rllmuk
Vin

Resident Evil 2 Remake - no spoilers pls

3 minutes ago, deerokus said:

These two posters almost have opposite concerns! 

Don't try and kill everything, you are supposed to run away a lot of the time. Ammo isn't plentiful, but it's also not vanishingly rare if you aren't trying to kill everything. 

I had to finish off the last boss of the A campaign with a knife as I had nothing else left, but I was never in a situation where I had to reload a save because I had no ammo whatsoever or anything like that. The ammo always ran out as I killed a boss. 

Amazing! I had to put 108 handgun bullets in storage before that fight. I think I had around 30 shotgun shells but I rarely used it. I got extra fuel for the flamethrower which I had to put in storage too!

On the Xbox achievements section of the app, it reckons I had killed about 55 zombies by the end but I don’t know how many of those (if any) are duplicates following a death or a reload?

On 01/02/2019 at 14:44, Kryptonian said:

I’m finding your posts in here a bit difficult to follow - it originally sounded like you were a big fan of the original and were frustrated with the remake as it wasn’t as similar as it could’ve been. But then the inventory/item box posts and not having room to pick stuff up made it sound like you weren’t familiar with it after all perhaps.

Then this post suggests you want the old control scheme and camera back as you don’t like the over the shoulder set up but you go on to criticise the throwback design which you could argue a fixed camera/tank control set up is?

I aren’t trying to have a go at you over this, I don’t follow what you’re posting is all.

Can you elaborate on:

invisible barriers

inconsistent enemy behaviour

infuriating design

atmosphere-crushing concessions

throwback design

?

I'll wait until I've finished both scenarios to give my overall verdict.

I appreciate I need to articulate better what the issues are, but briefly, I'm frustrated certain aspects aren't similar to the original, whilst other design choices in-keeping with the original conflict with the new viewpoint. So:

The frequent overlap between the two scenarios, ie. bumping into each other numerous times throughout the playthrough, is missing.

The changing of certain iconic cut scenes and routes is a minor disappointment.

I am very happy with a lot of the changes made to the police station layout, and have no strong feelings about the other locations other than the changes to the plant lab area are fantastic.

Regarding tank controls and the viewpoints, it is much easier to evade enemies in the original RE2 using tank controls. Even though the game often throws more zombies at you simultaneously. This is because the zombies are less resilient and have a shorter reach. Which is a big problem in REmake 2... enemies like the licker and sewer monsters take up huge amounts of space in what are largely confined corridors. The licker model is far too big. Due to third person it's much harder to get a grasp on the position and movement of a licker, so again, they're much harder to avoid in this and it becomes a straight trade for health or ammo. And there's an RNG element to the damage they take, making them unpredictable resource-drain if you choose to take them on. It's a minor thing but RE2 also leaned into action, with zombies going down comparatively easily, and the station was well lit, so it had less of a creepy vibe, but more of a schlocky b-movie one. There's room for both, but the remake doesn't cater for the latter.

Invisible barriers = sometimes enemies can follow you through doors, other times it's not allowed when clearly a pouncing licker would smash a door down.

Inconsistent behaviour = the above, plus Mr X cheating the player. It's so disappointing to give him the slip and sprint across the station, and 30 seconds later the thud-thud-thud spawns in the room next to you.

And as I've complained about before, but others don't see it as a negative, the game doesn't hand hold with resource management, it'll let you run ahead unprepared into a situation where you are too under-resourced to proceed.

REsi 4 fixed a lot of these problems, but I don't think it lost any of the original survival horror charm in the process.

I must stress, I do still really like the game, but it's hovering around a 7 or 8 at the moment.

• Upvote 2

That makes more sense to me now, thanks @grindmouse for taking the time :)

There are some bits I disagree with (mainly evading and the licker comments) and I personally don’t mind any deviation from the original re cutscenes etc but I get where you’re coming from now.

I may be down on it because I got myself into couple of bad spots and had to work my way out of them. But I don’t think this is the flawless remake REmake was.

