rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Mentazm

Darkest Dungeon

I really enjoyed it up until the final 4 quests, they killed my interest in it. I'd probably enjoy starting from scratch and going through it all again. 

I'm really getting into this on my iPad. There's still obviously a load of things I need to figure out but it's so good. I did a run on my lunch break that I thought was going to break down during the first fight but I pulled through and the run got better and better to the point where my dog owner guy was almost cheerful at the end and my healer gained a positive trait.

The big problem I ran into was the limited range of healers. Once you get into Quest levels 4 and 5, you can't survive without healing because you take so much damage each fight that you use up your food quickly. The priest and occultist are pretty good but if they die or get shunted around, things can spiral out of control quickly, in and out of the dungeons.

The other reason I gave up was from getting teamwiped a few times in the higher level dungeons, and just having to grind up levels again with new heroes to try again. And as you pretty much need two full rosters to switch between, that's a lot of grind.

Apparently, though they patched it last year to half the time it takes to reach the final quest. But its one of those games where it's very hard to get back into if you stop for any length of time. I think Switch is the perfect platform for it though, it's a great game to hop into for a half hour dungeon at a time.

I’m really enjoying this. I keep doing the first quest again and again with no actual idea what I’m doing, but it’s fun non the less. 

24 minutes ago, carlospie said:

I’m really enjoying this. I keep doing the first quest again and again with no actual idea what I’m doing, but it’s fun non the less. 

It'll click, and then it'll probably take over your life for a little bit.

Then you'll have your first major wipe-out, and you'll get really fucked off.

But then you'll embrace the cosmic will of the universe and remember that all the warriors are just mere tools to get more loot and rid the place of the nasty shit.

And then it'll take over your life a little more :P

• Upvote 4

19 hours ago, Alan Stock said:

I think Switch is the perfect platform for it though, it's a great game to hop into for a half hour dungeon at a time.

I've primarily played this on my Vita, and you're right, it works wonderfully as a hop in/hop out mobile game.

• Upvote 1

In accordance with the deep ones wishes, I've been playing more of this and managing to get through scores of the hired help.

I'm not entirely sure what it says about me that out of all the games I've played, this utter curve-ball of a game (inasmuch as it's so out of place with the rest of the collection!) always pulls me back in for a few more rounds. It's utterly captivating, despite it really should make me throw my keyboard and mouse out the window in frustration.

Yet, I'm genuinely never frustrated with it.

It's the closest a game has come to a bizarre religious experience :p 

And the new DLC campaign is edging ever closer!!! 

Yay!

Been playing this again myself recently on the switch. Trying to beat bloodmoon difficulty but the RNG can be soul destroying. Started a new game after the one before felt like it wasn't going to be successful (too many deaths, too much stress on the survivors and not enough money to turn things around) then promptly had Reynauld killed by an unlucky critical hit on the old road...

3 minutes ago, VN1X said:

What are Camping Skills and when do they activate? 

Basically, they're stat boosters for longer missions where you'll effectively have a sleep-over in a particular area. In which case, you can do all sorts of fun things. Don't even worry about upgrading them until way later in the game though...you'll need all your money and other stuff for much more pressing things ;)

• Upvote 1

Thanks for the help! :)

Going to call it quits for this evening though. About 2 hours in so far and it all feels a lot more RNG than I had anticipated. Is that lessened over time or?

9 minutes ago, VN1X said:

Thanks for the help! :)

Going to call it quits for this evening though. About 2 hours in so far and it all feels a lot more RNG than I had anticipated. Is that lessened over time or?

It definitely feels like it at the start I guess. You kind of have to get into the state of mind of ploughing on, give up in any attempt to have a favourite team and accept the fact that everyone will die in the service of the greater good. By which I mean just have fucking loads of people on the go. It’s remarkably easy to get people up to speed, but having plenty of folk available means that when the inevitable wipeout happens, you just shrug and get on with it!

One other thing that I suddenly thought - if you picked up the version with the Crimson Court dlc on it, you may want to play the game without it running on a first run. It can be a pretty demoralising experience early on, as it mixes up a few gameplay elements and can punish you even more than the standard game does! Don't get me wrong, it's bloody awesome, but I found it incredibly difficult too!

2 hours ago, JoeK said:

One other thing that I suddenly thought - if you picked up the version with the Crimson Court dlc on it, you may want to play the game without it running on a first run. It can be a pretty demoralising experience early on, as it mixes up a few gameplay elements and can punish you even more than the standard game does! Don't get me wrong, it's bloody awesome, but I found it incredibly difficult too!

Nope! Bought the base game this week during the mid-week sale thingy. Was itching to get the Ancestral Edition but figured it'd be better just to get my feet wet in the main game first before trying to tackle all the other add-ons, of which there seem many! :P

So those Quirks that you, somehow, get after abandoning/completing a mission. Do they disappear after a while or are those permanent? What are the requirements for unlocking those anyway? Is that a random as well? 

8 hours ago, mansizerooster said:

Is it just me or is it impossible to level the characters up enough to get through the darkest dungeon?

Just you. It does take a lot of levelling though. Level 6 is needed/advised as is top notch weapons/armour and skills to give a decent chance.

19 minutes ago, VN1X said:

So those Quirks that you, somehow, get after abandoning/completing a mission. Do they disappear after a while or are those permanent? What are the requirements for unlocking those anyway? Is that a random as well? 

