rllmuk
rubberducker

SOLO: A Star Wars Story

Well colour me surprised but I actually really enjoyed that.  Good movie. 

I hope every spotted this little Easter egg in Paul Bettanys main room 

Spoiler

Gold statue from Raiders in pride of place there. 

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, JohnC said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Is Enfys Nest supposed to be someone from other movies? It's just the way they showed her taking the helmet off was like it was supposed to be a  big reveal, like Maul was.

I think it was more to build up expectation that she’d look like....well, anything rather than a young girl, so that when they subverted that in the reveal, it emphasised more that she wasn’t who or what you thought she was.  If that makes sense.

I thought it was excellent. Not the best of the Disney films mind, and possibly even in fourth place out of four, although I'll need to see it a few more times before I decide exactly how to rank it. Interestingly, I'd read that it took a while to get going and improved when Lando turned up, but I actually really enjoyed the first 20 minutes or so but found myself drifting away from it towards the end - I suspect that's just because I was getting tired though. All in all, it's an 8/10 for me, obviously miles ahead of AotC and RotS, and still better than the only half-decent prequel (TPM) but not a patch on the original trilogy and the least enjoyable of the four new ones so far, but only just. Best things to come out of it are that the three leads are all really, really good (meaning Han, Lando and Chewie), and as someone else already mentioned elsewhere, now that all the origin-story stuff has been taken care of, they can do something far more interesting and successful with the next two.

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, Hello Goaty ♥ said:

Unfortunately Landos robot got on my nerves though.  

Solid 8 out of 10 Minus one point for Landos bloody robot!

Phoebe Waller-Bridge? I'm not surprised, I only made it through 3-4 episodes of Fleabag before packing it in. Couldn't get on with her voice and accent at all. The Yanks seem to love her though. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Was pleasantly surprised by this. I was expecting a hot mess, but for the most part it’s a solid adventure film that successfully channels the spirit of the old films (better than the other Disney entries I thought). 

It's not perfect, some big moments fall a bit flat, Emilia Clark is so wooden she should be playing Groot, the comedy stylings of the droid fell utterly flat for me, I felt far more engaged watching Donald Glover interact with other characters as a pitch perfect young Lando than any of the #73654573635 CGI shots. But it has a big heart and an earnestness that's missing from a lot of modern films. So yeah, a decent old fashioned adventure film. A solid 7/10.

Okay I'll admit I marked out a bit when Darth Maul appeared. I was expecting yet another Vader cameo when Paul Bettany (who did a great job considering he was parachuted in at short notice) mentioned his mysterious benefactor.

However, if they plan to use him as the villain in a future Han Solo film then it'll make his ardent disbelief in the force in Star Wars even more nonsensical than it already is. Maybe they're setting him up a solid the big bad of the Obi Wan film?

• Upvote 1

Just back from this and I loved it - as a huge Star Wars fan the trailers just didn’t sell this so for the first time seeing a Star Wars movie i went in expecting this to be bad. - but I’m very happy to say that the film was a lot of fun with enough nods to existing movies and tv shows as well as to some on old extended universe stuff 

• Upvote 1

I didn't like this, it just felt flat for me. 

I really liked Donald glover's lando but that's probably because I like donglover as for the rest of it, maybe I'm being cynical compared to everyone else but I thought it lacked any heart or soul. 

How were people's cinemas? Mine only had around 15 people in the showing! Possibly the quietest big summer blockbuster opening night show I've been to. Don't know if that was because it was a rainy Thursday and most people will be taking the kids tomorrow when it’s not a school night.

11 minutes ago, Harsin said:

How were people's cinemas? Mine only had around 15 people in the showing! Possibly the quietest big summer blockbuster opening night show I've been to. Don't know if that was because it was a rainy Thursday and most people will be taking the kids tomorrow when it’s not a school night,

I was at the 5pm showing so it wasn't that busy, maybe two dozen people? 

For me that was the best of the new movies, it was just fun throughout. My cinema was nearly empty though, very little hype around this over compared to the others. 

52 minutes ago, Harsin said:

How were people's cinemas? Mine only had around 15 people in the showing! Possibly the quietest big summer blockbuster opening night show I've been to. Don't know if that was because it was a rainy Thursday and most people will be taking the kids tomorrow when it’s not a school night.

Electric in Birmingham  and was also quiet, probably around 10 people. Be interested to see how it does over the weekend and vs Deadpool 2.

I thought it was 'ok', but considering the troubled production I thought Ron Howard did well to pull it together. Although 

The Darth Maul reveal was a bit jarring having not been aware of his resurrection in the EU. Spent the rest of the film trying to work out the timeline and then how he could still be alive

2 hours ago, tomakasatnav said:

Confirmed so far is Ep 9, Rian Johnson trilogy, Game of Thrones people film (trilogy?), new cartoon tv show, new live action tv show?

Rumored is more Solo, Obi Wan, Boba Fett?

Boba Fett’s confirmed now kid:

12 hours ago, JohnC said:
  Hide contents

Is Enfys Nest supposed to be someone from other movies? It's just the way they showed her taking the helmet off was like it was supposed to be a  big reveal, like Maul was.

Spoiler

That was one of the worst bits, the times when Disney just turns their Disney-ness all the way up to eleven. They certainly held too long on her a few times, like Java Joes “they look like a swell gang” moment in Friends (why is that episode always on???). The pregnant pause, but here it had no meaning other than ‘hey look a millennial’ that you thought was some badarse bounty hunter alien. Surprise! You’re not watching you grandpa’s Star Wars!  This is that new shit! The need to have ‘Disney Princesses’ to idolise is cool I guess for young girls (and boys, word up!) but for this old man with no kids it’s a role taken away from some interesting freaky alien character. I’d have taken that lobster motherfucker over this advert for youthful beauty. Put some freckles on him if you have to Disney you fucks!

Im aware I’m becoming a grumpy old man but damn it I’m gonna own that shit.

Also - it’s because Leia did the same in Jedi and there are no original ideas anymore!

Get off my porch!!!

• Upvote 1

Releasing a Star Wars film six months after the last one just seems like a really stupid idea. Does anyone know why they've gone for this date? The winter releases for the last three seem to have worked pretty well. Is it just trying to maintain the tradition of all the pre-Disney Star Wars films coming out in the summer?

• Upvote 1

Pleasantly surprised by this; it's a fun, little film that works in spite of the need to throw as many OT call-backs in as possible.

All the concern that Alden Ehenreich was going to sink it was misplaced; he made the part his own. He's  doesn't do a Ford impression but there were moments when he was clearly channelling him; the finger of doom makes an appearance and there are eye-rolls and furious stares that are dead-on Ford/Solo. 

Glover was great; Clarke was fine (I really don't get the hate she seems to get.) though there little chemistry between her and Ehenreich. Chewie was great, as expected, but there was not enough of him! And Woody Harrelson was a good addition; really liked his character and the relatioship they developed between him and Han.

I did not like Lando's robot.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Harsin said:

6pm on a Thursday in the city centre and I estimate it was two thirds full.

It was OK but I'm told you'd get more out of it if you like the extended universe.

3 hours ago, K said:

Releasing a Star Wars film six months after the last one just seems like a really stupid idea. Does anyone know why they've gone for this date? The winter releases for the last three seem to have worked pretty well. Is it just trying to maintain the tradition of all the pre-Disney Star Wars films coming out in the summer?

I believe they wanted to get back to May releases. TFA was originally scheduled for May and so was IX.

3 hours ago, K said:

They had to wash away the shit taste left by TLJ as quickly as possible.

• Downvote 7
  • Empathy 2