Resident Evil 2 Remake - no spoilers pls

This game is really fucking with me now. I keep dying after about an hour or so’s play, but with only very incremental saves.

When I go and replay the large chunk of game I did previously, not only is it different because of the devious map design and relentless undead/mutant hordes, but I swear some of the items move around too.

I’ve died three times now, losing a large chunk of progress and on each replay I am discovering completely new areas and tackling different problems.

None of this is bad by the way, quite the opposite.

Best Resi since 4, and better than the first Resi 2. Yeah, I said it. :ph34r:

• Upvote 1

I haven't decided if I think it's better than the original Resi 2 yet. I'm not sure it will stay ij my head for the rest of my life in the same way 2, 4 and REmake did (and 7 does in a different way). It would have been brilliant if they had emphasised the campaign differences a lot more. It's definitely at least as good as anything in the series not called 4 despite a few minor disappointments. 

The best since 4, and one of the best horror games ever made. The sound design, fuck man. 

I've been watching Mary Kish's full Resident Evil series playthroughs, starting with REmake. That game isn't as good as this, but is still great and timeless. 

Claire A / Leon B done! 

Almost got to the end of 4th Survivor. 

Now a fair bit into Leon A, using the OG costume and soundtrack. 

Replaying A scenario is so satisfying and you can just feel the masterful level design. 

I'd be very surprised if any other game knocks this off for my GOTY 2019.

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, Kevvy Metal said:

Replaying A scenario is so satisfying and you can just feel the masterful level design. 

I'd be very surprised if any other game knocks this off for my GOTY 2019.

Yeah I'm in the same boat, it's so well made, I just love being in the RPD even when doing tedious fetch work. It's one of the greatest locations in videogames IMO

I know a lot of people have moaned about the randoised small arms damage against Zombies but I think it was a genius design decision. You can't fuck about with Zombies which makes every encounter tense and exciting.

Capcom really fucking smashed it. Still got Claire A/Leon B and Tofu to clear, and Ghost Survivors is dropping next week so I'll keep playing for a long time.

Personally it just reinforces my belief that tightly designed linear games can offer just as much replay value if not more than giant open worlds.

• Upvote 4
2 minutes ago, Down by Law said:

Yeah I'm in the same boat, it's so well made, I just love being in the RPD even when doing tedious fetch work. It's one of the greatest locations in videogames IMO

I know a lot of people have moaned about the randoised small arms damage against Zombies but I think it was a genius design decision. You can't fuck about with Zombies which makes every encounter tense and exciting.

Capcom really fucking smashed it. Still got Claire A/Leon B and Tofu to clear, and Ghost Survivors is dropping next week so I'll keep playing for a long time.

Personally it just reinforces my belief that tightly designed linear games can offer just as much replay value if not more than giant open worlds.

Yes, massively this. 

Give me a tight 10 hour or slightly less adventure, then give the user lots of remix options to keep on replaying it. That's almost how things used to be back in the prior generations. 

As much as I really enjoyed RDR2, I really felt it's length and lack of pace change in the actual game-play. Interesting story, and always pretty fun but just so unbelievably long. 

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, Down by Law said:

It was £37.95 on release day at base with the ltd edition lenticular sleeve, so not really. Also the most downloaded game on PSN for the entire of January, despite being released on the 25th.

Cheaper than that at Argos on launch #argosmassive

3 hours ago, Down by Law said:

It was £37.95 on release day at base with the ltd edition lenticular sleeve, so not really. Also the most downloaded game on PSN for the entire of January, despite being released on the 25th.

Ah, I’m basing my observation on the price at which I bought it, which was £40 from Argos, and it was more on Amazon at the time (last weekend). 

9 hours ago, krenzler said:

The Ada section is definitely shit if you've set the brightness etc. correct. Can't see a damn thing in that area. 

Agreed, and I do find it annoying - to make matters worse I would guess it’s supposed to be so dark you can’t really see and have to rely on the daft tool to get you around?

But it is over quite quickly. 

25 minutes ago, yakumo said:

Claire really gets shafted, not only are her weapons worst than Leon but I have Mr X stomping around trying to murder me every other minute. Leon's scenario wasn't as tough as this.

Your complaints are premature, Mr X does not appear in Claire's campaign anywhere near as much as Leon's. In fact, B run Leon is the true unlucky bastard of the game who suffers from being STOMPstalked from near start to finish.

• Upvote 1