rllmuk
deKay

Nintendo Switch

11 minutes ago, Stejay said:

I've seen that we're kind of getting two different formats for our money used as justification too.

I can imagine, with a lot of people seeing handhelds as the natural home for indie games. It's what's kept the Vita alive all these years after all. Well, that and Japanese paedophile games.

Bringing the Vita up is often where that argument falls flat with the dozens of Vita / PS4 cross-play titles with reasonable prices. I think you nailed it with it being a ooh, the system is actually selling, let's make a fast buck now, scalping.

On 30/08/2017 at 16:46, Yiggy said:

Quick one for those with multiple country profiles on their switch. How do I stop US and Japanese items appearing in my news feed? 

I am sure there is an option but I am not sure where it is or how to disable it in each profile. 

Don't know if anyone replied to you yet but:

• Upvote 8

So my Switch (second unit, after Nintendo declined to repair the broken back plate on mine instead deciding to send out a new one sans save data after five weeks of doing nothing) has started to not properly wake up after sleeping for a while.

Happens both docked and undocked. It’ll sometimes let me access the Sleep Mode / Brightness etc menu, but the screen will otherwise be black. It then requires a hard reset before it can be powered back-on. 

Having lost 90+ hours of Zelda last time and, since repair, spent a substantial amount of time on Splatoon 2, Sonic Mania and more, I’m incredibly reluctant to send the thing back to Nintendo’s “Repair” Centre without a cast iron guarantee that it gets back to me within a calendar week, all data intact.

I really, really enjoy the games on this thing but with Nintendo’s oddball and frankly unforgivable 1986 approach to save data, I fear I’m going to lose everything again, and there’s less than zero chance I’ll be back after that.

• Upvote 3

Anyone else have a real struggle getting these things to connect to their wireless network?  Any time I reboot the router it refuses to automatically reconnect and it takes ages to get it attached again.  Fucking drives me mad.

1 hour ago, Nathan Wind said:

Anyone else have a real struggle getting these things to connect to their wireless network?  Any time I reboot the router it refuses to automatically reconnect and it takes ages to get it attached again.  Fucking drives me mad.

Only had issues with a Homehub 5 and 5GHz. Wouldn't connect half the time even when the Switch and the router were physically touching. Not unique to the Switch though - Homehubs are notoriously bad for wireless. My iPhone suffers similarly.

All fixed connecting to 2.4GHz instead, though.

Aye, I had problems connecting to my Home hub when I first got the Switch so had to mess with the settings so it wasn't 5HGz or something like that. Been fine since. 

8 minutes ago, deKay said:

Only had issues with a Homehub 5 and 5GHz. Wouldn't connect half the time even when the Switch and the router were physically touching. Not unique to the Switch though - Homehubs are notoriously bad for wireless. My iPhone suffers similarly.

All fixed connecting to 2.4GHz instead, though.

Netgear here. It's the only thing that arses about like this, phone and iPad are fine as was the PS4 before I went wired with it.  I can get it to connect again, but I have to reboot the router with the Switch a few feet away, and enter the password two or three times.  It's really annoying.  I wondered if my router was possibly on the way out or something.

I've just stuck it on the 5GHz network actually.  It's the only device on it so I thought I might get a more solid connection.  What problems were you having with 5GHz? Just the initial connection or was it dropping during use too?

Just now, Nathan Wind said:

What problems were you having with 5GHz?

It would constantly disconnect, often only reconnecting if I restarted the Switch.

Often it'd say I was connected, but as soon as I went into the eShop, it'd change its mind.

Not a single problem now it's on 2.4GHz.

Just now, deKay said:

It would constantly disconnect, often only reconnecting if I restarted the Switch.

Often it'd say I was connected, but as soon as I went into the eShop, it'd change its mind.

Not a single problem now it's on 2.4GHz.

Will see how it goes then.  It's the first time I've even turned the 5GHz network on.

Just now, Nathan Wind said:

Will see how it goes then.  It's the first time I've even turned the 5GHz network on.

I'm sure my issue is with 5GHz on a Homehub not my Switch or 5GHz in general. As I said, my iPhone complains too.

I've had a day of it today, with technology.  I was in no mood for farting about with wifi problems this evening and the Switch came close to getting snapped in half.  Then I got it going and played Mario V Rabbids for the first time and all was forgiven.  Stupid lovely Nintendo.  I hate them, but I love them so.

