rllmuk
Yoshimax

Crackdown 3

Had a quick blast before and didn’t really notice too much difference with the orbs. Found one hidden orb which was fairly loud, but I still had to be very close to it :huh:

Just now, Paulando said:

Had a quick blast before and didn’t really notice too much difference with the orbs. Found one hidden orb which was fairly loud, but I still had to be very close to it :huh:

Yeah I found two I hadn't got, and didn't notice anything different. 

Being free didn’t do this game any favours then?

i nearly went back to it today, because I’m not getting on with Prey, but no...

1 minute ago, Fry Crayola said:

What are you saying, exactly? You don't like the game because (no reason given)?

Exactly.

It’s the weirdest thing: somewhere between not doing enough to push the series forward, aside from the improved graphics, combined with no “investment” in the ownership of the title because it was “free”, means I have no reason to play this.

I can’t find the... urge to play it. There’s been nothing in this thread that relays the same sort of joy that’s there in the first game. “It gets better” is no guarantee of anything. I should persevere. I liked the first two games. I don’t feel it in the third title.

Maybe it’s fatigue. Maybe it’s the Game Pass.

• Upvote 1

Had lots of fun with this. Easily in my top 5 games this year. No boring story bits, un-skippable cutscenes, or slow walking bits; just non-stop blasting, jumping around like a superhero, gaining XP, and collecting orbs. Exactly what it should have been.

It does get better after the admittedly confusing tutorial area, but the original Crackdown didn’t click for me for a good while either.

Reviewers criticised it for being dated, or because “games have moved on”, but they’re still full of the same pre-scripted elements, straight-to-video writing, fetch quests, and endless inventory management. It’s all the same guff but with fancier graphics, and there’s plenty of room for uncomplicated romps like Crackdown.

• Upvote 6

I actually loaded this up last night thanks to the thread getting bumped. Figured that update would give me a chance to find those last 3 agility orbs. 

I didn't find them. :angry:

The wingsuit is great though. My agent has maxed out agility so it's easy to gain enough altitude to pop the wings and start flying.

For all the flaws the game has none can really take away from the fact that Jaxxon is a fun toy to play with.

Yeah, and some of the weapons...

devastator, full clip into a single enemy (in my case one of the stompy robot) unlocks an achievement.

couple more monorail stations, a couple of Chem factories, the big drills... trying different load-outs.

did a rooftop race that was fastest down or something. That was fun. Check-pointed falling with style.

10 hours ago, SeanR said:

The jump pad makes easy work of my least favourite part of the game though:

Propaganda tower platforming

i am not a fan.

You should have tried them before the checkpoints were added :) *Shivers*

Unless they've added even more checkpoints to them since launch then I doubt you have. They had checkpoints on day one. 

With the exception of one level four tower which was a bit awkward due to the camera the towers were some of the most fun challenges in the game. Utterly trivial on subsequent playthroughs though. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, bear said:

Unless they've added even more checkpoints to them since launch then I doubt you have. They had checkpoints on day one. 

With the exception of one level four tower which was a bit awkward due to the camera the towers were some of the most fun challenges in the game. Utterly trivial on subsequent playthroughs though. 

ok, maybe it was something else that meant I didn't play this game much between launch (via gamepass) an early this week... :coffee:

And then I finished it. Jaxxon throughout. Seemed appropriate. Which was nice.

979BDC87-9EF4-4D15-ACB1-57FD9C9CB3E6.thumb.jpeg.42c3c0d29c3305d92e5328b2c940d02a.jpeg

because, I dunno. I got sucked into the cycle of finding, destroying,  and climbing things, I guess. That’s the core gameplay, everything else is eye candy.

stop comparing it to the first two games.

might go back in and find the last couple of weapons and gadgets. 

oh, and I see orbs EVERYWHERE now.

• Upvote 2

You finished it and took a picture of the lovely Microsoft testing crew to prove it? Strange choice!

Did you max out all the skills, as you really haven't finished till you've maxed out driving. The amount of time we put into that vehicle to open up new ways of getting about and combat and everyone ignores it. *Sob* 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, S0L said:

You finished it and took a picture of the lovely Microsoft testing crew to prove it? Strange choice!

Did you max out all the skills, as you really haven't finished till you've maxed out driving. The amount of time we put into that vehicle to open up new ways of getting about and combat and everyone ignores it. *Sob* 

Problem is why would you drive when you can literally jump tall buildings in a single bound by the end of the game?

Sorry guys....

• Upvote 1

I maxed out brawling, just walking round punching people in the face and hoping my shield will hold. A few others are well over 4.5... Driving not so much,  it’s a 3 point something.

ill steal a car if I see a jump ring stunt marker thing. But I’ve got triple jump, double dash, a jump pad AND wings. To paraphrase “roads? Where we’re going we don’t need no stinking roads”

I tried to do the quarry maze race thing. But that car, the spider? Twitchy on the road, sticky on buildings and obstacles, and it flips over on the stick if you leave the road. Unpleasant. Almost as bad as the RC Copter mission in vice city.

wait, is there a way to summon vehicles?

You can summon the Agency vehicle as soon as you hit level 1. Push up on the D-Pad. Once in a vehicle change from with left and right on the D-Pad as you level up your driving ability.

Why would you run and shoot a gun when you can drive a vehicle speed down a road flinging traffic out of the way, then drive up the side of a building and be more powerful than any other weapon in the game once transformed into a tank. Makes mincemeat out of bosses. Just saying. 

Or just launch it in a self destruct attack. The higher the level, the quicker you can respawn it, they're essentially large disposable bombs. Ditto if it's about to go pop, just hop out and summon a new one :P

14 hours ago, S0L said:

ok, so I got a 4.00 on driving jumping the spider through the ring on Pedro’s. And that tank. Needs a cannon auto-centre button, or something.

Also:

Tank cannon recentres if you leave the stick alone, especially if you accelerate. That was a topic of some furious debate.

I love how that collision didn't kill you :)

I think I would have preferred Warthog controls for the tank. 

I mentioned it elsewhere, but despite there being lots of other good games that I’ve played this year, this is still probably the best. I’m playing Luigi’s Mansion 3 at the moment, but otherwise this beats Outer Worlds, Gears 5 and probably Star Wars for me. 

• Upvote 1

Yep, brilliant fun. Easily in my top five of the year, which I haven’t got round to posting in the dedicated thread yet.

Jim Sterling featured it in his ‘top ten shittiest games of the year’ video, with another mention of games having moved so far on since the first Crackdown, yet he gives no suggestions for how it could have been any different.

• Upvote 3