Resident Evil 2 Remake - no spoilers pls

On 01/02/2019 at 15:52, Kevvy Metal said:

...speaking of Resi 6, which was spoke of probably many pages ago. 

Here's a cool new video from Raycevik highlighting what an amazing cheese-ball ride the game is. 

It doesn't quite fully highlight how mechanically tight the game is, which when married to the sheer schlock dumbness of the thing makes it far greater than I think people give it credit for. I love RE6. 

The problem with these types of videos is they aren't reflecting on the game we played at launch on PS3. It was a clusterfuck of a mess at time with an erratic camera and performance. 

There were patches to sort these issues on PS3 and it was improved greatly on PS4 etc. As much as I dislike the game, it's not the mess it was at the original launch. 

• Upvote 1
8 hours ago, grindmouse said:

Are there any unique bosses to either character or scenario other than the one you get at the true ending?

Yes.

The one before that is unique to each character: Tyrant for Leon, Billy Birkin Stage 4 for Claire. Also only Leon meets the giant alligator, though it’s barely more than a QTE 

31 minutes ago, nakamura said:

The problem with these types of videos is they aren't reflecting on the game we played at launch on PS3. It was a clusterfuck of a mess at time with an erratic camera and performance. 

There were patches to sort these issues on PS3 and it was improved greatly on PS4 etc. As much as I dislike the game, it's not the mess it was at the original launch. 

Absolutely spot on, at launch I hated the game. First impressions were bad for a lot of people and that has stuck with the game ever since, I love the game now, I'm under no delusions though, the game is a massive clusterfuck. I hope one day Capcom will return to making some more action orientated Resi's but at the same time continue to make more classic resi's too, probably asking too much but hey ho.

I've finished Claire's A story, very enjoyable, I was afraid that the inventory management and backtracking would annoy me like the classics but it didn't bother me at all tbh. I had a shit tonne of ammo and consumables at the end which was a cake walk, I got a B rating. The enviroments are just so detailed and dense with atmosphere, probably my favourate aspect of the game coupled with the sound design. Mr X with that emotionless face stomping towards you wins the show for me, I didn't find the game scary but with him about I definately was feeling the pressure to get shit done quickly which led to some fatal mistakes. I would have liked to have seen a few additions like being able to swap shoulder camera and a simple dodge ability would have really polished the game off nicely for me. Those things missing didn't hamper my enjoyment though and perhaps they will appear in Resi 3 Remake if it gets made, I mean Resi 3 had a dodge ability so y'know.

Looking forward to finishing Leon's A story although I'm seriously low on ammo but at least I have an idea of what to expect. Then I'll give B stories a go and whatever extra shiz there is to do. Great game though, totally worth the admission price.   

• Upvote 2

I really appreciate how the lickers are far more threatening in this version; more on a par with the hunters from the original game. The lickers in the original RE2, while clearly a neat enemy which have stayed fond in the mind, we’re always a cake walk. 

I've done Leon A on normal so far. 

Spoiler

I completely forgot about the club key and Chief Irons' office though :facepalm:.

In terms of ammo, at first I was killing every zombie and leaving myself a little short, though without ever completely running out. They take so many headshots to die though, that a lot of the time I just resorted to shooting them once in the head to get them to stumble so I could run past. I felt it was balanced pretty perfectly. Same with health. Despite worrying about my ammo and health supplies going into the last 20 minutes, I ended up with a couple of RGB herbs left and 10 or so shells for each gun when the game ended.

In terms of inventory, I can see it being a massive annoyance if you don't pick up any hip bags. But I got all of them and I only ever had a couple of times where I had to throw away a blue herb to make space cos I couldn't be arsed to an item box. And even then, I think the item box placement was spot on. Not too close together to make things easy, but not a massive ball-ache to get to one. 

