Resident Evil 2 Remake - no spoilers pls

2 hours ago, Anne Summers said:

Is there much here to surprise those of us who've player the original to death? In the way there was in the Resi 1 remake?

Or is it pretty much a case of going through the original game again with new graphics and a different camera style?

It’s totally different in many aspects 

Even facing off against one zombie is sometimes quite tense. The combination of me being a rubbish shot and the way some of them swing from side to side, making head shots harder, doesn't help. Flash grenade saved me in the video below (no story spoilers)...

Spoiler

• Upvote 2

I think I'm nearing the end of Claire A. Certainly I must be in the final area at least.

Still enjoying it quite a bit, but....it does the exact same thing that nearly every Resi does and which I wish they'd stop doing. Which is to put you in a complex, down to earth, creepy environment for the first half of the game, which is by far the scariest part, and then in the second half you're in the sewers or some relatively faceless laboratory or industrial plant and the level design is no longer as complex, the visuals no longer as evocative and the scariness just kind of leeches away. I think literally every Resi I've played has done this to some degree? 

It's still very enjoyable but I think every entry I've ever played the first half is the best and most memorable bit.

• Upvote 3

I can get why people wouldn’t like that but at the same time I think the Metroid Prime games offer an example of the play shortcomings that would come with such an open design in all areas.

Being a survival horror you want to do every area in as few passes as possible, this puts pressure on the player to have good inventory management. This is why RE games are often segmented into three acts as opposed to one area.

I do agree however about the games becoming increasingly less scary towards the end. Action is empathised far more.

That kind of location progression is a Resident Evil staple I never get bored of, even when the locations are very similar from game to game, but I definitely agree that the location complexity and level design falter towards the end of each game.

Finished leon tonight. The bosses gave me a bit of a ass kicking.

I was kinda gutted i couldnt get back to the police station, i missed out on some weapons and never did find the heart key. Couple of safes probably too.

I do agree that it kinda loses the horror aspect after the police station and yeah all resi games seem to be like this. There however are still some scary moments later on though. Certainly better than after the house in Re7 (the ship/salt mines are pretty lame).

It sounds like nemesis will be the next remake, but part of me would love the original to get a remaster like this. Or just something brand new in this style i guess.

What's this Claire A and Claire B all about? Don't think I ever finished Resi 2 back in the day so beyond the police station it's all a bit of a mystery to me.

Spoiler

I'm partially playing through Leons campaign then switching to Claires campaign then vice visa because reasons. I'm finding Claires campaign harder, I just got to the kennels and things went from bad to worse once I got to the morgue. I didn't have much ammo to burn because the previous boss fight seemed harder than when I did it with Leon. Trying to conserve ammo didn't work out so well in the morgue, the zombies chased me into the hallway and forced me to burst back into the kennel room alerting a nearby licker. I managed to get past that one, took some damage, missed it with my grenade launcher, got through the room and out into the other hallway and then *slow mo* oh shiiit there's a licker on the fucking ceiling! It grabs me, I stick a grenade in its face... Boom! Is it dead? Nope, it gets up, I'm down to my pistol, get one shot off before it kills me :o I loved every moment.

I couldn't help myself, bought the music/sound DLC. It was totally worth it, interface sound effects, safe room music and ambient/action music are timeless.

1 minute ago, Max Damage said:

What's this Claire A and Claire B all about? Don't think I ever finished Resi 2 back in the day so beyond the police station it's all a bit of a mystery to me.

Hide contents

I'm partially playing through Leons campaign then switching to Claires campaign then vice visa because reasons. I'm finding Claires campaign harder, I just got to the kennels and things went from bad to worse once I got to the morgue. I didn't have much ammo to burn because the previous boss fight seemed harder than when I did it with Leon. Trying to conserve ammo didn't work out so well in the morgue, the zombies chased me into the hallway and forced me to burst back into the kennel room alerting a nearby licker. I managed to get past that one, took some damage, missed it with my grenade launcher, got through the room and out into the other hallway and then *slow mo* oh shiiit there's a licker on the fucking ceiling! It grabs me, I stick a grenade in its face... Boom! Is it dead? Nope, it gets up, I'm down to my pistol, get one shot off before it kills me :o I loved every moment.