The game actually took pity on me and offered me a white Tanooki suit. Embarrassing.

...speaking of Resi 6, which was spoke of probably many pages ago. 

Here's a cool new video from Raycevik highlighting what an amazing cheese-ball ride the game is. 

It doesn't quite fully highlight how mechanically tight the game is, which when married to the sheer schlock dumbness of the thing makes it far greater than I think people give it credit for. I love RE6. 

• Upvote 5

In a moment of weakness, at peak-pile, I bought this today. Enjoyed the demo very much and reading reactions in this thread had me salivating like a zombie about to descend on living flesh. 

Anyway, I just did the east corridor bit, which I already did unscathed in the demo, and got completely wanked on by 4 zombies. Did they make it harder? The zombies can really move, like hot damn. 

51 minutes ago, Kevvy Metal said:

...speaking of Resi 6, which was spoke of probably many pages ago. 

Here's a cool new video from Raycevik highlighting what an amazing cheese-ball ride the game is. 

It doesn't quite fully highlight how mechanically tight the game is, which when married to the sheer schlock dumbness of the thing makes it far greater than I think people give it credit for. I love RE6. 

+1

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, grindmouse said:

Yeah... I had no ammo and herbs because early on I was leaving them rather than using the item box. Which meant I had to go and get them later with X in pursuit. Maybe not totally the games’ fault.

Fucking, hell... seriously. 

Yes, it's maybe not totally the games' fault... As in, all this moaning can be filed firmly under Human Error. 

I had enough ammo to take out 3 police stations worth of zeds by the time i finished Leon A and Claire B on default difficulty. My only choice toward the end game was which toy to use.

I found most of the time I was just using my pistol...the end boss was not as difficult as I had anticipated, so as and when I do play this again I’ll be much more trigger happy!

I have to agree with earlier comments around the scarecity of ammo. I probably wasted a bit here and there in the police station trying to take down zombies that just would not stay down, but I haven’t been silly with it and I’m down to the wire right now...

Spoiler

Leon A game, just had my first fight with William Birkin and scraped it by the skin of my teeth. 

It made for quite a tense fight! But god knows I hope there’s a cache of ammo just around the corner...

2nd Run complete, true ending seen. I finished the game with an embarrassment of consumables, and I believe I am now ready to offer some Final Thoughts: 

In all, RE2 is a bloody brilliant game, though not quite a stone-cold classic like REmake 1. I would've been happier if they'd implemented Mr. X slightly differently, making him physically persistent and having him follow a strict ruleset, rather than leaning on teleports and triggers--but I appreciate that that's a very tall order, especially as he's only one feature of a game with loads of other horrors on offer. I'm not complaining too hard. Meanwhile, the Licker AI is not as sophisticated as I'd hoped: they don't realistically track sound, just glue to you under certain conditions. You can learn to manipulate their behaviour, but it it isn't intuitive. For example: you can't spend a round to attract attention and then relocate, because they will bear down on where you are, not where you were when you made the noise. Again, I'm not after the moon on a stick, but it's something I'd love to see them develop and do better in RE3make. 

More or less everything else in RE2 is brilliant. It looks amazing, and hideous; the weapons and shooting are spot on; the sound design is superb (some of those zombie barks are insane); it successfully nails "true" survival horror while importing modern action game controls. Its zombies are the best zombies ever: gruesome, sad, intimidating, and endlessly fun to bait, dodge and dismember. Even some parts of the story manage, through some combination of performances and character rendering, to rise above the schlocky material, specifically:

the relationship between Sherry and Claire. I was actually a little bit upset when Sherry got infected with the G-parasite, and so happy when her gross eye-veins were gone again.

Might take a bit of a break now, but I certainly intend to have a crack at Hardcore mode and maybe even try my hand at some speedruns. High marks to everyone involved. <3

• Upvote 2

22 minutes ago, Popo said:

I have to agree with earlier comments around the scarecity of ammo. I probably wasted a bit here and there in the police station trying to take down zombies that just would not stay down, but I haven’t been silly with it and I’m down to the wire right now...