Mr X I didn't have much trouble with. I found if I just legged it through a few rooms I'd lose him until I next started shooting. Genuinely terrifying though when I'd hear him approach, or when I confused my own footsteps with his :)

All in all, I think they got things absolutely spot-on. Although I found it SO tense that there were lots of times where I was thinking "Why the hell am I doing this? It's amazing, but I feel AWFUL." :lol:

• Upvote 4
5 hours ago, Down by Law said:

You were very close to where you need to be. You definitely need that tool you thought you did. All I'll say is its in the rpd and you definetely need a key that is also in the rpd. Happy hunting 

Cheers! I missed a ladder! Well, it was dark. And raining. And I was too busy looking at the pretty graphics and rain effects and oohing and aahing. And then of course, directly after that...

Spoiler

Tyrant turned up for the first time! And now I'm just aaagghhhing!

7 hours ago, Kevvy Metal said:

The chat here prior that Senario B isn’t different enough or too samey to Senario A is utterly insane. 

Yes, they take place is the same physical place but everything is completely remixed and the narrative is totally different. It’s basically just like it is in the original game. 

Completely remixed is a bit generous I think. The beginning of the B scenario makes you think things are going to be quite different but in reality they just move the items and enemies around a bit. You're still collecting the same objects to put in the same places to gain access to 95% of the same areas, you just might confront a couple of zombies in different places to do so.

Also narratively it doesn't really work for me. Again, at the beginning of B (Leon in my case) they try to make it seem like you're seeing the other side of the story while Claire was doing her thing, but you're still opening up locked areas and completing puzzles that Claire had to have done hours before in the timeline for the events to make sense. I don't really get it.

It's just enough for a second runthrough but I can't imagine playing all four scenarios in close proximity without totally burning out on the game.

• Upvote 2

This definitely living up to the survival bit of survival horror for me. 

After my post earlier about being on zero ammo, it got worse when I ended up on ‘danger’ for health as well as no ammo. What made it worse was I kept on finding nothing but blue freakin’ herbs, along with the odd red, and not a green in sight!

Made it to a safe room just now and have finally recovered a bit of health and a few (literally) handgun shells. 

Determined not to reload from an earlier point, but not sure how do-able this is going to be in my current state.....

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, Majora said:

Completely remixed is a bit generous I think. The beginning of the B scenario makes you think things are going to be quite different but in reality they just move the items and enemies around a bit. You're still collecting the same objects to put in the same places to gain access to 95% of the same areas, you just might confront a couple of zombies in different places to do so.

Also narratively it doesn't really work for me. Again, at the beginning of B (Leon in my case) they try to make it seem like you're seeing the other side of the story while Claire was doing her thing, but you're still opening up locked areas and completing puzzles that Claire had to have done hours before in the timeline for the events to make sense. I don't really get it.

It's just enough for a second runthrough but I can't imagine playing all four scenarios in close proximity without totally burning out on the game.

Its exactly like that in the original game, I Senario B you’re basically replaying the game but from the other perspective but you’re still replaying the meat of the game. If it doesn’t work for you then so be it. 

Finished tonight, absolutely loved it. The enemies in the lab area were great, as was the boss. It's a brilliant game, almost perfect (the story and dialogue are terrible) and it was really interesting how well the general Resi formula works with a few modern tweaks. Really, really pleased with it.

• Upvote 3
4 hours ago, Fox said:

I've done Leon A on normal so far. 

Hide contents

I completely forgot about the club key and Chief Irons' office though :facepalm:.

In terms of ammo, at first I was killing every zombie and leaving myself a little short, though without ever completely running out. They take so many headshots to die though, that a lot of the time I just resorted to shooting them once in the head to get them to stumble so I could run past. I felt it was balanced pretty perfectly. Same with health. Despite worrying about my ammo and health supplies going into the last 20 minutes, I ended up with a couple of RGB herbs left and 10 or so shells for each gun when the game ended.

In terms of inventory, I can see it being a massive annoyance if you don't pick up any hip bags. But I got all of them and I only ever had a couple of times where I had to throw away a blue herb to make space cos I couldn't be arsed to an item box. And even then, I think the item box placement was spot on. Not too close together to make things easy, but not a massive ball-ache to get to one. 

