Steam controller...

MattyP

Mine too, I suspect those are the arrival points within Europe and that we are allocated a tracking ID for their on pass from those locations. no shipment available suggests the goods are still not physically at those locations, or are being held back.

I still would not expect them much before Valves proposed date of the 16th.

• 2 weeks later...

Since when are there loose controllers in shops to fondle, other than demo pods?

So for other machines there are controllers to try out(on demo pods) and certainly when they are new.

When Vita released GAME had staff wandering round with demo units for people to try. Wii had demo pods for the controllers etc as i recall, altho not sure WiiU did.

So the question is will they have equivalent demos for this controller which is obviously a step change.

I certainly wouldn't buy one unless i got to hold it first, similarly when I buy consoles with unfamiliar controllers I also want a hands on demo first...

So for other machines there are controllers to try out(on demo pods) and certainly when they are new.

When Vita released GAME had staff wandering round with demo units for people to try. Wii had demo pods for the controllers etc as i recall, altho not sure WiiU did.

So the question is will they have equivalent demos for this controller which is obviously a step change.

I certainly wouldn't buy one unless i got to hold it first, similarly when I buy consoles with unfamiliar controllers I also want a hands on demo first...

They won't, because it's too odd. Five minutes with it will have people reacting more than they did with the prototype Xbone controllers (if you remember they're rubbish compared to the perfect DS4).

The touchpads have to be used for a while before any of it makes sense.

I've been impressed with the controller when playing games with mouse driven aiming (Portal, HL etc.) but less so when it's trying to emulate an analogue stick. I tried Resi Revelations from the latest humble bundle which was basically unplayable in joypad mode. Switching to a user created m&k profile was a bit better but still felt clunkier than just using a 360 pad.

The joypad + high precision aim preset will probably be the best bet for games like that but, currently, many don't support pad and k&m simultaneously.

It's early days and I'm sure these issues will be resolved but I won't be retiring my 360 pad anytime soon. Max Damage's excellent Call of Pripyat profile shows what you can do with a bit of effort.

I've been impressed with the controller when playing games with mouse driven aiming (Portal, HL etc.) but less so when it's trying to emulate an analogue stick. I tried Resi Revelations from the latest humble bundle which was basically unplayable in joypad mode. Switching to a user created m&k profile was a bit better but still felt clunkier than just using a 360 pad.

The joypad + high precision aim preset will probably be the best bet for games like that but, currently, many don't support pad and k&m simultaneously.

It's early days and I'm sure these issues will be resolved but I won't be retiring my 360 pad anytime soon. Max Damage's excellent Call of Pripyat profile shows what you can do with a bit of effort.

Try using the gyro as mouse aiming activated when you're touching the right pad. It works really well in RE Revelations.

Right, so I had a quick go of RE4 last night and the first thing that struck me is I'd forgotten how shit the controls were. Not as bad as RE games prior, but still pretty crap. Then it got me thinking, while you can't change the game itself could I do something like this, changing the behaviour of "hold RT to draw weapon, use L stick to aim and X to shoot" to:

Hold RT to draw gun

Move aim control to one of the touchpads + gyro

Shoot gun with full RT click

Then return to standard control when not holding RT. Is stuff like that possible? Might end up being a bit clunky or at least need some tweaking 'til it feels right but in my head it sounds like it could be a pretty good setup if it's doable.

I don't think you'd need to even do all of that, surely movement and aiming are completely separated in the PC version since it uses the mouse to aim? Movement will be WASD on the left stick, mouse aim on the touch pad. Either use the left trigger to aim and the right to shoot, or have a soft pull on the right trigger to aim and the click to shoot.

No idea, only tried it with the 360 pad rather than with mouse and keyboard but if it does work that way that'd be even easier then by the sound of it. So I'd be translating the m&k controls rather than the joypad setup in that case (I did spot there was one or the other to pick from in the options)?