I couldn't help myself, bought the music/sound DLC. It was totally worth it, interface sound effects, safe room music and ambient/action music are timeless.

Well, ideally you want to play one characters mode and then play the B game as the other character.

• Upvote 1

The A and B are the continuations of each other from the other perspective I seem to recall? E.g if your Claire and Leon chats to you from behind a fence, in Leon B youl be Leon from that perspective. I think. 

Ideally you want claire A Leon B, Leon A Claire B

if I recall in B the main difference was

big coat tyrant NEVER featured in scenario A which is why this one was so surprising 

• Upvote 2

Sometimes something comes along and you just have to say, fuck it, I'm writing off this entire weekend and just playing a fucking videogame. Resident Evil 2 (2019) has been just that kind of something for me. 

You couldn't even really call it a "remake" of Resi 2, so much as a blisteringly modern update of classic survival horror tenets finished with a lavish Resi 2 skin. It puts you in a complex environment filled with hazards, and challenges you to manage those hazards, operating deliberately and efficiently while optimising your scarce resources. Also it's sadistic and brutal, rubbing your face in new heights of body-horror grossness or causing you to fill your pantaloons in fright at every other turn. The injury detail and zombie deformation is sickeningly grisly, and Mr. X does the implacable-pursuit thing in an astutely-implemented way, far better than Alien Isolation (in my perhaps controversial opinion), where Alan's obnoxious invisible leash and general overexposure had me yelling "oh fuck off" instead of wailing for mercy. After two days of mainlining I finished the game with Leon (yeah, I play games slowly. I love walking in games, and pootling around. I've accepted it), and it's a testament to how absorbed I was that I made a swift cuppa and went straight back in with Claire B, even though it was already 2am. Despite internet rumour the B scenarios seem well worth the player's time, reusing the environments but sending you through them on a different route and remixing the puzzles and challenges. Spoilers: 

It was actually a little upsetting making my way through the station again like a latecomer, seeing formerly locked doors standing open and certain hapless NPCs rendered sadly anonymous among the rest of the station's dead. And of COURSE the Tyrant was showing up earlier this time through, but despite the trauma I couldn't help shaking a grudgingly respectful fist at the magnificent bastards that designed this game. Fingers crossed that the surprises continue all the way up to the final-final boss!

Low-level crushed to read (in retrospect) about the game's adaptive difficulty, as one of the best things about old-school survival horror is the knowledge that you are in a gameworld that is decidedly not your friend. Still, I'm assuming it's possible to sink a playthrough given enough incompetence, and also that the rubber-banding is switched off for the hardcore difficulty. 

• Upvote 1
4 hours ago, gossi the dog said:

How do the second scenarios work? I never played the original. So after playing through as Claire, should I now play Leon’s second scenario or his first one?

The second one. In the original at least, it's basically part two of the campaign. Although I think this might do it differently. 

After that, play his first one and Claire's second. 

• Upvote 1
33 minutes ago, grindmouse said:

Mildly disappointing if so. I’ve taken it slow and only encountered one boss so far and I’m at the 3 hour mark. Not got to the sewers or labs yet. Hmmm. It feels more like 25-30% based on the original game but I’d heard they switched some A/B stuff and streamlined it.

Nah you’re not that far in, there’s still quite a chunk to go.

12 hours ago, Majora said:

I think I'm nearing the end of Claire A. Certainly I must be in the final area at least.

Still enjoying it quite a bit, but....it does the exact same thing that nearly every Resi does and which I wish they'd stop doing. Which is to put you in a complex, down to earth, creepy environment for the first half of the game, which is by far the scariest part, and then in the second half you're in the sewers or some relatively faceless laboratory or industrial plant and the level design is no longer as complex, the visuals no longer as evocative and the scariness just kind of leeches away. I think literally every Resi I've played has done this to some degree? 

It's still very enjoyable but I think every entry I've ever played the first half is the best and most memorable bit.

Exception: Code Veronica. 

Not sure about six either - because I never really played it, due to finding the demo boring.