21 hours ago, Rain Birds said:

I really, really enjoy the games on this thing but with Nintendo’s oddball and frankly unforgivable 1986 approach to save data, I fear I’m going to lose everything again, and there’s less than zero chance I’ll be back after that.

I'd been enjoying my Switch from launch until, a couple of weeks ago, it refused to come out of sleep mode. Lots of hard resets, and a couple of futile "I'll completely drain the battery just in case that helps", failed to ever get it past the Nintendo Switch logo screen again. I sent it off to Nintendo with no promises regarding when a repaired or replaced machine would be sent back or if I'll get to keep my saved games.

The whole episode has kind of soured me on the console despite being a borderline Nintendo fanboy. It was absurd to think that even buying a new Switch to replace the faulty console wouldn't have fixed the problem. The saved games would be lost and (as far as I know) I wouldn't even be able to transfer my accounts - and all of those digital games that I bought - across to the new console without deactivating them on the old one first. The old one which no longer even gets to the home screen. I'd hope that Nintendo could ultimately do something about that problem and get the accounts onto a new machine but, you know, none of this should really be a problem in the first place. The 3DS isn't perfect but at least saved games are on the cartridges; that feature alone makes it a lot easier to deal with a broken machine. Or to justify the unnecessary purchase of a Samus edition console; at least I could actually use it with my games and their saves, even if I can still only have all of my digital games on one 3DS console at a time. And you can back up saved games for digital games as well, IIRC.

If you got this far, apologies for what basically amounts to just stating the obvious. The guy I spoke to when I called to arrange the console repair immediately went into a spiel about saved games and how they might (or might not) be able to avoid losing them so, at some level, they're obviously aware that this is an issue which people care about. I assume that things will get better at some point but for the moment it's a shame that Nintendo are currently so backward in this area. And that the only thing you can do to avoid losing all of your saved games is just hope that your console doesn't break :(

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Santas Boyfriend said:

If you got this far, apologies for what basically amounts to just stating the obvious. The guy I spoke to when I called to arrange the console repair immediately went into a spiel about saved games and how they might (or might not) be able to avoid losing them so, at some level, they're obviously aware that this is an issue which people care about. I assume that things will get better at some point but for the moment it's a shame that Nintendo are currently so backward in this area. And that the only thing you can do to avoid losing all of your saved games is just hope that your console doesn't break :(

Having done a little bit of digging, it seems that if you’re returning to Nintendo America, you’ll probably get the Switch back within a week or two, save games most likely intact unless the system is fried. Nintendo UK and you’ll almost certainly receive a brand new unit after five-six weeks with no attempt made to transfer saves regardless of the fault. The issue with the console itself was, at least at that point in time, cosmetic - its faulty backplate was cracking (a fairly common Switch issue). Nintendo's advice was to send it in and as I also had faulty Joy-Cons (broken analogue on one, the early sensor issue on the other), I did so, which was a terrible error.

Regarding the problem with my second Switch, I initialised the system without deleting save data (power down completely and then back on while holding both volume buttons) and haven’t had the issue today, but we shall see...

1 hour ago, g wings said:

Same. Never had any issues.

Nor have I on my Linksys kit, stuff at work or the Talk Talk box-o-shite at my inlaws. Homehub 4 and 5 though? Tae fuck.

Are those people with major problems like dead consoles (not just joycon issues) taking them back to the point of sale at all? For a swap?

I know that they may try and say that they or you need to send it off but some retailers may well do a swap if they have stock? Are they obliged to? 

Could someone with Neo Geo knowledge tell me which is the best shoot em up available on the eshop? Either horizontal or vertical. Are they all much of a muchness, or are there any outstanding ones? Ta.

Nintendo really needs to get their thumbs out of their bottoms to allow you to back up your saves to USB. 

Sad to hear about people's consoles messing up. If you connect your Nintendo account to a new switch can you then go ahead and download your digital purchases or are there still more hoops to jump through?

• Upvote 2

38 minutes ago, Doctor Shark said:

I knew the switch cartridges were asking for trouble: I've lost my copy of Splatoon 2. >:(

Buy a new copy and see your old one miraculously show up in some random spot, in a few months. :hat:

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, VN1X said:

Buy a new copy and see your old one miraculously show up in some random spot, in a few months. :hat:

Could always just go digital this time :D

2 hours ago, Doctor Shark said:

I knew the switch cartridges were asking for trouble: I've lost my copy of Splatoon 2. >:(

Is it in the Switch?