’m convinced is the worst mainstream movie I’ve ever seen, so it’s hardly saying much).

I don’t think The Last Jedi will go down as a film classic, but let’s be honest, genuine classics are few and far between. It has its flaws, but to balance so many characters and plot strands, action sequences and references to the previous films, Rian Johnson’s done a tremendous job if you ask me.

There are some key sequences in this that are right up there with the very best Star Wars has to offer, and I can’t wait to watch them again.

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 1

One thing I found quite odd for a SW film was the

really contemporary language/humour. I forget exactly what Ade Edmonson said to Hux, but it was something like “I believe he might be mugging you off”, and there were several instances of that

. Not that it was bad or anything, it just stuck out as something I’d not seen a lot of in a SW movie. For me, the good far outweighed the bad, and I need to see it again.

1 minute ago, Captain LeChuck said:
  Hide contents

"I believe he's tooling with you, sir."

Ade Edmondson was brilliant, because I didn't quite recognise him even after two viewings. I knew I'd seen him in something, but without the glasses ... then someone mentioned him here, and the penny dropped. Holy shit! :lol:

Honestly, he was great, a classic Imperial officer. Genius casting, even for such a small part. And you can tell Ade loved every minute of that.

That was it, thanks LeChuck. I can't remember where I read the interview, but about a year ago Ade said he was in the film, but I’d totally forgotten about it until I saw him. Brought a big smile to my face.

Just now, Captain LeChuck said:
  Hide contents

"I believe he's tooling with you, sir."

Ade Edmondson was brilliant, because I didn't quite recognise him even after two viewings. I knew I'd seen him in something, but without the glasses ... then someone mentioned him here, and the penny dropped. Holy shit! :lol:

Honestly, he was great, a classic Imperial officer. Genius casting, even for such a small part. And you can tell Ade loved every minute of that.

I didn’t recognise him either :lol:

But he was great, and made Hux look even more ridiculous and out of place. ‘Tooling’ sounds exactly like the language they would use.

8 minutes ago, Captain LeChuck said:

Ah, see, I preferred Hux in this compared to him in TFA. 

Hide contents

In TFA he's played too straight, it just didn't work. I actually found him to be rather ridiculous in TFA. In this, the comedy worked because they played on that, even had Snoke comment on why he's kept around. Much of the comedy really worked for me in TLJ. 

I liked the comedy too with Hux but not all of it.

Spoiler

Having such a silly comedy moment in the end, in such an important moment, kinda made him feel more like the side kick comic relief character than an actual leader of armies. And I think it will only get worse with the next movie. 

7 minutes ago, Captain LeChuck said:

Ah, see, I preferred Hux in this compared to him in TFA. 

Hide contents

In TFA he's played too straight, it just didn't work. I actually found him to be rather ridiculous in TFA. In this, the comedy worked because they played on that, even had Snoke comment on why he's kept around. Much of the comedy really worked for me in TLJ. 

Yep, I thought the comedy worked well throughout, and was perfectly in character for everyone.

I just didn’t find Hux funny (the laughs came from Poe in the opening scene, not from Hux). His spoilt brat response to everything became tiresome very quickly.

One thing I really liked:

Snoke taking the piss out of Kylo’s helmet 

:lol:

• Upvote 1

I've not seen it yet but a Star Wars movie from the director of Looper (like Timecop, but a million times worse ;D) and the Fly episode of Breaking Bad is enough to dial down expectations accordingly.

Now i know 'Fly' has it's fans but it's not the first thing that springs to mind when thinking of Breaking Bad is it

Looper had a tremendous opening hour then pissed it all away

Sigh

• Upvote 3
  • Empathy 1

Am I right in thinking....

Spoiler

If Finn and Rose and Poe had done nothing other than follow orders - then the Resistance would have successfully made it to Crait pretty much intact and the New Order would have flown past?

Nice on Finn - as long as your 'story arc' gives you a sense of self worth and courage then I guess the countless unnecessary death's is worth it!!

So, the Holdo manoeuvre...

Spoiler

implies a smaller ship entering hyperspace through a larger vessel will result in MASSIVE DAMAGE.

In which case, why in TFA didn’t Han’s freighter

Spoiler

blow up when he left it in the Falcon via hyperspace? There was certainly a blast, but the ship seemed to survive.

It’s all fucking bollocks which they make up as they go along.

• Downvote 1

5 hours ago, starls said:

Am I right in thinking....

Hide contents

If Finn and Rose and Poe had done nothing other than follow orders - then the Resistance would have successfully made it to Crait pretty much intact and the New Order would have flown past?

Nice on Finn - as long as your 'story arc' gives you a sense of self worth and courage then I guess the countless unnecessary death's is worth it!!

It's even worse than that.

