rubberducker

SOLO: A Star Wars Story

10 minutes ago, Headache said:

Na, I don't think so. It's a bit bland, but I can't think of anything that's outright shit about it.

That’s it’s main crime. Everyone remembers Han Solo, that famously bland scoundrel, right?

I’m leaning towards agreeing with whizzo. At least the prequels tried, and failed, to tell a story, but there were some good bits in amongst the shit. This is just so middle of the road, it’s... nothing.

I could never have guessed that new Star Wars films would come out that’d make me reappraise the prequel trilogy in a better light!

56 minutes ago, Headache said:

Na, I don't think so. It's a bit bland, but I can't think of anything that's outright shit about it.

Spoiler

Kessel Run. "Equal Rights" Everything involving that droid. Darth Maul. Every shitty reference. " I hate you. I know" Han and Chewie in the shower. Danerys acting when she isn't danerys. The complete lack of chemistry between any of the leads esp han and Chewie and Han and Lando. Space Poker where the best hand always wins.

EDIT. " I don't have any people.  Ok......Han......Solo.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

23 minutes ago, whizzo said:
  Hide contents

Kessel Run. "Equal Rights" Everything involving that droid. Darth Maul. Every shitty reference. " I hate you. I know" Han and Chewie in the shower. Danerys acting when she isn't danerys. The complete lack of chemistry between any of the leads esp han and Chewie and Han and Lando. Space Poker where the best hand always wins.

And this is the joy of opinions, everything in your spoiler you disliked I liked.  There is no way you can make. Star Wars film without some sort of reference to the previous ones.  I know that Bond has done it (although there are still some instances, any appearance of the DB5 for one) but i think you need those callbacks & background references to pull the universes together.

This was a good fun film that zipped along at a decent pace (although I will concede that it could have been a bit tighter & shorter) and took me back to the sort of stuff I would make up in my childhood playing with my Star Wars toys.  That’s good enough for me.

• Upvote 2

My god the score is criminally bland on this one. I know Williams is 108 and gets a free pass - but enough is enough (he only contributed the Han music and the other guy’s stuff sounds like lift music).

His score was one of the only good things about the prequels, so it’s disappointing all his work on these new films sound like someone doing a bland, uninspired knock off of John Williams. 

4 hours ago, whizzo said:
  Hide contents

EDIT. " I don't have any people.  Ok......Han......Solo.

The shower scene was the best gag in the film!

• Upvote 5

It's not lowering expectations to give this a pass for being unspectacular, for me. Actually in moments it was fairly spectacular i thought, the 

Spoiler

ending of the kessel run with the zoomed out shot of the enormous kraken creature thing, the first shot in the trenches as Solo flies overhead. 

I also found the cinematography dulled and lacking contrast but i liked it otherwise, especially in the above scenes.

Keep reading the film wasn't thrilling, i...wasn't thrilled by Fury Road..can't think of many times I've been genuinely thrilled. I think it'd purely come down to my mood at the time, how something flows. Not much has come close to 24. 

Realised afterwards there were few establishing shots in the film. And so much of it was zoomed in, i couldn't make out where everyone was either, especially in the train sequence. 

This has done 210 million, globally, over eight days. There's no way to spin those numbers.

Lord and Miller must be absolutely gutted.

31 minutes ago, Steven said:

Lord and Miller must be absolutely gutted.

No more than when Disney/Lucasfilm kept on cockblocking their ideas and then firing them from the job I'd imagine. Even if that version had met a similar box office fate, at least they'd have died trying to do something new and interesting, rather than just something conforming to the expected house style.

There seemed like a few hints of lord and miller humour poking through... the shower scene, lando’s innuendo with the droid etc. Infact, I wish it had been funnier..I sure would love to see their cut. It may not be as Star warzy, but would be sooo interesting to see how it differed. 

• Upvote 1

Just remembered that car advert before the film with the Millennium Falcon and stormtroopers, etc. An abomination. How does that utter shit get made? Who signed off on it and went, ‘Wow, that’ll be really good!’?

• Upvote 1

I'm sure some people would say "Lucas would never agree to stuff like that!". Completely forgetting that rum bugger with the Xmas holiday special. We know George... we know.

13 minutes ago, Eighthours said:

Just remembered that car advert before the film with the Millennium Falcon and stormtroopers, etc. An abomination. How does that utter shit get made? Who signed off on it and went, ‘Wow, that’ll be really good!’?

Thought that coming out of TLJ.

• Upvote 2

On 01/06/2018 at 19:37, The Hierophant said:

Just seen it with my son (8). We both thought it was great. 

Some people massively overthink things. 

Spot on. I thought it was a great film. My 18 year old son and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

• Empathy 1

4 hours ago, Steven said:

This has done 210 million, globally, over eight days. There's no way to spin those numbers.

Holy fuck, really? That's insane. That's normally the low side for 8 days domestic for a SW film.

Fucking hell.

2 hours ago, rubberducker said:

There seemed like a few hints of lord and miller humour poking through... the shower scene, lando’s innuendo with the droid etc. Infact, I wish it had been funnier..I sure would love to see their cut. It may not be as Star warzy, but would be sooo interesting to see how it differed. 

Right, there were so many moments that had been written as Lord and Miller goofs, like when the door shuts and we don't see the cool fight, then the robot explains how cool it was; but it's all played so straight. I've forgotten the other ones but it felt like there were a couple in every scene.

Hopefully the terrible box office is the jolt they need to realise they can’t just throw money at it and rely on the brand alone. They need a serious creative plan going forward, and fortunately Episode IX is the perfect cut off point for the rubbish they’ve given us so far. 

• Upvote 9
  • Downvote 1

This is in no way even close to the absolute disaster of the prequels and is quite obviously a better movie than Caravan of Courage and makes far more sense than the Holiday Special.

After that, I’m struggling for positives. 

16 hours ago, Eighthours said:

The bit where the Mum gave the kid the tickets for the premiere got a bigger laugh than any of the jokes in the film from my audience :lol:

That advert was so exceptionally shit, next level kind of rubbish. 

Just back from seeing this with the wife, she was bored stiff during it whereas with Rogue One, the last one I subjected her to, she was pretty entertained and thought it was decent.  I wasn't bored and recognised a few of the easter eggs there but wasn't impressed per se. It did some things well , notably Han and Chewie meeting- that entire  section where it seemed like the russian front or soemthing was well done  and the train heist  but I thought the section on Kessel , which should have been a tense and exciting sequence was a bit of a damp squib.

And that fucking robot, what the fuck ?

Performaces by the  Han and chewie were good , Danerys was a bit shaky but seemed to improve as it went on and I'm not sure what the big deal over  Lando and Dryden was, both were okay IMO, not much more. 

So like a lot of people;bit of a curates egg this one, they're going to kill  this golden goose  if they keep churning out  pretty average movies in short order, this one felt really quite safe and if they keep everthing in this universe dependant on the same  4 or 5 characters it's going to get boring fast.

I thought it was excellent. Lots of fun, great action. It felt cool in a way Star Wars hasn't been for a while. A breath of fresh air after the turd that was TLJ.

• Upvote 1

I still haven't seen any marketing for it, or none that stuck with me at least. Anecdotally it seems everyone who isn't a committed star wars fan didn't know it was out until about a week into its release. 

Very bizarre way to promote a film (that probably should have come out closer to Christmas), and sure enough it flopped hard. Did Bethesda run the marketing for this?