Sign in to follow this  
toythatkills

BoJack Horseman

Started this over the weekend and I'm loving it so far. I think I've watched 5 or 6 because I don't want to rinse it. Best episodes have been the David Boreanaz one and the Rock Opera one. Or the one where they go back to Boston for Dianes Dads funeral. But every episode has been hilarious.

Best supporting character is the whale that reads the news - that guy cracks me up.  

• Upvote 1

Dunno if I can do more of this especially if it's BoJack repeatedly fucks up again. It actually takes an emotional toll watching it. 

• Upvote 3

On 05/09/2018 at 12:59, Silent Runner said:

Started this over the weekend and I'm loving it so far. I think I've watched 5 or 6 because I don't want to rinse it. Best episodes have been the David Boreanaz one and the Rock Opera one. Or the one where they go back to Boston for Dianes Dads funeral. But every episode has been hilarious.

Best supporting character is the whale that reads the news - that guy cracks me up.  

Can't believe it took you this long to get to it, SR, but congratulations!

Wait until Neal McBeal.

Yeah, I don't know why it's taken me so long to get into it. I think it's because I've started to see Netflix made shows as pretty poor. 

Neal Beal The Navy Seal?I love that guy, although BJ was right about those muffins.

I watched up to episode 11 last night where Bojack, Sarah Lynn and Todd take piles of drugs and try to write a book in 5 days - amazing stuff. The final scene was crushing. 

7 hours ago, sammy said:

Episode 6. Just amazingly fucking good.

I'm halfway through it and had to come in here to see if anyone had mentioned it. It's incredible. Will Arnett is *perfect* for the character.

*edit* Okay biggest LOL from a TV show for some time. Easily a Bojack classic episode.

Just watched episode 6 as well. It's absolutely some of the best written meeting of humour and pathos I've seen in a series, let alone Bojack. Also special mention for the brilliant ep Bojack the Feminist:

Spoiler

"I'm going to stand over here, being woke."

Spoilers for the end of the series:

Spoiler

I have to admit I'm now a lot more cold about Bojack as a character. I think throughout the series it's always felt like there was the smallest kernel of a piece of a hope that he was capable of being a good person, but almost killing a woman in a drugged up rage is impossible for a viewer to really forgive or forget he's capable of. Maybe that's the point. I think Diane was far too nice to him afterwards though.

On 15/09/2018 at 17:35, Benny said:

Spoilers for the end of the series:

Hide contents

I have to admit I'm now a lot more cold about Bojack as a character. I think throughout the series it's always felt like there was the smallest kernel of a piece of a hope that he was capable of being a good person, but almost killing a woman in a drugged up rage is impossible for a viewer to really forgive or forget he's capable of. Maybe that's the point. I think Diane was far too nice to him afterwards though.

Yeah, it's too much. The show pulled back from the worst excesses; he didn't go through with it on the boat at the end of season 2, Sarah Lynn was clearly a mutually destructive relationship. Here it's all on him. 

I read an article with the creator where he said essentially "BoJack can't change on his own, he has to go to rehab and therapy so he needed to hit a new bottom, unfortunately". But that's not necessarily true. Basically every finale could have been the catalyst for major change. People do. Imperfectly, but they do. This season really engineered BoJack into the situation. 

There's a nihilism at the heart of the show, even stuff like

Spoiler

Oh you thought Todd would get with Emily, Princess Caroline would get a baby and patch things up with ex? Ah, fuck you. There are no happy endings. 

Even things like - the shkwrunner is a bit of an idiot, Diane really did it all. There are no nice things. 

It's really beginning to put me off. It has the Last Jedi problem of needing to flip it at every available opportunity. Which is annoying as when it's good, it's really, really good.