rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
strawdonkey

Math Rock / Emo

I hate genre titles. Maybe it is because I am old and cantankerous - ANYWAY

There's a subreddit called listentothis which recently did a great end-of-year 2015 recommendations list, and it turns out there's been some great Math Rock in the last year!

Strawberry Girls - American Graffiti

Bandcamp

Toe - Hear You

Bandcamp

Tricot - A N D

• Upvote 3

Not sure if math rock is a worse genre name than intelligent dance music, but it's close.

Will have a listen, fell off of the wagon since Hella stopped making stuff.

I hate genre titles. Maybe it is because I am old and cantankerous - ANYWAY

Me too, but isn't "Emo" a million miles away from math rock?

I like a few groups in the latter genre, Slint and Tortoise (although I consider them more jazz)

Genres are most restrictive in record shops. Just give me one massive A to Z for fuck sakes. I can agree to high level ones like Pop/Rock, Jazz, Blues, Classical etc, but sub-genre after sub-genre is tiresome.

Awesome thread! I kinda thought to start one a while back but didn't know what the response would be to putting emo in the title :).

I demand moar Toe! Here's my personal fav:

And going to see This Town Needs Guns again later on in the year (with Foxing). Excited!

• Upvote 1

Not according to Wikipedia:

A significant intersect exists between math rock and emo, exemplified by bands such as Sweep the Leg Johnny or American Football, who's sound was described as "twinkly, mathy rock, a sound that became one of the defining traits of the emo scene throughout the 2000s."

Which proves nothing...

I like a few groups in the latter genre, Slint and Tortoise (although I consider them more jazz)

I'd have pegged Slint closer to post-rock...

Either way. I lumped them together based on much of the stuff I listened to years back being classified as Emo - things like American Football, Spy Versus Spy, and so on - that share the complex guitar lines normally associated with Math Rock, just at a much more laid-back pace.

Genres!

In my mind there is a fairly vast chasm in influence between emo and math-rock, although I can see the end result is sometimes similar. Emo is lyrically focused punk, Dashboard Confessional and Panic at the Disco and such that came from Green Day that came from Nirvana's Greatest Hits. Math-rock is stuff that's slightly difficult to listen to with out of sync drums and such, Shellac and such. Whilst post-rock being sort of classically influenced big stuff, Sigur Ros and Mogwai.

It's probably reasonable to say that most acts you'd use two of the three to describe them and you'd then get a fairly accurate description.

Best/Worst-named band, You Slut!, are playing a few dates supporting Maybeshewill, and a few more dates because it's a lot of effort to re-learn how to play everything when you've been dormant for ages:

With Maybeshewill:

Tuesday April 12th: Stereo, Glasgow

Wednesday April 13th: The Brudenell, Leeds

Thursday April 14th: The Y Theatre, Leicester

Friday April 15th: Koko, London [sold out]

Without Maybeshewill:

Saturday April 16th: Tottenham, North London
Thursday April 21st: Manchester
Friday April 22nd: Derby (TBC)
Saturday April 23rd: Nottingham

Homework:

https://youslut.bandcamp.com 

Is this like the official emo thread now then? I always feel a bit intimidated posting in the punk or metal threads!

Anyway, new The Hotelier album coming soon - with a very NSFW teaser video here. It's going to be so good. Their last album Home, Like Noplace Is There is an instant classic in my eyes and went straight into my top 3.

Also, new Brand New album coming this year at some point. As in actually coming. Apparently.

As an aside I saw Mineral play their reunion tour last year and Frank Turner was there and looked like he'd been crying and it was the most emo thing I had ever seen in my entire life.

• Upvote 1

On 2/29/2016 at 6:29 PM, OneDvBmbr said:

Anyway, new The Hotelier album coming soon - with a very NSFW teaser video here. It's going to be so good. Their last album Home, Like Noplace Is There is an instant classic in my eyes and went straight into my top 3.

Yeah I watched this at work a couple of days ago and VERY quickly closed it around the 3 minute mark or whenever it is :). Sounded great though, reminded me of Neutral Milk Hotel - not that anyone can ever ape NMH of course - but his voice had that twinge to it and the guitar sounded a bit similar, and lovely.

New You Blew It! album this year as well I think! Exciting times. I love You Blew It! They're the only band I've ever dared to drink and hang out with after a gig. Nice guys.

Loving the new Into It Over It, didn't quite take to the previous album but I'm right back on board! Also there's a great review over it over on Pitchfork, really nice writing from Ian Cohen.

• Upvote 1

Spooky!

I've just bought this album today as they're co-headlining a UK tour with The Hotelier in the coming weeks, who I bought the tickets to see. Haven't really heard Into It Over It before so thought I'd best check something out in advance. Only listened a couple of times so far, but enjoying what I've heard.