Resident Evil 2 Remake - no spoilers pls

13 minutes ago, Gorf said:

I can’t decide whether to buy this or not as i’ve turned into a complete wimp these past few years

Is this scarier than resident evil 7 in VR? I genuinely couldn’t play that because it was too scary

No way, that game is ten times more scary purely, as you know, because of the immersion VR gives. 

In the B game "he" really ups his game :(. It's like the game calculates the odds of your next destination from the save room you are in and your general progress and then, bang, there he is, even if you set out when he is moving away from you and you keep things very quiet.  For the first time I've felt the mechanic a little unfair.

43 minutes ago, Cosmic_Guru said:

In the B game "he" really ups his game :(. It's like the game calculates the odds of your next destination from the save room you are in and your general progress and then, bang, there he is, even if you set out when he is moving away from you and you keep things very quiet.  For the first time I've felt the mechanic a little unfair.

I kinda found him a bit lame in the A game (i only ran into him once with ada and that was because i missed something and was trapped in a corridor). B game sounds much more exciting then =)

It's definitely not scarier than 7 (even 7 in non VR). That's one of the scariest things ever made. This uses a lot of the same sound design techniques but is just quite scary rather than horrifyingly so. 

Claire B is harder generally, right at the start you get swarmed with about 6 zombies and all you have is a pea shooter. With three peas. 

RE: enemy varieties

Personally I'm happy enough to see the back of the crow and giant bug enemies, 'cause I always thought they were kinda goofy in the older games. The Z's and the humanoid mutants have always been the main attraction, evoking a combination of pity and horror that scaled-up arthropods just can't match.

• Upvote 4

Is there any kind of new game+ upon completion? 

Gotta say I have to force myself to start a session with this as I dislike the backtracking and inventory management but once I'm in I really enjoy it. The sheer amount of detail put into the environments is outstanding, couple that with the superb audio atmosphere and old school music dlc and I'm in heaven.

1 hour ago, Gizamaluke said:

Anyone else think Claire looks a bit derpy sometimes? Not trying to troll or anything, but sometimes she looks a bit off.

They used a model's real face as the basis but then tweaked it to look more like a designed character, she's slightly unusual looking in real life so it comes across as a touch uncanny for sure. 

8 minutes ago, deerokus said:

They used a model's real face as the basis but then tweaked it to look more like a designed character, she's slightly unusual looking in real life so it comes across as a touch uncanny for sure. 

Haha, just found her on Instagram. The comments are as gloriously creepy as you can imagine. Everyone calling her Claire.

"The body is thin and attractive"

lol

Anyway, just finally managed to do Hunk mode. Hard as hell on default. Dunno if I could manage it on hard but I'll try.

I kind of wish they'd left just a little of the cheese out of the thing is one of the very few moans I'd have. After you get out of the Police Station it kind of reverts to B-Movie shenanigans, and considering we have that lovely little bit just before all this kicks off

with the gunshop owner - very Last of Us I thought

it's now all going in the usual bonkers Resi format.

Don't get me wrong, it's all marvellous fun, but it could have ditched a whole load of this and it'd have been even better for me.

Also, I'm thinking someone else did Ada's model altogether as it kind of looks utterly out of place with the rest of the characters.

Anyways, it's still great fun.

14 minutes ago, Monkeyspill said:

I've killed the first boss but I've completely run out of shotgun shells and have 22 handgun bullets left. Is it possible to continue?

Definitely. In fact on most of the boss fights I killed them just as I ran out of ammo. Quite exciting that way. 

I actually finished off the final boss of the a campaign with the knife. 

• Upvote 1

So good this! I am now playing the Leon B game. I love the fact that when I first played through there was a certain bit I was expecting to happen (but didn't) as I saw it when I recently played through the original on N64, then in this Leon B run, it happened. It was great to see a little thing like that, that is what makes this game even better for me.

Finished Claire A on hardcore tonight (went into the last two bosses with 35 acid rounds :lol:). With both A’s done on hardcore I should be acquainted with the game enough now to give B a proper go without having to abandon it fairly quickly like last time. Hardcore B is actually mental and unrelenting.

• Upvote 2

Kept forgetting you could slash with the knife. In fact the 2nd to last boss seems a lot easier to kill with the knife.

Also apparently the knife is the only weapon dependent on frame rate! If you have a faster Framerate you can do more damage in a smaller amount of time (yeah, i was watching a bit of a speedrun).

Scenario B has a strong start but ends up a little disappointing. Of course it was never going to have the same impact as a first play through, but feels like the designers are enjoying playing with your expectations at the beginning then just sort of forget about it when the game gets into the second half. 

All in all, though, fantastic game. I’m glad the success of this means RE3 Remake is all but assured, though I do dread what Nemesis will look like in this new engine. 

1 hour ago, Garibaldi said:

Scenario B has a strong start but ends up a little disappointing. Of course it was never going to have the same impact as a first play through, but feels like the designers are enjoying playing with your expectations at the beginning then just sort of forget about it when the game gets into the second half. 

All in all, though, fantastic game. I’m glad the success of this means RE3 Remake is all but assured, though I do dread what Nemesis will look like in this new engine. 

I agree. I believe it’s because you know all that’s going to happen, seeing Tyrant is just like seeing an old friend in the pub! I even started mucking about with him later on trapping him in walls