rubberducker

SOLO: A Star Wars Story

No topic on this film i can find, so figured I'd start one as Variety are reporting they are down to the last 12 actors.

Can't say any of them fill me with much Han Solo. Jack Reynor does have a little bit of Harrison I suppose... but I'm open to the film as it seems in good hands...

http://variety.com/2016/film/news/star-wars-han-solo-spinoff-actors-1201675519/

‘Star Wars’ Han Solo Spinoff: Actor Shortlist Revealed (EXCLUSIVE)
han-solo-miles-teller-ansel-elgort-dave-
REX SHUTTERSTOCK
JANUARY 11, 2016 | 10:00AM PT
Justin Kroll Film Reporter@krolljvar

Disney and Lucasfilm are inching closer to finding their young Han Solo for the upcoming untitled “Star Wars” spinoff.

Sources tell Variety that after seeing thousands of actors, execs have cut the list down to about a dozen actors with Miles Teller, Ansel Elgort, Dave Franco, Jack Reynor, Scott Eastwood, Logan Lerman, “Brooklyn” star Emory Cohen and “Everybody Wants Some” actor Blake Jenner among the names making the cut.

NDAs and test deals are still being worked out, but producer Kathleen Kennedy and directors Phil Lord and Chris Miller will begin testing the new group with a decision expected in the next couple of weeks.

The film does not shoot until next January, but sources close to the situation say the reason for such an early decision has more to do with another “Star Wars” film currently shooting, rather than the untitled “Han Solo” pic. While insiders were unable to confirm, the new Solo could have a small cameo in “Rogue One: A Star Wars” before appearing in his own standalone pic.

“Rogue One” still has a month of shooting to go and is supposed to be set between “Episode III” and “Episode IV,” making this new Han Solo age appropriate for an appearance in the film. Disney and Marvel used the same strategy for their new Spider-Man by casting Tom Holland early in order for him to cameo in “Captain America: Civil War” before appearing in his own film.

With the exception of Eastwood, who’s 29, Disney and Lucasfilm seem to be zeroing in on actors between the ages of 20 to 25. The studios tested actors as young as 17 to as old as 34.

I think all of the episodes will be decent and maybe even a few of this first wave of spin offs will be OK. But by the time they're done they're going to have run Star Wars so far into the ground we're going to miss the George Lucas days.

• Upvote 7

They won't, because it will make a fuckload of money, but they should just leave this character well the fuck alone. I have zero interest in this, and I'm a die-hard star wars fan.

There is only one Han Solo.

Yup. I don't want a new actor, particularly one so close in age to when we first met him.

Just read the books. They're a bit typically early EU guff, but I enjoyed them and they're very in character, which is the main thing.

But Lawrence Kasadan and the two guys who wrote The Lego Movie are writing the script. I know a young han solo film is a dodgy concpet but you really don't get a better writing team than that.

• Upvote 3

James Franco is the older brother- think you mean Dave.

Does feel like a totally unnecessary film, but maybe they'll find a way to make it work. Thing about Han is that he's nowhere near a hero when we first meet him in Star Wars, so hopefully they can stick to that. A bit of mystery is good. Problem with the prequels is that they sucked all the mystery out of the series, answering questions that nobody was asking.

It would have been amazing. Especially if young Boba and young Han had had a fight, and Han had pushed him in a freezer and locked him in and Boba was all Just you wait, Solo...

Sadly the script doesn't mention that, just the wacky adventures of 10 year old Han and fucking Yoda of all people.

aeP2y.jpg

It's weird, I loved VII and I'm excited about Rogue One, but seeing those pictures I find myself all "YOU'RE NOT HAN SOLO YOU SMUG LITTLE TWAT". I feel like I might hate whoever they cast for not being Harrison Ford, which is silly. But fuvk those smug twats. They're not Han Solo.

Eastwood is too classically handsome to be young Solo and he's a boring son of a bitch too; totally wrong for the part.

Franco & Reynor are utterly, utterly wrong too; neither has an ounce of the charisma that young Ford had. They'd flounder in the role of Solo.

The Glee guy is from Glee. Fuck off.

That really only leaves Lerman, whose good and Elgort, whose also good but neither seem like a good fit. Maybe they're both cocky motherfuckers in real life and are perfect for Solo but I just don't see it.

If I had to guess it'll go to Elgort. He's pretty tall, if you squint you can see a passing resemblance to Ford (they both have hair?) and he's been in productions that have made the studios reliable $$$.