Reveal hidden contents

Leon A game, just had my first fight with William Birkin and scraped it by the skin of my teeth. 

It made for quite a tense fight! But god knows I hope there’s a cache of ammo just around the corner...

Some people saying they have too much.

I wonder what difficulty they’re playing and if it indicates an inconsistency with the  scaling difficulty system...

3 hours ago, grindmouse said:

I wonder what difficulty they’re playing and if it indicates an inconsistency with the  scaling difficulty system...

I think it ebbs and flows - there were times I had next to nothing.

I tried a reload and ended up in pretty much the same situation re: ammo. 

Running away from a pack pack of zombie dogs with zero ammo and no other weapons is rather stressful!

I don’t know how those posting are managing to retain so much ammo, but I’m really struggling here!

4 hours ago, grindmouse said:

Honestly, I played it on Normal and I had a ridiculous amount of ammo and herbs left at the end.

10 hours ago, deerokus said:

No, there is a route back. Got to find it though. 

Once I've gone on the cable car have I missed the opportunity to go back?

been playing through claires B scenario. Man, the game ups the difficulty! It's proper tense with Mr X chasing you down. Loads more Zombies too! I must have had a good 10 jump scares :lol:

Just need to get the electronic parts back and move on...  have no health so seriously hope i find some soon. 

Picked this up today and I’m have had to drag myself away from it just now

I’m progressing at a snails pace but I couldn’t be happier with it

Got loads of herbs but hardly any ammo

• Upvote 1

Got the 'true' ending after finishing Claire B today. The lack of the two stories intertwining in any meaningful way is a shame, but overall this is as good a modern reimagining of the 90s Resi formula as you could hope for. I'm thinking an 8 or 9 out of 10.

Had a quick run through Fourth Survivor and then Tofu Survivor (got to the police station main hall before being mauled). Also pondering doing a Claire A/Leon B playthrough on Hardcore. I think the frugality required in the original games is so seared into my brain that playing this on Normal I ended up finishing the game with tons upon tons of ammo.

9 hours ago, RL666 said:

Might take a bit of a break now,

I didn't, I played more and completed Fourth Survivor. About 12 minutes, I have no idea if that's good. Was hard, fun, and instructive, felt like bootcamp for Hardcore mode...

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, Gorf said:

Picked this up today and I’m have had to drag myself away from it just now

This is exactly how I ended my Friday evening. The only reason I stopped was because the dual shock battery died. 

5 hours ago, PyramidFace said:

Got the 'true' ending after finishing Claire B today. The lack of the two stories intertwining in any meaningful way is a shame, but overall this is as good a modern reimagining of the 90s Resi formula as you could hope for.

I don’t understand why they didn’t just follow the template of the original game in terms of the intertwining structure. They could still have reworked everything inbetween, even have short sections where the two characters progress together.

Considering the length of development and how closely they stuck to the original in some areas, it seems like a wasted opportunity in many respects, more like a high budget cover version than a definitive remake.

Though on the flip side, a lot of the RPD renovations and especially what they’ve done to the lab area, are vastly superior to the original game. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

The lab looks cool, but ultimately you do fuck all in there. Same with the sewers. RPD is vastly superior in terms of tension, atmosphere, gameplay and innovations 

10 minutes ago, carlospie said:

The lab looks cool, but ultimately you do fuck all in there. Same with the sewers. RPD is vastly superior in terms of tension, atmosphere, gameplay and innovations 

I agree but a third act lab is a series tradition. The plant enemies blend the chimeras of RE with the canned spider-people of RE1.5. They’re better than giant moths or spiders (and I loved the nod to the moths). 

Are there any unique bosses to either character or scenario other than the one you get at the true ending?

Are there any unlocks in the game to get the silly weapons earlier on at all? 

I'm wanting to go through the police station just setting fire to everyone!