Mr X I didn't have much trouble with. I found if I just legged it through a few rooms I'd lose him until I next started shooting. Genuinely terrifying though when I'd hear him approach, or when I confused my own footsteps with his :)

All in all, I think they got things absolutely spot-on. Although I found it SO tense that there were lots of times where I was thinking "Why the hell am I doing this? It's amazing, but I feel AWFUL." :lol:

That spoilered bit is strictly Claire so you haven't missed out.

• Upvote 1

Watching me play on PS4 has prompted my husband to download it on PC and do a Claire A run himself. Except he’s too chicken shit and has got a version with cheats enabled, giving himself unlimited ammo. 

Bless his socks, but I am envious of his ability to shoot the utter shit out of every enemy. I’ve resigned myself to just stunning zombies with a single shot and moving on, but it’s not as satisfying. 

9 hours ago, Kevvy Metal said:

The chat here prior that Senario B isn’t different enough or too samey to Senario A is utterly insane. 

Yes, they take place is the same physical place but everything is completely remixed and the narrative is totally different. It’s basically just like it is in the original game. 

The real difference is that the main story beats (specifically the need to find an antiviral agent, the fates of Irons and Ben, the resolution of the Mr X plot) originally depended on which version of the character's run through was happening. In Claire A, the lab section was all about finding an antiviral; in Claire B it wasn't required at all and the issue instead was Mr X stalking Sherry for a locket with the G virus sample. Similarly, in the original Leon B, Ada finds Sherry's locket and that's why Mr X comes after her.

For the remake, Capcom have settled on a straight canon so the main story beats play out the same on a character's A/B regardless:

Spoiler
  • Only Claire encounters the Licker that crashes into the interrogation room. In either run, Leon enters the room afterwards and finds a shattered window
  • Only Leon encounters the crocodile, Claire will never see it on either run
  • The self-destruct is always triggered by Leon retreiving the G-virus sample and Ada always falls down the main shaft
  • Claire always has to rescue Sherry from the Orphanage then subsequently has to find an antiviral
  • Mr X was originally a B run threat but here is found in both runs and is ultimately much more of a Leon problem than a Claire one because William kills Mr X halfway through Claire's story while presumably a second Tyrant must arrive to hunt Ada and Leon in the sewers and the NEST lab
  • The final showdown with Mr X is always Leon's, similarly the penultimate Birkin encounter is exclusively Claire's regardless of the run being A or B.

You get a couple of nastier enemy placements on a B run and some remixed puzzles but otherwise the differences between A or B now are the B character gets a new pistol, has no interaction with Marvin (he's already turned), Mr X arrives much sooner, and the traditional final battle on the train. The locket is purely a Claire plot point, Ben is always killed by Mr X instead of either via G embryo or William just tearing him in two. Likewise, Irons could die via G embryo or be dismembered but now it's purely by G embryo.

I should add it doesn't actually bother me, I absolutely loved the entire experience and prefer the new unified story. The only things I would tweak are contradictory things like having both A and B fighting G v1, and especially v2 and v3; having to repeat the entire greenhouse scenario in the NEST instead of an alternative way to upgrade your wristband; and certain events around both Annette and Mr X, the latter of which could have been fixed by giving him a model tweak to remove the trenchcoat for the final third.

I mean, yeah, the story logic across the A/B runs is totally broken, best not think about it too hard I guess. It’s a bummer they didn’t implement it like in the original, but if nothing else it does serve to highlight just how bloody impressively that stuff was done there. 

More generally, is it just me or is this one decidedly lighter in the “lore” department? I kinda wanna say the story is completely unintelligible if you don’t bring your own knowledge of the original game. 

like, is Mr. X ever even explained properly? I must’ve missed a document somewhere, but there must have been more than that in the older game, surely!?

• Upvote 1
6 hours ago, RL666 said:

More generally, is it just me or is this one decidedly lighter in the “lore” department? I kinda wanna say the story is completely unintelligible if you don’t bring your own knowledge of the original game. 

Hide contents

like, is Mr. X ever even explained properly? I must’ve missed a document somewhere, but there must have been more than that in the older game, surely!?

