Sign in to follow this  
toythatkills

BoJack Horseman

Not sure why we don't have a topic for this, because it is excellent.

BoJack-Houseman.jpg

It takes a few episodes to get into, I think, because the tone of it is quite unlike basically most cartoons and sit-coms you'll have ever seen. It's depressing, anything like a happy ending is tense and fraught with problems and the characters all have genuine issues. It's not one of those shows where you watch an episode knowing that in 20 minutes everything will be back where it started and all the characters will move on as if it never happened, and this makes it really interesting. It's not just that stories run through seasons, but characters moods and personalities and stuff too.

Also, importantly, it's fucking hilarious when it gets going. Will Arnett as BoJack is probably the most inspired piece of casting ever. I mean, Will Arnett is brilliant in everything anyway but in this he really sells BoJack. The world of animal/humans is full of humour too, with everyone being totally normal and yet animals retaining some of the quirks that make them animals. Also, Vincent is fucking amazing, and I don't think there was a single exchange between him and BoJack that didn't have me laughing. Also, despite the colourful look it has serious stuff to say about Hollywoo and celebrity culture in general.

Anyway, typically The New Yorker sum it up better than I ever could: http://www.newyorker.com/culture/cultural-comment/bojack-horseman-and-the-comedy-of-despair

BoJack Horseman is great.

• Upvote 3

I don't personally understand why the second season got much better reviews than the first. I think critics just had to get used to what it was trying to do first. It's absolutely my kind of humour, it's bleak as shit. I love some of the recurring jokes, it gets a lot of mileage of out the character's ringtones for instance.

I'm sure there was already a topic for this, maybe just thinking of the Netflix thread. Loved the first season, not got around to watching the second season yet.

Only recently watched this, after the second season came out, and absolutely loved it. It's quite a special show, and both more hilarious and surprisingly meaningful than you'd expect a show about a talking horse to be.

I don't personally understand why the second season got much better reviews than the first. I think critics just had to get used to what it was trying to do first.

I believe the original reviews were mostly based only on the first few episodes, and a number of reviewers later regretted not having waited until they'd seen the entire first season. That said, while the show improved a lot in the first season it's not like the first few episodes were actually bad - the first one is the weakest, but still entertaining enough to keep watching, and by episode three you already have the first appearance of Sarah Lynn, which already reveals the show's sense of humour.

Yup, it has instantly become one of my favourite shows ever. Genuinely moving at times, some exceptional writing and then even the cheap visual gags like the funeral director maggots and the elephant in the room usually have me in hysterics. Love it when they have running jokes like excruciatingly contrived pun downs or three different spins on characters misusing the same cliche too. Fool me twice, fiddle de dee.

Just a wonderful show. Thankfully most of my friends share my enthusiasm for it, I only hope more people get on board so we get at least another couple of seasons.

• Upvote 1

The performances are all spectacular. There was an episode with Philip Baker Hall playing a homage to his role in Magnolia, and he was absolutely brilliant.

I love all the Magnolia/PTA references in this.

• Upvote 1

I never knew there is a thread for BoJack Horseman. My brother and I were in hysterics watching it, I still put it on when I can't decide what I want to watch. Episode 2 I think may be my favourite and I loved the episode with Henry Winkler's cameo.#hopefullyitisntfullofpeanuts #ohnoitwasfullofpeanuts

Also, I even have BoJack's Horsin' Around ringtone, now I don't answer the phone.

Wait until you see the underwater episode (4 I think) - it's an amazing piece of stand alone animation. Quite unlike anything they've done before. It's one of those rare TV episodes that you want to watch again straight after it ends.

• Upvote 2

Wow, this got fucking bleak in the end. Again. With the trajectory this show is on, I assume that in the penultimate episode of season 4 Bojack will literally rape and murder Diane while Mr Peanutbutter is forced to watch.

I think it's the best thing on TV. Animation is in a really good place right now. 

The nuanced depiction of depression reminds me of a Charlie Kaufman film. 

Just finished season 3. Jesus Christ, so good and episode 11! Felt like they were doing a rehash of a season 1 episode at first. :( This is such an an incredible show that's over looked as mentioned in this thread. Some hard hitting stuff again for a show that appeared to be just your average adult animation.

Had a group of friends who had all agreed to avoid watching this until we could all get together and binge it. Just finished it now in what was an almost six hour continuous screening. Absolutely brilliant. I generally try to keep my expectations in check for any new series of my favourite shows but I was very excited for this and it delivered on every possible level. Already renewed for a fourth series as well. Long live Bojack.

Only started from the beginning this week and I'm up to that underwater episode. Spectacular!

I like how the effects of events persist (even if it's just background detail) rather than everything resetting to normal every week.

I watched the underwater episode the other week, despite never watching the show, because I kept reading/hearing about it.

Really liked it, despite not knowing the character or the world.

Started on the series properly on Friday night last week, and binged the entire first season in one sitting. The opening / pre-credits scene of the very first episode sold it to me.

I'm now halfway through season two.

I fucking love it.

It's amazing.

There hasn't been a remotely duff episode yet.

Finished this last night.

Utterly fucking brilliant.

Not even one bad episode, and I often found myself crying with laughter so much I had to pause and rewind. Plus, of course, I'd also often pause and rewind to catch sight gags etc. in the background.

The *only* thing I didn't like, out of the three seasons plus the Christmas special, was that Ricky Gervais did a voice in one episode. Thankfully, though, it was a minor character with very few lines.

On 8/5/2016 at 16:16, JohnC said:

I like how the effects of events persist (even if it's just background detail) rather than everything resetting to normal every week.

Yup. And in addition to the continuity of BoJack and everyone else's live, you have all the little things from earlier episodes/seasons that pay off later on, such as:

Spoiler

The spaghetti strainers.

... and many more.

• Upvote 1

Watched one episode a while ago, really wasn't taken by it. Gave it another try recently, and binged all three series in a week. My god, it's brilliant. Quickfire animal gags combined with gut-wrenching awfulness, with moments of possible redemption that hardly ever happen. It's the hope that kills ya.

The prom episode and the underwater one are pretty much unbeatable. Favourite running gag is Mr Peanutbutter's response when "you're a good boy!" or "go get it!" is dropped into an otherwise normal conversation.

Someone's put together a soundtrack playlist on Spotify, which is just solid gold. Fuckin' Sea of Dreams, man!

• Upvote 4