Steam controller...

MattyP

For a 360 pad with RE4 use (I think) control type 3. Controls more like a modern shooter.

Hang on, there are other control types!? I only had a quick look to check button mappings then jumped into the game. This could be a (resident evil) revelation!

I hope they get Dos games working with the controller soon, I really want to see if it is possible to play Tie fighter, can you imagine?!

I can, and I'm imagining that it'd be... awful?

Could be ideal for early first person titles like System Shock, Ultima Underworld, Dungeon Master et al. though.

No idea, only tried it with the 360 pad rather than with mouse and keyboard but if it does work that way that'd be even easier then by the sound of it. So I'd be translating the m&k controls rather than the joypad setup in that case (I did spot there was one or the other to pick from in the options)?

This is where things are a bit messy at the moment. Where games support a controller, the ideal would be using as much of the controller mapping as possible to keep analogue movement and button prompts which match the controller, but replace the right stick with mouse control mapped to the touchpad. This is one of the default settings when you pick profiles ("Gamepad with high precision aiming" I think it's called).

At the moment, that doesn't work very well with a lot of games because they want you to use one or the other, and when you start aiming they freak out in different ways, like the framerate dropping to single digits in Lost Planet 3 when you start aiming.

So for those games you have to decide whether you make the right pad mimic an analogue stick, which works absolutely terribly, or you fully map the keyboard and mouse controls to the controller. The latter is by far the better option, but you lose buttons prompts matching the controller and being able to map analogue movement to the stick. That's not such a big deal in most things I've tried, you can make it so a modifier is applied when you push the stick all the way, so if there's a run toggle you can have that active when you fully tilt the stick. If there's a walk button, you can invert it so it's on until you fully tilt.

Hopefully developers will either start making native Steam controller mappings or at the very least allowing mouse input at the same time as controller input. Even without that, I'm finding that for anything involving aiming you can make a setup which works far better than dual analogues.

At the moment there doesn't seem to be an easy way to copy your personal controller configuration from one game to another. I've found a way of digging into the depths of the Steam file system to find the associated vfd file which you can then manually copy over to another game's folder, but you have to look up the game's specific Steam app number from its community URL.

Hopefully an update will make this easier.

I've created a profile for Resi Rev 2 that mimics the layout of the standard joypad controls but uses M&K instead, it works lovely. It's called 6DB Resi Rev 2. I think I might have created a similar public profile for Resi Rev 1.

I'm gonna create one for Resi 4 later and see what is possible.

It's been a week now and the batteries are still going.

Edit: Top tip for when the gyro seems to behave weird/off centre, place controller on level surface and leave for several second seems to reset it.

I've created a profile for Resi Rev 2 that mimics the layout of the standard joypad controls but uses M&K instead, it works lovely. It's called 6DB Resi Rev 2. I think I might have created a similar public profile for Resi Rev 1.

I'm gonna create one for Resi 4 later and see what is possible.

It's been a week now and the batteries are still going.

Edit: Top tip for when the gyro seems to behave weird/off centre, place controller on level surface and leave for several second seems to reset it.

I think I actually started with your one. I've tweaked it a little bit to use gyro and a few others things though. I should probably make it public, I think it's pretty good.

Got round to playing some Resi 4 today, still an awesome game. Made a mouse and keyboard profile for it which I think is now complete, it's not until you have played a game for a bit that you are sure everything is included in your profile. I made a silly video to demonstrate situations that might pop up when playing a game using a M&K profile, button prompts can be confusing...

The profile is called - 6DB Resi 4, I've updated it, inventory management, menu navigation and hopefully button prompts are all taken into account.

Got round to playing some Resi 4 today, still an awesome game. Made a mouse and keyboard profile for it which I think is now complete, it's not until you have played a game for a bit that you are sure everything is included in your profile. I made a silly video to demonstrate situations that might pop up when playing a game using a M&K profile, button prompts can be confusing...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ZNn3FJhneA

The profile is called - 6DB Resi 4, I've updated it, inventory management, menu navigation and hopefully button prompts are all taken into account.