Quirks can be cured (for a price) in the sanitarium. You should try and do this to keep on top of them and stop them building up.

I believe that the likelihood of quirks occurring is related to the level of stress of the character but as with most other things there's a random element too

Week 7 and, despite replaying the easiest missions, I'm already running out of money to keep stress levels down or to buy enough provisions for missions. 

Do I press on and just have everyone stressed out or quit and start an entire new campaign?

10 hours ago, VN1X said:

Nope! Bought the base game this week during the mid-week sale thingy. Was itching to get the Ancestral Edition but figured it'd be better just to get my feet wet in the main game first before trying to tackle all the other add-ons, of which there seem many! :P

Sorry to interrupt. Been meaning to grab this for a while. Where was it/is it on sale?

9 minutes ago, mcbrady said:

Sorry to interrupt. Been meaning to grab this for a while. Where was it/is it on sale?

Mid-week sale on Steam. So no longer discounted I'm afraid. :(

You can still get it for a lower price on the grey market, at yer own risk of course. 

22 minutes ago, VN1X said:

Mid-week sale on Steam. So no longer discounted I'm afraid. :(

You can still get it for a lower price on the grey market, at yer own risk of course. 

Yeah, I figured as much. I’ll keep an eye out. Thanks man.

46 minutes ago, VN1X said:

Week 7 and, despite replaying the easiest missions, I'm already running out of money to keep stress levels down or to buy enough provisions for missions. 

Do I press on and just have everyone stressed out or quit and start an entire new campaign?

Don’t stop! Let them get stressed. If you are really sadistic, send them out without much in the way of supplies and just go treasure hunting for a bit. You might get lucky and survive it, but you might get equally lucky and they all die, but you do get to keep the gold and stuff you salvage. 

It’s best to sacrifice for the greater good.

I’m a terrible human being.

• Upvote 2

Is it possible to upgrade your inventory? Seems kind of useless to complete runs if I can't even get all of the loot from them? 

Also, any recommendations when it comes to youtube channels that teach you the ropes and/or do walkthroughs? I can barely make it out of 3 fights alive, let alone have enough provisions for the remainder of a run. 

3 minutes ago, VN1X said:

Is it possible to upgrade your inventory? Seems kind of useless to complete runs if I can't even get all of the loot from them? 

Also, any recommendations when it comes to youtube channels that teach you the ropes and/or do walkthroughs? I can barely make it out of 3 fights alive, let alone have enough provisions for the remainder of a run. 

Not sure about any youtube channels, but there are some decent guides around I believe.

As for the inventory, you can't upgrade, and I think that's a big part of the game - it's actively goading you into *not* taking certain things with you so you can get more booty. I very rarely take much in the way of potions, will sometime risk a shorter journey with minimal food and torchlight (sometimes none at all if the heroes in question are particularly stressed out). I guess it's all part of fun (or utter frustration!) of it!

39 minutes ago, JoeK said:

Not sure about any youtube channels, but there are some decent guides around I believe.

As for the inventory, you can't upgrade, and I think that's a big part of the game - it's actively goading you into *not* taking certain things with you so you can get more booty. I very rarely take much in the way of potions, will sometime risk a shorter journey with minimal food and torchlight (sometimes none at all if the heroes in question are particularly stressed out). I guess it's all part of fun (or utter frustration!) of it!

So you're just sending heroes out to die? To what end; Building upgrades? What happens if your entire party is wiped out? 

About 4 hours in and I'm constantly having to spend money to get stress levels down and to buy provisions, without making any progress whatsoever (bar the occasional Building upgrade). I feel like I should read up on some tutorials and start an entire new game. 

Coming from Slay the Spire to this is rough btw. Combat in Darkest Dungeon takes fucking forever and I wish there was a way to speed it up. It also seems incredibly RNG even down to turn order, which is off putting to be honest. 

29 minutes ago, VN1X said:

So you're just sending heroes out to die? To what end; Building upgrades? What happens if your entire party is wiped out? 

About 4 hours in and I'm constantly having to spend money to get stress levels down and to buy provisions, without making any progress whatsoever (bar the occasional Building upgrade). I feel like I should read up on some tutorials and start an entire new game. 

So, to my mind the key thing about the way to play the game is you need to get a nice flow of heroes coming into the town as soon as possible, and open up the amounts of heroes you can have on your roster. Haven't played for a little while now, but I'm fairly sure I have around 4 of most of the different types of character going (there are some I don't particularly like using, but I think this is open to player choice more than anything else). I always a fair few on upper levels, and I have a whole load on lower ones - they effectively are the main cannon fodder who can go into the easier dungeons and get a nice steady amount of loot for further upgrades of the town. 

But it's taken me hours to get to a stage I'm confident with the game and how I play, and whilst there's a whole load of randomness involved you kind of learn to work around it.

I guess the problem you might have is if you play these sorts of game regularly though - I've had absolutely nothing to compare it with as I've never got into these sorts of games before! For whatever reason it got it's hooks in me, and I've just muddled through it...that said, I'm still at a stage where I'm fairly sure I'd not be able to attempt the actual Darkest dungeons for a while yet :p

edit: even if your entire party is wiped out, there're always more heroes arriving :) . Just make sure there's a whole load coming in! Oh, and obviously pay attention to what skills they have and where they are in the line-out, as it really does make a huge difference.

• Upvote 2

Cheerio Joe! Am also about halfway through this guy's viddy and am learning a lot about the nuances in combat as well. Dis game be dense!