MW_Jimmy

Nioh - Feudal Souls

Actual impressions of the game start here:

Let's kick this topic off! 10 years in the making:

Looks a lot like a cross between Onimusha, Dark Souls and Ninja Gaiden. Team Ninja are developing, so hopefully it will have some of that old NG1/2 magic and not NG3.

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 1

Surprised that there doesn't seem to be a lot of interest here after the TGS reveal. It was one of the more interesting titles revealed at the Sony presser imho - something new, different and even exclusive. I mean, 'Samurai Souls' sounds like a great concept.

A bit more info thanks to siliconera

• Ni-Oh was originally developed as a launch title for the PlayStation 3
  • The focus was to push the action elements instead of focusing on the RPG parts.
  • Koei Tecmo continued working on the game behind the scenes, even while hearing people say “you guys just announced it haven’t even made anything, right?”
  • The game runs at 60fps.
  • It was decided to make it into a console exclusive title as Koei Tecmo wish to be able to use the PlayStation 4’s quality to show the world more of Japan’s yokai culture.
  • There will be giant yokai boss fights.
  • Koei Tecmo are currently thinking of some kind of opportunity that will allow players to directly try out Ni-Oh before it releases.
  • Famitsu magazine has a corner where fans can voice out their most anticipated games. Thanks to Ni-Oh being on it for the past 10 years, it gave Koei Tecmo the drive to continue developing the game without stopping.

Biggest takeaway is 'runs at 60 fps'. Hopefully the game will make it over to the west but there's a very real possibility that they'll decide that historically accurate (monsters and all) 15th century Japan is even more confusing for us than 80's Japan.

• Upvote 1

Look like one to watch for sure. It kinda has that awesome Japan shonkiness you used to get on ps2, games like Tenchu, Way of the Samurai, etc..

This though:

It was decided to make it into a console exclusive title as Koei Tecmo wish to be able to use the PlayStation 4s quality to show the world more of Japans yokai culture.

Such nonsense. :lol:

I have misspoken, the best way to describe this game is not 'Samurai Souls' but of course 'Samurai's Souls' - keeping it authentic.

And yeah that interview is mostly nonsense :lol: The only relevant bits are 60 FPS, exclusive and in development since forever.

Looks a lot like a cross between Onimusha, Dark Souls and Ninja Gaiden.

Great call, that describes what they've shown perfectly. Seems a bit 'heavier' than Ninja Gaiden which may be no bad thing. This is all about the combat systems and how it copes with multiple adversaries. If they can make it punishing but only when the player is at fault it could be great. I'm so up for a solid 15-20 hour adventure with increasing difficulty levels.

Sean is just trying to get a ryse out of dood, I'm fairly sure he hasn't played it either.

No, I haven't played it. It *looks* like Ryse though: Running around, hitting people with pointy things.

Yep, Ryse invented that kind of gameplay.

gameplay? Who mentioned gameplay? Like I said, I haven't played this.

Neither. Have. you.

(I've played Ryse though, obv.)

Can't think of any other game that had involved hitting things with pointy things before Ryse. Nope.

I said it *looks* like Ryse. Current gen visuals, blood-splatters, that sort of thing.

I can't think of any current-gen stabby-stabby games that look as good as Ryse, so that's my benchmark.

You guys...

• Downvote 8

This TGS seems to be some incredible tolling ny Japanese devs, we're not getting half of these games over here are we? :(

I thought that the console sales had fallen on it's arse in Japan anyway, with handhelds being a much bigger market as it is, surely it's worth getting some subtitles stuck on your game just to milk the otaku's?

I just really want to play those Yakuza's and the remake, this and Persona 5, is that too much to ask? :P

That's a fair point. They aren't bad with western releases.

Well fingers crossed for Yakuza then as I'm fairly sure Persona will get a release, didn't P4 do susrprisingly well for what was deemed far too 'Japanese-y' for western markets?

Ni-Oh has been all but confirmed for a western release. Koei filed a trademark for this title in the US back in 2014 and in the siliconera interview I posted they talk about "showing the world Japanese yokai culture" with this game.

It's refreshing to see a Japanese company excited about showing the west Japanese culture instead of thinking "those baka na gaijin don't understand 80s Japan so don't even bother" :P

That summary misses out on a lot of the backstory for the game's original concept, it was apparently a tie-in for an unfinished Akira Kurosawa film called Oni and was the first PS3 game to get a firm release date, now that is an interesting backstory. The film seems to have been canned which I suppose is why the game got shelved after the merger with Koei.

• Upvote 1