Bone Tomahawk (Kurt Russell)

DeFiBkIlLeR

(Forum search didn't bring anything up for this and its well worth a thread.)

Saw this the other week and....God damn.

Wasn't expecting to nearly puke watching a western..the way 'that' death scene comes out of nowhere and just leaves you horrified in a way I cant remember in a long, long time.

Good to have you back Kurt and even Matthew Fox gives a tremendous performance.

Stream it, buy it, rent it, see it any way you can, well worth it.

EDIT:

(yes, just realised spelt Tomahawk wrong). please change admin.

Echoed - watched today and thought it excellent

Undeniably the most brutal death scene I've ever seen. I loves me a bit of gore but that was tough to get through that one

Ps - you can change the thread title yourself just by editing your first post

I liked it, but much more the traditional Western stuff than the tonal/genre switch towards the end. Despite the gore (which is pretty sickening -

I got through the splitting in half of the deputy, but I had a hard time with the flask being forced into Russell's stomach

) I really felt it slowed down to a crawl for the last quarter. I'd have loved to see a more traditional Western story with that particular group of guys.

Sorry, I should have said "Is it out in any legal way in the UK?" Not that I'm all puritanical and goody-goody about these things. It's just that the first post suggests to me that it's legally available, and I couldn't find it so I got curious.

Thanks for the link though!

• 1 year later...

Watched this on Netflix UK earlier. To say it's violent is an understatement. Exceptionally well written and the last 30 minutes had boiling-point levels of tension. Russell's fucking ace as expected but the supporting cast are all excellent. Also a SID HAIG cameo!

Highly recommended, genre - bending stuff.

• 5 months later...

Yup. Thoroughly entertaining watch. Just one question -

Spoiler

What did the Troglodytes have in their throats, that bone pipe thing. I suspect they mutilated themselves/each other to somehow have that howl. Was it something they did internally to their own anatomy or was it taken from another human/beast cadaver and fused? 

• 4 months later...
6 hours ago, Monkeyboy said:

You should check out the director's second film as well... Brawl in Cell Block 99. He's quickly becoming a fave director of mine.

I checked that out on your recommendation in the other thread. Graphic action but

the noise. OH GOD THE NOISE

• 3 years later...

It is so slow at times though. Like Fellowship of the Ring walking forever slow.

The memorable bits are worth the wait, but I just wish there was less waiting needed.

• 1 month later...

Watched this on Prime last night, really enjoyed it :)

The “slow” bits were my favourite parts of the film, to be honest! Preferred the Western aspects to the horror stuff. I thought Chicory was a fantastic character, and Kurt Russell was great.

This was fucking brilliant, wasn't expecting to like it as much as I did! I watched 'that' scene a few years ago after repeatedly reading about it, not expecting to ever watch the film, but glad I did!

I actually found another scene more disturbing.

Spoiler

The barely moving pregnant, blinded, limbless women. Maybe they should have put them out of their misery. 

8 hours ago, IcEBuRN said:

If ya like this. Check out the directors newer film, Brawl in cell block 99. Vince Vaughn is ace in it!

I couldn’t stomach it. I mean it’s riveting stuff but found the violence just too much. Stopped about half way into it and haven’t gone back. 

I’ve watched all three and they are all engaging in their own way. Really offbeat style. I think my favourite is this though.

How gory/violent is this? I dont like gory or violent films, but I can handle a bit. Say in comparison to…. Possessor? Thats the only gory film I can think of that I have seen recently

It's interspersed with very brief acts of realistic violence but doesn't dwell on the gore.

It does contain one of the most astonishingly gory moments I've ever seen in a film, mind you. But it lasts about five seconds and it's used to incredible effect.