I tried your setup last night and its really good.

Also your video is really well put together.

For those games that play better using a gamepad profile instead of M&K, You can now treat the right touchpad as a mouse using the 'Mouse joystick' option(scroll down when selecting), it works really well. I just gave it a go on Ghostbusters which has the worse M&K controls ever, impossible to turn off mouse acceleration so playing with a controller is the best option, using 'joystick camera' on the right touchpad felt awful but 'mouse joystick' with some tinkering works wonders.

I've just spent a couple of hours playing Fear 2, created a profile for advanced users :eyebrows: I decided to try movement on the left touchpad instead of the analog stick, it took a while to get used to it, I have edge binding for sprint and click for crouch. The right touchpad has edge binding, I find it gives a nice smooth sweep of the camera for taking in your surroundings during those quiet moments, click is for melee and double tap is for Use. I was capping fools left and right, it kinda felt a bit too easy, don't think this game is as hard as Fear 1 though. Give it a go if you have the game on Steam, it's called 6DB Brap'n'cap.

I love this damn controller, I haven't stopped using it the day I got it, the batteries it came with lasted two weeks.

Titan quest, Stalker, Half life 2, Aliens vs Predator, Alien swarm, Singularity, Fear 1+2, Dark messiah M&M, Jedi knight: Academy and more all working lovely with the controller on the sofa. I want to try Kerbal space program but I hear the devs are working on a special profile for the game so I'll wait for that.

How is everyone else getting on with the controller?

Mine arrived yesterday but only had a chance to try a few games out with it. MGSV was excellent, there is an official Konami config and the sensitivity for 3rd person camera and aiming down the sights seems spot on. Also tried Verminitide which had various custom profiles but couldn't find one with a sensitivity I was comfortable with. I had a go at making my own and it was so simple, and being able to map to whatever you like to the rear paddles is a godsend.

What is the process for non-Steam games? I was really hoping to get a nice setup for the Witcher 3. A quick bit of research suggests CDPR have released a config, but i'm not sure how to apply this unless i'm playing the game through Steam, which i'm not.

What is the process for non-Steam games? I was really hoping to get a nice setup for the Witcher 3. A quick bit of research suggests CDPR have released a config, but i'm not sure how to apply this unless i'm playing the game through Steam, which i'm not.

You will have to add Non-Steam Witcher 3 to Steam and then create a profile for it, you can only use community/official profiles if you have the Steam version I believe.

You will have to add Non-Steam Witcher 3 to Steam and then create a profile for it, you can only use community/official profiles if you have the Steam version I believe.

Not sure why I didn't think of that :facepalm: Thanks :)

Hopefully if doing that creates a directory for Witcher 3, I can then import the CDPR file in, I will investigate!

How is everyone else getting on with the controller?

I would like to give full and complete feedback on how it works with a range of games but some bastard created a Resident Evil 4 profile and I appear to be spending my game time replaying that, despite having a very large pile of shame.

I'm using it on Fallout4 and briefly tried things like Portal 2 and it really does work well, even using the favoured unofficial config. There are some mapping issues but I think that's because of it being unofficial so the game won't let me see any keyboard shortcuts as it thinks a gamepad is plugged in. That sort of thing is probably the only thing that makes it a bit more annoying than it should be but otherwise it's a very, very good controller.

It does feel a bit plastic-y but I'd rather that and it be the price it was than in the realms of that Xbone elite controller.

Why even bother posting that VN1X?

Because I'm salty (and it's a useless product).

I can't wait for Valve to shut me up by showing an amazing new game running on Source 2 with physics powered by Rubikon. Until then you'll have to make due with this VN1X persona.

He was posting the same shit in the steam thread and he actually followed everyone to here to do the same thing. Well done m8 - can't wait to see you in other threads about all the things that don't interest you.

Uzi stop being creepy. Do you keep records of my past activity or something?