MW_Jimmy

Nioh - Feudal Souls

I still don't know what Onmyo is or what it does btw. Does it have anything do with skills or "Jutsu's"? Speaking of which I don't think I've even learned a single skill yet, let alone throw a Shuriken (outside of the tutorial that is), in my seven hours of playtime! 

Sorry bit of a question spree but: Are combos a thing in this game? Are they necessary in order to finish it? 

Also I feel like I picked the wrong starting weapon(s). I'm currently rocking an axe/hammer & double sword build but I've read that going for an heavy axe duder for your first playthrough makes the game just more difficult. Should I just ditch the axe and go for a double sword + spear (or double sword + kusarigama) setup? Maybe respec all my stats when I get the chance as well? 

7 hours ago, VN1X said:

Sorry bit of a question spree but: Are combos a thing in this game? Are they necessary in order to finish it? 

Also I feel like I picked the wrong starting weapon(s). I'm currently rocking an axe/hammer & double sword build but I've read that going for an heavy axe duder for your first playthrough makes the game just more difficult. Should I just ditch the axe and go for a double sword + spear (or double sword + kusarigama) setup? Maybe respec all my stats when I get the chance as well? 

I played with spear and kusarigama. I think the spear is a good starter weapon - easy to use and with good range - but after a couple of levels I switched to kusarigama permanently. Apart from anything else the chain move you can unlock early on that lets you grab and reel in enemies remains useful throughout the game. Hardly any enemies, even bosses, can do anything about it.

As for jutsu and skills, there are specific points where you unlock the ability to use them. As you meet different characters in the story, you'll have access to training sessions with them and learn new stuff.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, VN1X said:

I still don't know what Onmyo is or what it does btw. Does it have anything do with skills or "Jutsu's"? Speaking of which I don't think I've even learned a single skill yet, let alone throw a Shuriken (outside of the tutorial that is), in my seven hours of playtime! 

When you level up depending on what you level you also get skill points for your weapons, ninjitsu and onmyo

You will see this in the lower left of your screen.

There’s a sword with a number, a shuriken with a number and a scroll with a number. This is what you have to spend on weapon skills, ninjitsu and onmyo

Onmyo is magic. For example you can get magic that ups your attack power, which you would cast on yourself. Some magics you cast on enemies.

From what I remember Jutsu is the name for assigning your magic and ninjitsu. Each ninjitsu and onmyo skill has a jutsu ‘cost’ depending on your level you can assign skills you have to your d-pad.

• Upvote 1

I am so lost when it comes to selling stuff. Right now I'm just selling all the lower rarity/levelled gear? 

I guess I might also just sell loads of weapon types I'll never use?

I took a screenshot of some icons I didn't understand. Someone care to give me the lowdown? :)

YNWq7jG.png

EDIT: Scrap "d" lol. Didn't spot the backslash symbol. 

Can you knock Revenants off cliffs?

Why do Revenants spawn automatically sometimes?

Why does it sometimes send items to storage upon pickup? EDIT: I guess when it's ammo it does that? 

41 minutes ago, VN1X said:

I took a screenshot of some icons I didn't understand. Someone care to give me the lowdown? :)

YNWq7jG.png

EDIT: Scrap "d" lol. Didn't spot the backslash symbol. 

I'm doing this off memory, so hopefully I'm generally right.

A: What facilities are available in the level. Maybe. B: Difficulty. C: Is there a Kodomo Hotspring in the level? That's what this lets you know. D: You figured this out, I think. It'd save me admitting I don't know, so that's good.. E: Money and... uh, materials? for the smith or something? 

• Upvote 1

Just to add some more info on icon A - the green shrine means there are, I'm, shrines in the level. Some levels are basically just a big fight which you do from beginning to end. Others are more like stages you progress through with shrines. 

The torii gate means it's available "online" - you can summon for help if you need to. Most regular stages you can summon, but some side missions with big fights or boss fights, you can't. 

I have no idea what icon E is. 

To be honest, even more so than with Dark Souls, there is a lot of stuff in Nioh I either was ignorant of or just never even considered. As mentioned before, the blacksmith was one such thing. I got midway through NG+ too. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, VN1X said:

I don't 'get' Lightning Dog.

Would you like to know how to cheese that fight? 

You'll notice in the arena there's a small hut with criss-cross wooden panels on all 4 sides. Kite the boss into doing his lightning from the sky move so it hits the hut. That'll blow the panels off. You can now stand inside what's left of the hut. The boss is too big to fit so cannot melee you, and the lightning from above will hit the roof. Therefore you only need to worry about the lightning from his mouth move, which you can block without taking too much damage. So once you're under cover, wait for him to roll/attack himself into a knackered state, run out, twat him a few times (in the stomach, not head), and then get back to cover. You can also poke from cover if you're using the Spear.

