Harsin

Detroit: Become Human (someone gave David Cage money again)

I'm glad he's going full-on Sci-Fi for this. It means he can go all out insane on the story and I won't feel let down that it didn't strike a serious tone. I had the same feeling with the Yakuza series - once you realise it's a comedy it makes sense just to go along for the ride.

He's brilliantly mental, I have to admit.

I'd be interested to see him interviewed in a 'proper' way, in regards to his opinions with the failings of his previous games. He's almost a French version of Molyneux in a way.

There is nothing (that) wrong with enjoying Cage games - I've enjoyed less than stellar (and some shitty) games/movies/tv shows that I know kinda suck. They're guilty pleasures. But you run into an issue when trying to argue their merit as actual quality when entirely narrative based games have poor writing. It's like if the next Street Fighter game out and there were some interesting ideas and novelty concepts but the fundamental point of the game (the fighting mechanics) were flawed. Actually this is exactly what happened with Super Smash Bros Brawl where it had some really cool extras but the engine and fighting mechanics got fucked which is why the game was shunned and forgotten by most.

I'm into narrative heavy games, I've got tonnes on my PC alone, but saying "well at least it isn't COD or AC!" (as if narrative based games are a dead/empty genre and only Cage is serving them up) doesn't detract from the fact that they're scripted games with shitty scripts.

My reference to AC or CoD was made in order to say that I enjoy videogames who try something different, as opposed to the same old things every year. I would gladly pay for a Cage game every two or three years that tries to talk about something or approach me as a player from a different gameplay view, than spend money every year on the same recycled games.

I never said or assumed that narrative based games are dead or anything. Cage's games are not even that high in my narrative based games list. I also said that I don't think he is a good writer or director, but I enjoy his failures much more than the narrative "successes" of many other games.

We've never lived in a richer time for narrative games in my opinion, at one point Fahrenheit might have been the only game in town, but now there's a lot more choice and most of it a hell of a lot better written that David Cage's inane ramblings. I must admit I enjoy them just from a comedy perspective though, like watching Troll 2.

• Upvote 5

Actually doesn't look bad apart from the mouths being really weird when they open too wide.

I'm intrigued that this again bigs up the different options but it being David Cage will probably only ever 'work' if you just play it once, or else you'll see how much of an illusion of choice it all is, rather than a really branching storyline. I'll still probably get it though, as I do like the style of game, even if they're never anywhere near as they would be if they didn't have such a lunatic behind them like David Cage.

Love that trailer, such potentials.   But.. I'll never forget the promise that the Fahrenheit demo displayed.. Then the rest of the game was pants, the options mattered little.

Unless this is a set on mini stories you at over and over, unlocking new cases / stories for particular outcomes.  That could be cool.  

The Super Best Friends have just started a play through of Omikron.

It's already reached peak Cage within the first hour. You meet your wife, who in true Cage fashion is a short haired girl wandering around in white skimpies, and straight away get the option to sex her up. Except the conceit of the game is that you're actually playing yourself and you've been sucked into the game world and taken over the body of this guy. You know that's actually rape, yeah Dave?

• Upvote 2

That was the demo I played at EGX. It was fine but all David Cage games demo well (remember how awesome Fahrenheit seemed). It's putting all the scenes together into a cohesive narrative is where it all falls apart. 

• Upvote 3

Spoiler

Once again with Monsieur Cage, tries to be a movie director and fails. Imagine this gameplay demo as a scene in a movie, where there is a time critical, life-or-death situation happening with a malfunctioning android standing on the edge of a building with a young girl hostage threatening to jump and the main character is casually strolling around the flat putting fish back into tanks, turning off the stove and somehow slowly recreating holographic crime scenes like Batman in the Arkham games. As I was playing the demo, all I could think about was how ridiculous the whole set-up is.

Unless I missed it, why do two parents need a fully grown mandroid? I did see a video on a tablet where the young girl is hugging him and calling him her best friend or something. Weird.

Looks stunning though.

Ten out of Ten.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

9 hours ago, AI1 said:
Spoiler

Once again with Monsieur Cage, tries to be a movie director and fails. Imagine this gameplay demo as a scene in a movie, where there is a time critical, life-or-death situation happening with a malfunctioning android standing on the edge of a building with a young girl hostage threatening to jump and the main character is casually strolling around the flat putting fish back into tanks, turning off the stove and somehow slowly recreating holographic crime scenes like Batman in the Arkham games. As I was playing the demo, all I could think about was how ridiculous the whole set-up is.

Unless I missed it, why do two parents need a fully grown mandroid? I did see a video on a tablet where the young girl is hugging him and calling him her best friend or something. Weird.

Looks stunning though.

Ten out of Ten.

Please, tell us more.

It was alright, I thought.

13 hours ago, AI1 said:
  Hide contents

Having a nanny isn't really a sci fi concept.

Spoiler

But then he was going on about being replaced? Why would the parents do that if their kid has bonded with this android? 

And I personally would have picked an android that looks like Mary Poppins out of the catalogue to be honest if I needed a nanny. Or maybe pay an actual human £10 an hour rather than buy an expensive android.  Call me old fashioned.

21 minutes ago, AI1 said:
  Hide contents

But then he was going on about being replaced? Why would the parents do that if their kid has bonded with this android? 

And I personally would have picked an android that looks like Mary Poppins out of the catalogue to be honest if I needed a nanny. Or maybe pay an actual human £10 an hour rather than buy an expensive android.  Call me old fashioned.

Perhaps in the future mankind has moved past antiquitated gender roles for children carers.

I suspect inflation would mean that £10 an hour is slightly unrealstic and a robot may well even be cheaper (and much more reliable, up until that point).

Also, there wouldn’t be a game.

• Upvote 1

On 25/04/2018 at 11:49, deerokus said:

The player character has a terrible voice. 

He doesn’t sound very human.

14 minutes ago, Strafe said:

He doesn’t sound very human.

Well, he's on the way to...

becoming ...

I'm here everyday folks.

Demo was nice. I like the new detective mechanics, give it more depth and made the gameplay tense and rich with possibilities. I was actually amazed looking at how many different paths there are at the flow chart in the end. Heavy Rain was an important game on many levels and this feels like its following an ever more focused path. Fingers crossed. 

I really enjoyed the demo too, but as said above, Cage games always seem to demo well. Still, I will pick this up and play it at some point with tempered expectations.

Demo was alright. Reminded me a bit of the old Blade Runner game or a sci-fi Until Dawn.

Cage really is sticking to his guns in the gameplay department though. Not seen those directional infographics since I played Heavy Rain years ago.