rllmuk
deKay

Nintendo Switch

23 hours ago, mdn2 said:

The third is definitely the low point of the series. I don't think I've ever had such a large disconnect between review scores and my own personal opinion. Personally, I'd rate two the best, the one, then Infinite is about a mile below both. 2 has the best moment to moment gameplay and mixes up the tonics well. The first game had the best story, but I always return to the second game.

I really wanted to like 3, and it had some wonderful parts to it, but the wave shooting was only surpassed in awfulness by the 'both-sides'ism that completely marred the story.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, MattyP said:

Insanity. So what are you actually buying when you buy the physical thing? Essentially a code to download the games? Waste of plastic and resources... :( The collection may as well be sold as a digital only code.

Pretty much.  It's almost worse having a small cart than no cart.

13 minutes ago, probotector said:

Starwars Pod Racer is out this week?

The game is over 20 years old.

Fuck me.

Just delayed indefinitely due to problems in working remotely during the coronavirus pandemic.

• Empathy 1

We’re going to get my daughter one of these. I’d like to be able to use it on the tv, so assume it’s the original switch, albeit the revised one with improved battery. Is there any indication of which is (s)witch?

I read that there won’t be a Pro version out this year, so I don’t think it’s worth waiting for that or the price of this to possibly drop in light of that. Is there anything else I should know when shopping around please?

13 minutes ago, DC said:

We’re going to get my daughter one of these. I’d like to be able to use it on the tv, so assume it’s the original switch, albeit the revised one with improved battery. Is there any indication of which is (s)witch?

I read that there won’t be a Pro version out this year, so I don’t think it’s worth waiting for that or the price of this to possibly drop in light of that. Is there anything else I should know when shopping around please?

The newer version has a box which is more red:

switchhac001-01.jpg

the older one shows a hand in the image on the box:

switchold.jpg

The Lite version is cheaper, but is purely handheld, no way of docking it and displaying it via a TV.

HTH

Edit, can read about the new different versions of the Switch (not the Lite) here

Also, this article about which version, normal or Lite is best for you.

• Upvote 2

Thanks. I’m thinking two of Minecraft, Mario Oddessy, AC or Mario Party. My daughter is 9 but also have a 14 year old who will play it too. I’d like Zelda and Mariokart, but this isn’t about me (yet). Any recommendations that I might not be aware of?

Edit: ah in classic style, I’ve picked the worst time to buy one of these. £280 from Argos for the console seems to be my best option.

34 minutes ago, DC said:

Thanks. I’m thinking two of Minecraft, Mario Oddessy, AC or Mario Party. My daughter is 9 but also have a 14 year old who will play it too. I’d like Zelda and Mariokart, but this isn’t about me (yet). Any recommendations that I might not be aware of?

Edit: ah in classic style, I’ve picked the worst time to buy one of these. £280 from Argos for the console seems to be my best option.

That’s pretty normal tbh and if they have one in stock I wouldn’t hesitate if I were you as they’ve been difficult to get hold of recently - and by that I mean move to purchase right now before they go. 

Games wise Animal Crossing is essential and then either Odyssey or Mario Kart, preferably both. 

• Upvote 2

Yep, £280 is a good price, I sold a used, unboxed, scratched one for £265 the other day.

• Upvote 2

Thanks guys. Turns out they DONT have stock. I’ll bide my time.

• Empathy 3

Just checked still insane prices on eBay and the like (£549) are PS4 and Xbox in short supply also? 

I lucked out and got one from Smyths Toys recently - they’re listed on Stock Informer but you don’t get alerts, so worth keeping a manual eye on them.  They’re ridiculously scarce at the moment. I continued getting Stock Informer alerts for a few days and they’d all gone by the time I clicked on the alert link every time - something to do with bots scooping up all the stock for price gougey resellers - bah.

Mine is for my soon-to-be 12 year old son’s birthday. Any tips on setting it up? Let’s assume we’ll probably end up with a lite too at some point for his little brother and/or me - can you share digital purchases between accounts like on PS4? Are saved games stored on the switch or on the cart? Anything else a Nintendo noob needs to know?