;) 

• Upvote 3

9 hours ago, VN1X said:

Is there any way to get health back out in the field other than Elixers (and full health items)?

When the level has a hot spring to can bathe in it and get your health back

9 hours ago, VN1X said:

I am so lost when it comes to selling stuff. Right now I'm just selling all the lower rarity/levelled gear? 

I guess I might also just sell loads of weapon types I'll never use?

Yes, just sell it. It’s a loot fest game, of which 99% you don’t need

9 hours ago, VN1X said:

Can you knock Revenants off cliffs?

Why do Revenants spawn automatically sometimes?

Why does it sometimes send items to storage upon pickup? EDIT: I guess when it's ammo it does that? 

Not sure about that one. Likely not as ultimately you’re wanting to kill the revenant to get their gear.

There are enemies (Yokai playing the guitar instrument) that are basically making revenants active. If you get close to a revenant and it starts to smoke that Yokai is somewhere nearby 

5 hours ago, VN1X said:

I don't 'get' Lightning Dog.

What bit do you not ‘get’? 

• Upvote 1

Thanks so much for the answers and help guys, really appreciate it! :)

@Goemon  I wrote that when I was very frustrated after having died numerous times at the hands of that fucker. Nue's not actually that bad but the only thing that seems to get me is when he does his swipe attack. I can pretty much dodge all other attacks with ease and they're, for the most part, heavily telegraphed but it's just his fucking claw swipes that screw me over. 

I did have a hearty laugh after my first encounter with Nue as I ran up to him (her?) and instantly died by two lightning strikes. Love how these games mess you up if you're not patient. :D

• Upvote 1

One thing I love about Nioh is how death, while inconvenient, doesn't have as big of an impact compared to the Soulsborne games. Thanks to the lenient checkpoints and smallish maps you're quickly able to get back to where you were. It's a lot less stressful and tense as a result but as a Souls noob I don't have much issue with that. 

FUCKING LOL, I joined a sub-mission which is a boss fight against Tachibana Muneshige and I'm basically dead in two hits. That wouldn't be so bad if it weren't for the fact that I'm sitting on 120k Amrita with no way to leave the mission. :lol:

This also means the mission level indication ratings mean fuck all as I'm severely underlevelled for this guy, even though on paper I shouldn't be. Kind of a shame I had to end a session of the game like this... 

12 minutes ago, VN1X said:

That wouldn't be so bad if it weren't for the fact that I'm sitting on 120k Amrita with no way to leave the mission. 

Use a Himorogi Branch, no?

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, petrolgirls said:

Use a Himorogi Branch, no?

Pretty sure I don't have one of those. 

EDIT: Oh lord have mercy I do have one, ten even! Super odd though as I checked by rarity earlier and thought those branches would be more rare than a Himorogi Fragment, an item which doesn't allow you to keep your Amrita. :huh:

Thanks a bunch though. Now I can rest easy knowing my Amrita is safe and sound! 

Pretty much the last thing I did in this game was an optional battle at the end where you fight that guy and another of the boss guys together in that same area. I must've died 30 odd times and it was only sheer stubborness that kept me trying. Got there in the end, but not something I'd want to repeat.

Another item you can get, which is more rare, is something called “Summoners Candle” which will call you guardian spirit back to you with all your Amrita.

6 hours ago, VN1X said:

FUCKING LOL, I joined a sub-mission which is a boss fight against Tachibana Muneshige and I'm basically dead in two hits. That wouldn't be so bad if it weren't for the fact that I'm sitting on 120k Amrita with no way to leave the mission. :lol:

This also means the mission level indication ratings mean fuck all as I'm severely underlevelled for this guy, even though on paper I shouldn't be. Kind of a shame I had to end a session of the game like this... 

You may still be able to take him with some practice. I spent an age on this guy as I loved the fight and wanted to beat him without healing. I don’t remember my level but he could kill me pretty swiftly.

Heres my video of the fight, it’s no where near the skill level you can get in this game but it’s probably a good indicator for you

• Upvote 1

Reached the second region.

Fuck those caves.

Got Centipede on 2nd try (with little to no clue as to what the 'proper' tactic would be. I just used my Guardian Spirit three times and that was that).

FightinCowboy is a great streamer/Youtuber and plays all Souls-like games. He's uploaded a full playthrough (maybe two), and is an all-round chilled kinda guy.

If you want to see the highest level of play I recommend Miduki. He (she?) is absolutely brilliant and still blows my mind no matter how many times I watch those videos. There will be boss spoilers if you're bothered about that sort of thing, so click carefully.

• Upvote 1

Miduki is an amazing player of these types of action games.

I remember messaging him/her to ask them to play this game as they didn’t have any Nioh videos on the channel when I was playing it.

Another great player is XLHGladiator

mild spoilers of characters, weapons and normal enemies...

• Upvote 1