Spoiler

For some reason Holdo thought it a great idea to keep her plan of saving the fleet secret from her best pilot, when all he was asking her constantly was to tell him what the plan was. There was a plan but since she didn't tell him, he ran off acting desperate and almost caused the annihilation of the rebel fleet. What is truly awful is that both Leia and Holdo actually found his scoundrel ways sweet in the end because, well, what can you do "he is a lovable rogue". 

Very -very- poor storytelling at that moment.

• Upvote 8

Saw it today. Good enough but ultimately disappointing for me. People have already pointed out the daft stuff. General thoughts are 20 mins too long and forgettable middle section. 

Better than prequels (obvs) nowhere near the classic trilogy and slightly worse than 7

3 hours ago, Paulando said:

Fans tend to be overly generous to crap movies, and overly harsh to good movies.

I mean, people convinced themselves Revenge of the Sith was a good movie because it was better than Attack of the Clones (which I’m convinced is the worst mainstream movie I’ve ever seen, so it’s hardly saying much).

I don’t think The Last Jedi will go down as a film classic, but let’s be honest, genuine classics are few and far between. It has its flaws, but to balance so many characters and plot strands, action sequences and references to the previous films, Rian Johnson’s done a tremendous job if you ask me.

There are some key sequences in this that are right up there with the very best Star Wars has to offer, and I can’t wait to watch them again.

It IS a good movie, certainly better than the three Disney ones. No argument about Attack of the Clones though.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 10
  • Empathy 1

Can one of you hardcore Star Wars fans explain something for me (massive TLJ spoilers ahead)?:

Spoiler

Has it been established anywhere that the Jedi disappear when they die, or is it something they choose? Did Obi-Wan make himself disappear just before Vader took him down so he could be reborn as a force ghost, for example (or was it to get a ‘U’ rating ;))?

After what Snoke said about the balance of light and dark, and the light getting stronger as Ben’s dark side grew, I saw Luke’s death as something quite deliberate, to take him out of the equation and weaken Kylo and/or make Rey stronger. Or is that not right? :unsure:

6 minutes ago, Paulando said:

Can one of you hardcore Star Wars fans explain something for me (massive TLJ spoilers ahead)?:

Hide contents

Has it been established anywhere that the Jedi disappear when they die, or is it something they choose? Did Obi-Wan make himself disappear just before Vader took him down so he could be reborn as a force ghost, for example (or was it to get a ‘U’ rating ;))?

After what Snoke said about the balance of light and dark, and the light getting stronger as Ben’s dark side grew, I saw Luke’s death as something quite deliberate, to take him out of the equation and weaken Kylo and/or make Rey stronger. Or is that not right? :unsure:

Right at the end of Revenge Of The Sith,

Yoda tells Obi-Wan that he has training for him while he’s in exile, and reveals that Qui-Gonn has discovered a way to come back from the netherworld. Presume it’s linked to that. Yoda pulls the same trick when he pops off in ROTJ.

It was ambiguous in the original trilogy. In Revenge of the Sith Yoda told Obi Wan that Qui Gon had learned how to become one with the force (or similar) and set him the task of learning how to do it himself during his years in hiding. So by the time of the original trilogy both Obi Wan and Yoda has learned how to do it. That still left the plot hole of how Anakin managed to come back as a ghost but we don’t worry about that. Presumably Luke was still talking to Obi Wan or possibly even Yoda up until the time he cut himself off from the force, so he could have learned how to do it then.

3 minutes ago, Darren said:

Reveal hidden contents

It was ambiguous in the original trilogy. In Revenge of the Sith Yoda told Obi Wan that Qui Gon had learned how to become one with the force (or similar) and set him the task of learning how to do it himself during his years in hiding. So by the time of the original trilogy both Obi Wan and Yoda has learned how to do it. That still left the plot hole of how Anakin managed to come back as a ghost but we don’t worry about that. Presumably Luke was still talking to Obi Wan or possibly even Yoda up until the time he cut himself off from the force, so he could have learned how to do it then.

Spoiler

Yoda and Kenobi taught Anakin's spirit how to do it. From Lucas in the ROTJ DVD commentary:

"This little scene where he burns his father's body, it wasn't originally in the script. But I decided it gave more closure in terms of Luke's relationship to his father, letting go of his father. Even though later on, as we get to the end of the movie, as he joins the Force, he was able to retain his original identity, it's because of Obi-Wan and Yoda, who learned how to do that: how to join the Force at will and then retain your identity. But it was his identity as he was when he died as Anakin Skywalker."

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Paulando said:

I didn’t recognise him either :lol:

But he was great, and made Hux look even more ridiculous and out of place. ‘Tooling’ sounds exactly like the language they would use.

I instantly recognised him from the rather Eddie Hitler delivery of the first line, but having not seen him in anything made in the last 20 years I then spent the rest of the film wondering if it actually was, or just someone very similar!