Resident Evil 2 Remake - no spoilers pls

I have to agree with earlier comments around the scarecity of ammo. I probably wasted a bit here and there in the police station trying to take down zombies that just would not stay down, but I haven’t been silly with it and I’m down to the wire right now...

Spoiler

Leon A game, just had my first fight with William Birkin and scraped it by the skin of my teeth. 

It made for quite a tense fight! But god knows I hope there’s a cache of ammo just around the corner...

2nd Run complete, true ending seen. I finished the game with an embarrassment of consumables, and I believe I am now ready to offer some Final Thoughts: 

In all, RE2 is a bloody brilliant game, though not quite a stone-cold classic like REmake 1. I would've been happier if they'd implemented Mr. X slightly differently, making him physically persistent and having him follow a strict ruleset, rather than leaning on teleports and triggers--but I appreciate that that's a very tall order, especially as he's only one feature of a game with loads of other horrors on offer. I'm not complaining too hard. Meanwhile, the Licker AI is not as sophisticated as I'd hoped: they don't realistically track sound, just glue to you under certain conditions. You can learn to manipulate their behaviour, but it it isn't intuitive. For example: you can't spend a round to attract attention and then relocate, because they will bear down on where you are, not where you were when you made the noise. Again, I'm not after the moon on a stick, but it's something I'd love to see them develop and do better in RE3make. 

More or less everything else in RE2 is brilliant. It looks amazing, and hideous; the weapons and shooting are spot on; the sound design is superb (some of those zombie barks are insane); it successfully nails "true" survival horror while importing modern action game controls. Its zombies are the best zombies ever: gruesome, sad, intimidating, and endlessly fun to bait, dodge and dismember. Even some parts of the story manage, through some combination of performances and character rendering, to rise above the schlocky material, specifically:

the relationship between Sherry and Claire. I was actually a little bit upset when Sherry got infected with the G-parasite, and so happy when her gross eye-veins were gone again.

Might take a bit of a break now, but I certainly intend to have a crack at Hardcore mode and maybe even try my hand at some speedruns. High marks to everyone involved. <3

3 hours ago, grindmouse said:

Some people saying they have too much.

I wonder what difficulty they’re playing and if it indicates an inconsistency with the  scaling difficulty system...

I think it ebbs and flows - there were times I had next to nothing.

I tried a reload and ended up in pretty much the same situation re: ammo. 

Running away from a pack pack of zombie dogs with zero ammo and no other weapons is rather stressful!

I don’t know how those posting are managing to retain so much ammo, but I’m really struggling here!

4 hours ago, grindmouse said:

Some people saying they have too much.

I wonder what difficulty they’re playing and if it indicates an inconsistency with the  scaling difficulty system...

Honestly, I played it on Normal and I had a ridiculous amount of ammo and herbs left at the end.

been playing through claires B scenario. Man, the game ups the difficulty! It's proper tense with Mr X chasing you down. Loads more Zombies too! I must have had a good 10 jump scares :lol:

Just need to get the electronic parts back and move on...  have no health so seriously hope i find some soon. 

Got the 'true' ending after finishing Claire B today. The lack of the two stories intertwining in any meaningful way is a shame, but overall this is as good a modern reimagining of the 90s Resi formula as you could hope for. I'm thinking an 8 or 9 out of 10.

Had a quick run through Fourth Survivor and then Tofu Survivor (got to the police station main hall before being mauled). Also pondering doing a Claire A/Leon B playthrough on Hardcore. I think the frugality required in the original games is so seared into my brain that playing this on Normal I ended up finishing the game with tons upon tons of ammo.

9 hours ago, RL666 said:

Might take a bit of a break now,

I didn't, I played more and completed Fourth Survivor. About 12 minutes, I have no idea if that's good. Was hard, fun, and instructive, felt like bootcamp for Hardcore mode...

7 hours ago, Gorf said:

Picked this up today and I’m have had to drag myself away from it just now

This is exactly how I ended my Friday evening. The only reason I stopped was because the dual shock battery died. 

Fourth Survivor feels like something I could play forever. It's just so fucking fun laying waste to everything even if you've no intention of making it out alive. Blowing a hole through three zombies with a well timed Magnum round feels godlike. I feel like the crazy swat guy from the beginning of Dawn of the Dead, kicking in doors and exploding heads (but without the racism of course) :lol:

One thing I’m finding a bit inconsistent regarding some of the monsters...

Spoiler

...is that while zombies will follow you through doors, and obviously Mr X does this writ large, there are certain rooms, like save rooms and the STARS office, for example, where even if the enemy is standing next to you while you go through the door, they won’t follow. I think I did hear a kind of ‘locked door’ effect once when ducking into the save room in the west stairwell and there was a zombie there, but even if I did hear that right, the fact that Mr X won’t break the door down is somewhat immersion-breaking and gives an opportunity for the player to abuse the rules and play the game not in keeping with the spirit in which the developers intended. Specifically regarding Mr X , I suppose  

4 hours ago, carlospie said:

The lab looks cool, but ultimately you do fuck all in there. Same with the sewers. RPD is vastly superior in terms of tension, atmosphere, gameplay and innovations 

Just did the sewers and I loved the structure:

Spoiler

A tightly focussed area where I had to hunt out puzzle pieces, new enemies, an interesting puzzle, great boss fight. 

Only just reached the lab.

The only area in the game I can call a blatant weak point is the 

Spoiler

Ada section

Besides that I like the games areas for different reasons. Everyone likes the police station the most but I don't mind the lab, it is the end game after all you want to treat it as a final push.

The chat here prior that Senario B isn’t different enough or too samey to Senario A is utterly insane. 

Yes, they take place is the same physical place but everything is completely remixed and the narrative is totally different. It’s basically just like it is in the original game. 

Completely stuck for the first time. Playing Leon A (this is my first playthrough)...

Spoiler

I've put one of the spare parts into the box on the wall in the prison area, and from documents I've read in the game, there's another one in the clock tower back in the police station. But I can't seem to find a way to the tower (I have the large gear which I'm guessing fixes something in the clock tower). I suppose the point where I started to flounder is when I used the crank to open the final shutter door. I then seem to have come up against a lot of doors that need a special key, none of which I have. I also haven't found anything to slot into the jack in the library, which would get me to the top floor (I suspect it's behind one of the many locked doors).

I think I might have to head back to the east wing of the police station and go back underground to see if I've missed anything. I have a feeling that the corridor there will be filled with zombies as there's four windows and I've only managed to board one of them up.

If anyone has any non-spoilery, cryptic hints...