And

The all new Wine thread

I guess the other secret might be to know what to lay down? My understanding is that it's not universally of benefit, but I could be mistaken.

We are getting some surprise wine today, surprise as I forgot to cancel the Laithwaites Spanish red sub...

In preparation we have been drinking some of the last lot of surprise wine we got over the past few nights :facepalm:

I'd also recommend the Wine Society as a good place to order wine. £40 for a life time subscription (and often they'll give you £20 of credit for your first order) and it is owned by the Members so they don't aim to make a sizable profit. No dividends, all profit is reinvested in the business. Generally very competitive when it comes to prices and some really good wines you won't find in other places.

For people without cellars, they also have a fairly cheap service where you can store your purchased wines with them until they are ready to be drunk.

Nope. Just £40 one off and you are given a share certificate and lifetime Membership. You can also be gifted the Membership from a deceased parent for example so one certificate can carry on through a family.

http://www.thewinesociety.com/joining-the-society

At the moment they'll also give you £20 towards your first order so really only £20 for lifetime membership.

I'm surprised Cimarosa range in Lidl haven't be brought up. Usual a safe dependable bet of various wines that are £4 give or take a few pennies.

Not spectacular, but really tasty and a safe bet. Good for filling up the booze cupboard when they do a buy six get a bit extra off. Which they usually do approaching Christmas.

I tend to like my reds in the harsher ranges of merlots and the like. Useful for having a cheap taste. I can live if the wine makes my lips go dark purple.

White wines, I'm more particular. They can taste cheaper far easier. The Cimarosa stuff is always good though.

On another note, it's hard to pick a good wine for something like a roast. Try German. German wines like Riesling tends to on the cheaper side and I find the only wine that goes with that sort of thing.

Okay, I really don't know where else to put this, but I feel like singing from the rafters.

Altos Ibericos Crianza 2012.

Amazingly delicious.

I just googled it and there are a bunch of US sites describing it as some sort of 'entry level' wine. Really, the only wine I have had in the last five years that is as delicious as this was 200 quid a bottle. I realise that wine, of all drinks, is horses for courses, but please, please, please, try to get hold of a bottle of this and drink it. I really, really hope that you find it as delicious as I do. My favourite wine in about five years (joint number one with that 200 quid a bottle stuff...)

I live in Japan and bought it from Enoteca - but a quick google suggested that it is pretty easy to get hold of.

Honestly, as far as I am concerned it is such an amazing taste - very spanish, very distinct.

If you happen to get hold of a bottle I would love to know what you think of it.

EDIT: And yes, that Ocado bottle looks like it is just the ticket!

I had a bottle of that with the shopping recently. It was pretty nice but, at the risk of sounding like a massive bellend, it was a bit tannin-heavy for me.

Got some of this ready for my Christmas rib of beef. Looking forward to it!

5akat4j.jpg

Majestic has a lot of stuff at 33% off. Good deals if you can buy six bottles or more. Laurent Perrier at £25 and Veuve Cliquot at £30.

Also Mud House Sauvignon Blanc £6.66. Fantastic Price. I am mainly a red wine man but I could drink that all summer.

I've bought far too much wine recently. I think I have more than enough for the next two years and then some more. I'm reorganising the cellar so will post a photo when done. 

But it I came here to post that Majestic have a great offer on 2006 vintage Moët at the moment. £29.99 if you order six. That's non-vintage price for what is rated as a decent vintage. It'll drink now and if stored well for the next 15 years:

https://m.majestic.co.uk/Moet-Chandon-Grand-Vintage-zid22127x6?utm_source=may2016&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=20160503_MV_MW_NRP

Nice!

Over the past few months I've drunk all but about 15 bottles of what I had amassed as we're moving but also going to France in a few weeks so I need room for the inevitable stocking up. 

I'll not read through all of this thread again so forgive any repeats.

There's been a Majestic's at the end of the my road since i moved house.  I'd never been into a majestic before.  not for any reason other maybe subliminal snobbery. (and maybe the requirement to buy 6 bottles at a time)

I went in there the other day and was blown away.  Massive selection of wine, seemingly knowledgable staff who insist on you tasting the wines they have on display.  on the whole a great experience.

I don't know if this is the norm and i'm just a philistine but such a great place to go, especially if you're a noob

• Upvote 2

And I think the requirement to buy six bottles has now gone too.  If you get their special offers they are pretty good on prices really. 

I've been doing some product testing, and I've just been sent a Coravin One which I wasn't expecting but is presumably for me to compare it to a beta model of theirs I've had the last few weeks (thought I was going to be testing a couple of prototypes against each other). The one I've just returned was evidently a new far lower end model they've been looking at making and it was OK but flawed, however now I've got this thing:

I'm looking forward to giving it a go, it's like some sort of medieval torture device and a far cry from the one I tested just prior, which wasn't great in all honesty but hopefully they'll take any feedback on board. Anyone ever tried one of these? Given the insane price of even this current bottom of the range model (best part of two hundred quid :o) I'd be surprised if even @The Hierophant has but you never know.

These things are certainly interesting, but I guess you really, really have to be into your wine as to make the most of it you're going to want to have a lot of good stuff on the go at once. Then there's the eye watering price, both initially and to keep it going with gas canisters (about £7 each that should last for fifteen pours as it says, so around three bottles) and the fact that if I ever open a bottle of wine it's rarely going to be around long enough for oxidation to become much of an issue makes it all seem a bit in a different world to me.

Anyway, by happy accident I'm working from home next week and I'm physically unable to drive at the moment so ideal conditions really. What could possibly go wrong!?

Yeah. We don’t have one. I used to frequent a wine bar, now sadly closed, that used one. The girl who ran it is a master of wine and knows her stuff so I assume endorsed it. I'll ask her when I go to her new place, which is long overdue actually. 

I have ate the same issue as you: wine isn’t open long enough for it to be an issue. :lol:  

We use a vacuvin when we have any wine left and that seems to work just fine to be honest. If we were a bit more abstemious then maybe I’d look at getting one. 

I recall a prog on BBC few years back about the science of food and drink, was a 1 off, had Michael Roux on as the expert I believe. 

They did a blind test where the scientist let one bottle of wine breath in a decanter 'properly' and whizzed an identical one up in a food processor for a few seconds - blind taste test Roux preferred the one that had been thru the food processor but said he'd never be doing it in a restaurant as thought it was sacrilege.