No, he just turned up and started smashing shit. There was a cutscene where he's dropped from a helicopter, but that's it.

I've finished Leon A and Claire B now.I think overall it's a very good game with some disappointments. I think bits of it were too serious. They went too far removing all the cheese.

Here are my spoiler disappointments -

I think the gun shop owner executing his infected daughter is just bad taste. We get it, the virus is awful, society has collapsed and terrible things are happening now. But this is still just entertainment that people have made to entertain other people, and this sort of thing feels too exploitative and wrong to me.

Hated the alligator. Died about 5 times at least. It was unclear what was happening, and it felt like I was just memorising its movements. At least it was over fairly quickly.

Hated the orphanage bit. Personally I don't like stealth games at all, so unexpected stealth sections in an action game particularly piss me off. There seems to be one set route you follow and one specific hiding place at any given time - so I again felt like I just had to memorise the pattern rather than do well. Also hated the chief irons/Sherry dynamic. Here's a fucked up guy going to give a child some abuse! Nope.

A couple of the boss battles could have used more feedback that I was doing the right thing. Last couple of times I fought Ivor Bigeye I couldn't tell whether I was supposed to be attacking the way I was or not. Did get eaten on the train. That was a fun animation.

Like most people seem to be, yeah I was disappointed a bit in the way the stories didn't intertwine that much. I'm not holding out much hope now that Claire A is going to be much different from Claire B.

Got a bit annoyed with the tenacity of some of the enemies too. I was hitting zombies with 3 acid grenades without them going down - on standard difficulty. And sometimes MRA tyrant made just a bit too irritating to get around. Probably still quicker than if I had to watch an animation every time I went through a door though.

But those are just my disappointments, it's excellent otherwise. I think this is far better than I had hoped and expected, and it basically lives up to the legacy of resident evil 2.

• Upvote 2
9 hours ago, RL666 said:

I mean, yeah, the story logic across the A/B runs is totally broken, best not think about it too hard I guess. It’s a bummer they didn’t implement it like in the original, but if nothing else it does serve to highlight just how bloody impressively that stuff was done there. 

Hide contents

There is not, he always just showed up. I think he's kinda explained by Resi 1, as in that umbrella have created the first tyrant and Mr x is an updated version of that.

4 hours ago, grindmouse said:

Are we not being slightly too lenient on Capcom, given they had workable story beats from a 20 year old game and instead fudged it into something streamlined and simpler. 

Some of @Joystick Chevron‘s spoilered omissions hugely detract from this game versus the original. Like.. the scenarios are more repetitive and therefore replay value suffers. The game’s on-going narrative is somehow less complex, coherent and satisfying than the original. It really bothers me and if I were reviewing would lose it a point or 2. Fans have been waiting 20 years for a Resident Evil 2 remake and in fundamental areas this game does not scratch that itch the way REmake did. 

God I cannot even begin to describe how much more satisfying this is for me than REmake. That game felt like an outdated mess 18 years ago, terrible controls and unclear, confusing structure making it shit to play even on the GameCube. I can't believe they've taken Resi 2 and actually remade it with playable controls and a structure that makes sense. Its amazing. And if what you wanted is just the exact same game again why not just play the original?

• Upvote 4

I had a proper Benny Hill moment last night in the library with

Spoiler

Mr X. 

I ran in there, used my tool to move the shelf, went to the ladder, he was coming down it! I ran around him climbed the ladder, the shelves weren't in the right order, so I ran back to the ladder, he was climbing back up the damned thing! 

Got back down, he of course followed me, I was moving the book case, zombie surprise grab, and Mr X flattened me. If yakketty sax had been playing it would have been perfect.

• Upvote 3

So when I start playing with either character, am I automatically taking the A route of that character? And when I’m finished, would it make the most sense to then continue with the B story of the other character? This stuff currently doesn’t make much sense to me. 

Welp, guess I accidentally started my Hardcore run last night. I have it so bad for this game.

(Hardcore seems ace, enemies are tougher but still fun to shoot, ink ribbons are not too stingey. It’s so cool that even saving the game is made into an interesting decision)