Though as someone pointed out on Twitter - 2weeks before Affleck was announced as Batman - having not been mentioned once in relation to the role - the shortlist was composed of Josh Brolin, Ryan Gosling & Joe Manganiello. So who knows?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Not sure someone doing a self-conscious impression of the original actor is a great idea. Very distracting.

I know what you mean based on that first video, but if he dialled it down a bit I still think he'd be a great choice.

I'm optimistic. They didn't let anyone down with The Force Awakens, so they've earned the right to expect us to at least reserve judgment until we've all seen the film. Literally the only thing that would set alarm bells ringing for me would be if they cast the Ingruber guy as Han Solo. But thankfully he appears to be nowehere near this, so hopes remain high for me.

But Lawrence Kasadan and the two guys who wrote The Lego Movie are writing the script. I know a young han solo film is a dodgy concpet but you really don't get a better writing team than that.

Kasdan has written his fair share of clunkers, you know, he's far from being some kind of scripting demigod.

All those dudes shown in the article look boring as hell, nothing about any of them appeals. I'd rather we just stay away from the Han, Lando, Luke and Leia pre OT entirely. Rogue One sounds great on its own terms as a side story, a film about young Han just doesn't do it for me in comparison. I don't do the animated series but I can't deny a film about that grizzled looking old clonetrooper who resisted his programming or whatever and just pootled off having adventures with his mates sounds much more fun that this.

• Upvote 1

I like spin-offs that are based around characters other than the main stars of the main films - either completely new characters, or ones that were incidental/background/bit parts in the original stories. It's why in the 90s my favourite EU novels were the "Tales..." anthologies (Tales from the Mos Eisley Cantina in particular) because they flesh out the universe, and I've just enjoyed Lost Stars for the same reason. Luke/Leia/Han/Chewie etc. can appear in the background of these stories and then the whole thing hangs together. Further adventures of the main people is much less appealing to me.

So I'm reserving judgement on this, but it's the one I'm expecting to enjoy the least.

• Upvote 1

I mean fuck, I'd rather watch 2 hours of experimental arthouse with IG-88 reciting poetry from the cultures of every species it's murdered than any of those bland looking dorky motherfuckers up there doing their best Harrison Ford impression.

Star Wars Anthologies: IG-88's Conceptual Art Party (Danger of Death)

• Upvote 9

Yes. They've got dozens of minor characters and scenarios they could make more interesting by providing a backstory, whereas with Han in particular it's an almost impossible task to come up with something which will live up to the legend.

I think with Star Wars going forward we are pretty fortunate that we have two boxes in which we can compartmentalize these new films...I expect the Rogue One will go into the Original Trilogy box along with The Force Awakens, while Young Han Solo could happily end up in the Prequels Trilogy box...its more of a bin tbh...

• Upvote 1

I can totally understand why people are against Ingruber because of the whole impersonation thing, and to be fair, I don't think his name has ever officially been linked to the part anyway, but if he was able to just play it straight I think he's a better option than any of the other actors up for the part. This is in part because he looks perfect, impression or no impression, but I also like the fact that he's an unknown.

How on earth could he have a part in Rogue One if it's set at the time immediately prior to Star Wars... it's about stealing the plans for the Death Star. I have a feeling this is aimed squarely at the teenage market.

• Upvote 2

I'm ok with this, providing Han Solo is played by Idris Elba, and I never have to watch it, even if it's on 5 US and I'm really bored.

They should make it like The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus and have Han Solo alternatively played by Idris Elba, Michael Fassbender, Chris Pratt and that rubbish bloke out of Firefly. It would the fantasy casters of Rllmuk's perfect film.

• Upvote 3

I think you're being a bit harsh calling them typical EU guff. They're the only books from the EU that I have read twice. I love Ann Crispin's trilogy, which is another reason I'm not interested in this, the tales in those books are wonderful - although, to which books are you referring? There were earlier ones (or maybe just one, it's been a while), and they were indeed shit. :)

Hey, I think I have all the EU novels, except the new canon. Don't need to sell it to me! I've read her Han Solo trilogy twice, too - it's the one where he starts off as a kid. However, I know how well the EU goes down here, and they are some of the earlier books where it wasn't as structured. Also, he ends up making friends with

a cat-like creature

which feels a bit horse jedi for this forum.