Oh, and do I need to lie about his age so that he can play Fortnite with his mates?

Was just thinking about the mass shortage of Switches, and think Nintendo have missed a trick here by not rereleasing the Wii U as 'The Lockdown Switch', the one you can't take out but you are staying at home anyway.

There are plenty of the same games, for cheaper prices too. 

In all seriousness, the Wii U for £65 or whatever it is is a very viable alternative to the Switch, while there is this shortage of them. I fired up SM3DW yesterday, and forgot how good it is. Going to revisit The Wonderful 101 later today I think.

• Upvote 1

Keep an open tab on Stock Informer set it to bleep any time there’s a page update, rather than relying on their emailed alerts. I haven’t had to hunt for a Switch but I’m pretty sure that’s how I managed to nail my PSVR a few years back.

• Upvote 1

I also set up an alert with Nintendo UK, they must surely be first in line to get some?

My youngest has now said she doesn’t even want a Switch. It’s too late for that though, the wheels are in motion.

• Upvote 1

So Tesco had an Animal Crossing one, which I have provisionally purchased. There’s nothing less good about that one is there? Google says it has the improved battery life. I guess the only ‘downside’ is AC being a code...

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, DC said:

So Tesco had an Animal Crossing one, which I have provisionally purchased. There’s nothing less good about that one is there? Google says it has the improved battery life. I guess the only ‘downside’ is AC being a code...

Got the Animal Crossing Switch, and the battery lasts ages.

• Upvote 2

25 minutes ago, DC said:

Youve won a watch there, the AC Switch is so hot right now. 

You’ve absolutely nailed it @DC. That AC Switch is a thing of beauty.

Oh, and AC being a download code is actually a huge plus. That game begs to be permanently installed and accessible at any time without the faff of tiny cart swapping for “quick dips” in and “out” (he says after 200+ hours of Animal Crossing submergance)

• Upvote 5

You could even buy that AC one, sell it for a profit and then buy a normal one when they come back in stock. 

45 minutes ago, Stanley said:

You could even buy that AC one, sell it for a profit and then buy a normal one when they come back in stock. 

Ah this isn’t how I roll, thanks though.

This is wonderful isn’t it? I’m already thinking of getting Mario Party and two more controllers. We’ve played a bit of Snipperclips and my daughter loves it. Is it good or does the novelty wear off? Any other good party / local multiplayer games for us?

• Upvote 2

I love my AC switch. The only thing wrong with it is Isabelle should be on the dock.

1 hour ago, DC said:

Ah this isn’t how I roll, thanks though.

This is wonderful isn’t it? I’m already thinking of getting Mario Party and two more controllers. We’ve played a bit of Snipperclips and my daughter loves it. Is it good or does the novelty wear off? Any other good party / local multiplayer games for us?

Yeah I’d keep it myself - it’s a lovely bit of kit that AC one.

Multiplayer wise Overcooked is great fun especially if you’re considering more joycons, Mario Kart is amazing, and Mario Party is good fun too although takes at least an hour to play. 

Did you pick up any other games with your Switch? Can’t imagine your children playing much else mind once they get going on Animal Crossing - I don’t get a look in anymore :hmm:

• Upvote 1

Nothing as yet. Think I’ll resist the urge for Zelda and try and use this to bring us all together doing something with multiplayer stuff.

Heave ho is my favourite local co op game on switch, it's hilarious and avoids the frustration/stress of Overcooked. Both is the best option though of course!

• Upvote 2

In that case I’d strongly suggest Mario Kart above anything else, it’s just the best. 

Just now, Jackson said:

Heave ho is my favourite local co op game on switch, it's hilarious and avoids the frustration/stress of Overcooked. Both is the best option though of course!

What’s Heave Ho? Too many games on Switch! 

1 minute ago, Stanley said:

What’s Heave Ho? Too many games on Switch! 

It is indeed amazing. Me and my other half spent an evening on it the other week. It's hilarious. 

• Upvote 1