Nintendo Switch

On 18/09/2020 at 12:23, retroed said:

Thanks I just ordered.

Charging £9 for delivery and then not being next day kinda left a bad taste in my mouth.

It better be packed in solid gold for that price.

3 hours ago, Sprite Machine said:

Brand new Switch owner here. :D

Quick question(s), screen protector: do I need one, and which one is good?

I’m not a fan of screen protectors  myself on anything, but the Switch has a plastic screen and I do have to say my launch model has got pretty scratched from lifting it in and out of the dock. That said though, the scratches are only on the bezel and the screen itself is fine, so doesn’t really bother me.

6 hours ago, Sprite Machine said:

Brand new Switch owner here. :D

Quick question(s), screen protector: do I need one, and which one is good?

Yeah get one, I’ve had one on mine since I took it out of the box, just go for something cheap as it’ll only get minor wear and tear provided you keep it docked or in a case. 

I didn't bother with a screen protector for my launch Switch; I play 99% of the time in handheld mode and drop it into the Dock to charge each night. Haven't had any scratches on it.

My first set of joycon did start to drift severely late last year though.

3 hours ago, joffocakes said:

I didn't bother with a screen protector for my launch Switch; I play 99% of the time in handheld mode and drop it into the Dock to charge each night. Haven't had any scratches on it.

My first set of joycon did start to drift severely late last year though.

Screen protector will sort that right out.

I have had my Switch almost 2 weeks now and I'm honestly pretty disappointed in the experience compared to my Wii U. Obviously what I have to say is from my perspective and others may disagree with me.

The default joy-con controllers I find to be absolutely terrible. The analogue sticks have next to no travel, the buttons are small, there is no D-pad, they feel flimsy and the controller attachment you get is the most uncomfortable controller I have ever used. I also find the Switch awkward to hold when undocked as my hands get cramped after about 30 minutes.

I bought a pro controller which I like but it is no use in hand held mode which means my Switch is always docked. This takes away one of the main selling points of the console, the ability to switch from TV to hand held, I have been looking at grip attachments but it almost feels like I have to spend £100 on top of the console just to be able to comfortably play it.

Something else that irritates me is the lack of manuals for the SNES and NES games, on the Wii U you have the manual available to read there on the gamepad/tv as you play the game, there is no need to pick up your phone and go to external sites.

3 hours ago, Mallet said:

I bought a pro controller which I like but it is no use in hand held mode which means my Switch is always docked. This takes away one of the main selling points of the console, the ability to switch from TV to hand held, I have been looking at grip attachments but it almost feels like I have to spend £100 on top of the console just to be able to comfortably play it

You may want to consider:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hori-Split-Black-Nintendo-Switch/dp/B08FJ7XY3B/ref=pd_lpo_63_t_0/257-9674964-8162727?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B08FJ7XY3B&pd_rd_r=27bba1ce-a121-4f00-9128-daaba3b7baf4&pd_rd_w=kxEH1&pd_rd_wg=Y5d0M&pf_rd_p=7b8e3b03-1439-4489-abd4-4a138cf4eca6&pf_rd_r=BBHWTEHER3WX68RNFZX8&psc=1&refRID=BBHWTEHER3WX68RNFZX8

I've not used it because it's ludicrous but people here like it?

12 hours ago, Alex W. said:

It's so much better than the grips that they are a total waste of money when this is available. The buttons and triggers are also so much better than the Joycons that you might as well sell them. 

Usual caveat, no rumble or NFS but you'll be too busy enjoying pressing actual buttons and using a proper analogue stick to give a shit. 

Just to add to the conversation @Sprite Machine, I use a screen protector and there are scratch marks up and down both sides of the screen. 

For anyone who struggles with the price of a pro controller - I’ve got a couple of 8bitdo pads, which are a fraction of the price but brilliant build quality. They can’t wake the console from sleep and they sometimes refuse to pair until the 20th attempt, but other than that they’re fantastic. 

I also got one of their Bluetooth adapters, so I can use the DualShock 4 as well. And yet I still want a pro pad!

On 27/09/2020 at 21:49, Popo said:

They can’t wake the console from sleep and they sometimes refuse to pair until the 20th attempt, but other than that they’re fantastic. 

This is my experience with the official Pro controller a decent amount of the time.

I’m currently away with work 4 nights a week and take my Switch. I’m sure it’s been discussed before, but what’s my best option for plugging into a tv while I’m away. I don’t want to bring the dock away with me, but it would be nice to be able to hook it up to tv where I stay.