Nintendo Switch

1 hour ago, Hello Goaty ♥ said:

Do Amazon still not charge you for pre-orders? because thats an option i reckon!    ( for the Game and Watch )

EDIT -  Oh and i spotted that the Nintendo Store one is payment on dispatch too!  win/win

And now out of stock! - I managed to preorder one last night. :omg:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-09-09/nintendo-said-to-boost-switch-production-by-another-20

Nintendo Co. has asked its assembly partners to increase production of its Switch gaming console again, raising its goal to as much as 30 million units for this fiscal year, according to people familiar with its strategy.

and

The introduction of a more affordable Switch Lite variant in late 2019 helped broaden the machine’s potential audience and Nintendo is making preparations for an upgraded Switch model and a beefed-up games lineup for 2021, Bloomberg News has reported. Several outside game developers, speaking anonymously as the issue is private, said that Nintendo has asked them to make their games 4K-ready, suggesting a resolution upgrade is on its way.

rumourklaxon.gif.69a424da970cbc12b64fc44c2f165285.gif

In theory I’m totally prepared to buy a 4K Switch but you just know Nintendo won’t have improved the experience of moving everything from one device to another or sharing content between the consoles. I want something seamless but it won’t happen.

I'm up for anything Switch related, but just releasing an updated model that does 4k wouldn't appear a very Nintendo move on the face of it.

I'll assume they will want to keep full back compatibility to the library, which already has to  work across the original and lite models, and just adding 4k texture packs to current games isn't that appealing, especially as a % of play is handheld and that screen is unlikely to be 4k.

They don't really ever sell on hardware power so a Switch Pro with more processing adds what exactly to the end user in terms of software - will we see enhanced versions of new games, say a Mario Kart 9 that is enhanced on the Switch Pro beyond just resolution ? Doesn't sound very Nintendo.

Oh and the method to transfer saves from the old machine will involve a Labo style affair where you fold some paper cups to insert into a port and attach them with string between the machines. 

53 minutes ago, Eighthours said:

I'm well up for a 4K Switch, assuming there's a way to transfer across my digital library that isn't too horrific.

There already is one that works OK.

31 minutes ago, Eighthours said:

Doubtless, but an even nicer looking redesign, hopefully with Joycons that aren't prone to drifting, plus shinier visuals? Sign me up!

I was talking about the digital library transfer.

Unless you mean HD Pikmin to shuttle stuff, in which case I'd buy a new one just for that.

I suspect the new Switch will just have some fast inbuilt upscaling in it (like XBox Series S, I guess) and just enough grunt to get it up to docked level on the handheld (maybe 1080 screen). That would make it worth it for them to cut costs as they could run it off the switch handheld.

Then they just run the same library on it. No Switch+ like they've done in the past. Just what exists running better. 

...all this, and they'll not upgrade the joycons. Because everything has to be a little off with them.  

10 hours ago, Gotters said:

I'm up for anything Switch related, but just releasing an updated model that does 4k wouldn't appear a very Nintendo move on the face of it.

I'll assume they will want to keep full back compatibility to the library, which already has to  work across the original and lite models, and just adding 4k texture packs to current games isn't that appealing, especially as a % of play is handheld and that screen is unlikely to be 4k.

They don't really ever sell on hardware power so a Switch Pro with more processing adds what exactly to the end user in terms of software - will we see enhanced versions of new games, say a Mario Kart 9 that is enhanced on the Switch Pro beyond just resolution ? Doesn't sound very Nintendo.

Oh and the method to transfer saves from the old machine will involve a Labo style affair where you fold some paper cups to insert into a port and attach them with string between the machines. 

It was going so well until your last paragraph. 

I need to fix the drift on two of my Joycons and don't want to be without them for the time it takes to wait for Nintendo to do it.

Can anyone recommend a seller for the kits? There's tons of them on eBay and it's difficult to know where to start.

I also need an SL/SR button thing because one of those has stopped working too.

1 hour ago, strawdonkey said:

I need to fix the drift on two of my Joycons and don't want to be without them for the time it takes to wait for Nintendo to do it.

Can anyone recommend a seller for the kits? There's tons of them on eBay and it's difficult to know where to start.

I also need an SL/SR button thing because one of those has stopped working too.

I've fixed my own and my sons joycons.  The joycon drift was solved using wd-40 contact cleaner and I replcaed the ribbon on one using a kit from amazon which cost about 12 quid and came with the screwdrivers required (decent quality as well - can't grumble at the price).  

Bought these ones https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07P9YLM3H/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I'm absolutely hopeless at anything remotely approaching DIY - but I managed this fine myself following a decent ribbon replacement youtube video.  Make sure you get tweezers and you're sorted.

20 hours ago, the_debaser said:

BOTW 2 on a new switch. That moment will mark the peak of human existence. 

If they can get BotW running at 4k and at 60fps I’ll buy one in a flash. 

7 hours ago, JoeK said:

If they can get BotW running at 4k and at 60fps I’ll buy one in a flash. 

in handheld mode, no less. I'm one of the few peons who doesn't get Zelda. but a 4k 60fps handheld Zelda? That I'd try.

For a "4K switch" what we could be looking at is DLSS being used. One of the reasons this might be used is that newer Tegra line chips from Nvidia actually have the tensor cores needed for DLSS, albeit in limited numbers. However they are still a few years old and any new tegra chip could fit in more cores and still boast extra power over the current switch while remaining within the current power envelope.