Crackdown 3

Yoshimax

It must have taken some effort to produce a trailer for the E3 conference that looks so much worse than the actual game. I always wonder why and how things like that happen, you'd think somebody  would step in at some point in the run up to E3... It does the game a disservice and I can't help but feel bad for the devs and all their hard work.

You also have to wonder why it's seemingly so difficult to find direct feed of this game and the only stuff we can find is by an annoying streamer who's never played Crackdown before.

It's a one X launch game and Microsoft are practically keeping it secret.

14 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

It must have taken some effort to produce a trailer for the E3 conference that looks so much worse than the actual game. I always wonder why and how things like that happen, you'd think somebody  would step in at some point in the run up to E3... It does the game a disservice and I can't help but feel bad for the devs and all their hard work.

I get the impression lines of communication between the marketing department and the actual developers isn't always the best. Take Phantom Dust, the devs of that didn't even know there was going to be a CGI trailer of their game at E3 in the first place and apparently it bore little resemblance to what they were actually working on,.

17 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

You also have to wonder why it's seemingly so difficult to find direct feed of this game and the only stuff we can find is by an annoying streamer who's never played Crackdown before.

Apart from the 10 minutes of direct feed on the Xbox daily stream of a developer playing it?

1 hour ago, ashmatuk said:

Apart from the 10 minutes of direct feed on the Xbox daily stream of a developer playing it?

Audio seems borked on that one for me, which is a shame as there is some good info from Clint and Dave being expressed.

Luckily someone uploaded one where it works :)

As for score, only 20 thousand. Amateurs. we're up in the 40 thousands here :) Tempted to tweet them, though I suspect we won't be getting any prizes!

In this modern day and age, I'm not sure why they confine these demos to E3 attendees. This isn't specifically about Crackdown but how cool would it have been during the conference to have a few games mentioned and then to tell viewers that the E3 demos are available for download now. Time limit them to a week and you're golden. 

1 minute ago, Charles said:

In this modern day and age, I'm not sure why they confine these demos to E3 attendees. This isn't specifically about Crackdown but how cool would it have been during the conference to have a few games mentioned and then to tell viewers that the E3 demos are available for download now. Time limit them to a week and you're golden. 

Then they need to go through cert and all the rest that that entails.

2 hours ago, S0L said:

Luckily someone uploaded one where it works :)

Cheers. That gives me a MUCH better impression of the game. Looks full-on action always on the move, especially if you're going for high scores. I could see those challenges being a huge time-sink for me.

I can't wait to see more about the multilayer. 

3 hours ago, HarryBizzle said:

The game is a decade old, the people who buy games consoles now probably weren't allow to play crackdown in 2007.

You have to be over the age of 25 now to have been legally allowed to purchase that game 10 years ago.

The legality wasn't the important part, I was playing GTA when I was 15.

All I'm saying is that 10 years is a long time, a huge % of people will have never played it because they may have been super young and/or just never played it as it never sold mega numbers

It's the same deal with Beyond good and Evil 2, there are 50x the number of console owners who haven't played the first than there are people who have played it.

It looks fucking great but it, for me anyway highlights how good the 360 was. It looked great, what, eleven years ago now. I mean this is obviously much better graphically and I expect game physics wise but that old 360 could sure push out some sweet visuals. No wonder that gen lasted so long. 

I might be in the minority here, but there's something about Crackdown 3 that seems off to me. 

Don't get me wrong, I love the franchise and the first Crackdown game still remains in my personal top 10 X360 games ever and I liked the sequel far more than the average joe. 

I watched a live stream on IGN last night. Three guys were alternating playing a timed mode, I think it was "how much can you do in 20 minutes" kinda thing. Overall the game looks far less interesting than the previous two games, at least based on what I saw during that live stream. 

What I registered while watching was these things: 

The city itself looks dull as fuck and looks nothing like a city at all. It's just random blocks with textures representing buildings, but there are no distinct regions, streets or points of interest. Even the first game, which wasn't a graphical powerhouse when it was released, managed to represent a city layout that was somewhat believable with a beach, bay area, harbour with industry, housing projects, shopping districts, corporate districts etc. 

The stream kept on spewing out the same copy +paste buildings in every direction the players went and it all just seemed like a random mess. 

I know the game isn't completed and there might be an update on the city layout before release, but the stream didn't actually sell it to me at all. 

Another thing I disliked, and this surprised even me, was the insane amount of weapons available. On every corner of each rooftop was a new weapon, and they all seemed very meh for the most part. Numerous versions of SMGs, shotguns, pistols, RPGs etc, it looked like it was overcrammed with weapons which actually made me wish they'd used the originals more basic selection. 

Last, but not least, where's the fucking daylight. Every video, stream and image I've seen from the game has been night time only. I have nothing agains night time in video games, but always running around in the dark will make me quite bothered in the long run. 

Here's me hoping a lot will be changed before final release, because Crackdown 3 is still a game I'm really hoping will help MS shift a lot of hardware. 

19 minutes ago, Rayn said:

Another thing I disliked, and this surprised even me, was the insane amount of weapons available. On every corner of each rooftop was a new weapon, and they all seemed very meh for the most part. Numerous versions of SMGs, shotguns, pistols, RPGs etc, it looked like it was overcrammed with weapons which actually made me wish they'd used the originals more basic selection.

I've got no idea, but it's not uncommon for these sorts of demos to feature accelerated levelling up and the like so you get to play with the best toys. It's possible they've deliberately ramped how many goodies there are to make sure everyone gets a toy.

On 6/14/2017 at 12:58, Mr. Gerbik said:

I thought this on the night of the various conferences. Surely the publishers must have someone that helps devs come up with some exciting footage.  The MS ones were flatter than the others.  Ubi's and Nintendo's were awesome.  Sony mixed bag.   

Crackdown in that stream looks awesome!

It is a shame there isn't much environmental destruction apart from cars and streetlights.

I mean, the Xbox One has more than ten times the usable memory of the 360, and lots more CPU/GPU power, surely some rudimentary building destruction could have been added? I'd rather the graphics or size of the city be scaled back to have that. Perhaps they'd get rebuilt or regenerate after a certain time to avoid ruining the game, but it'd be so much fun to work towards that level of power in the game.