rllmuk
deKay

Nintendo Switch

1 minute ago, Alex W. said:

Hmm, do I spent £40 extra to get Smash or Zelda, or just stick with the Mario Kart and Mario Odyssey I’ve already bought for now? I know the sensible answer and I have a raft of upcoming games and indie goodness to get to anyway.

Breath of the Wild is one of the best games I've ever played, so my advice is to buy both Smash and Zelda..

• Upvote 2

I'm in for a Lite as I liked what I've seen of a Switch but couldn't justify either the price or having another desktop form console, I absolutely loved my DS and 3DS so making a pure handheld version and knocking it south of £200 is perfect. Hoping to see some bundles available for Zelda or Mario Odyssey in particular when it's released, playing a bit of catchup on this thread and the one for the games itself looks like I'm in for an absolute treat.

• Upvote 1

I've finally got round to playing the Champion's Ballad DLC for Breath of the Wild. And promptly just got lost in the game again revisiting areas and finding more shrines and things I'd never seen before. I wondered if it would still be as good going back, but if anything it's simply got better with age, like a fine wine. There is simply nothing else like it, it's Nintendo at the top of their game and has an attention to detail that other games can only dream of.

• Upvote 7

I have a mate who plays entirely in handheld and I can't understand it. The games look fucking brilliant on the big telly. I've got a 55" 4K job and sit about a metre away and stuff like ARMS and Splatoon and MK8D and Odyssey look outstanding. You're missing so much playing these in handheld. I mean, he played 200 hours of BotW in handheld and never once on the telly and I think why didn't you slide the fuckin thing down a grid and poison yourself to death you idiot. 

Bezzies. 

• Upvote 1

Breath of The Wild is great in handheld, just being able to continue playing anywhere, but it really comes alive in TV mode - those vistas :wub:

• Upvote 1

Having handheld option is great. Some games are perfect for it. 

But not much beats sitting down with the Pro controller and the switch on a massive oled and decent sound turned up. 

• Upvote 1

I've downloaded the DQ demo - after playing Xenoblade it really feels like a step back, but I'm willing to forgive it's older school ways but almost every character being cross eyed is really doing my nut.  I can't see past it.  Does this change?

Playing in tabletop mode with a pro controller or split joycons is also a very pleasant way to use it, particularly on flights, in coffee shops etc. The lack of a kickstand on the Lite makes this trickier to achieve, not to mention the lack of detachable joycons.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, scottcr said:

I've downloaded the DQ demo - after playing Xenoblade it really feels like a step back, but I'm willing to forgive it's older school ways but almost every character being cross eyed is really doing my nut.  I can't see past it.  Does this change?

Stick with it, the characters and story are brilliant and the turn based combat becomes very relaxing and satisfying, it's a chilled out feel good game. A word of advice, turn the music volume down to 4, IT'S SO RIDICULOUSLY LOUD, keep voices and effects at 10 though.

Enjoy :)

2 hours ago, Alex W. said:

Hmm, do I spent £40 extra to get Smash or Zelda, or just stick with the Mario Kart and Mario Odyssey I’ve already bought for now? I know the sensible answer and I have a raft of upcoming games and indie goodness to get to anyway.

I'd say that Zelda would compliment those two games superbly :).

2 hours ago, Alex W. said:

If you’re shopping for the v2 Switch at GAME they knock off a few quid at the till with any full priced game. It’s bizarrely not promoted on the shelves but if a full priced game is rung through the tills with the console it comes to £309 knocking £25 off the full retail price of the game. 

The v2 Switch has better battery life than the handheld only Lite, which sits in between the original and v2 in its battery life according to this article: 

https://www.cnet.com/how-to/nintendo-switch-lite-vs-new-switch-vs-old-switch-how-to-choose-tell-the-difference/#ftag=CAD-00-10aag7d

There really is little reason to not spend the extra £80. 

33 minutes ago, Benny said:

If you don't own Breath of the Wild and are trying to decide between it and literally anything else... I mean I'm not saying it pulled me out of depression or anything but...

Reveal hidden contents

It totally did and does. It's gaming joy in purest, distilled form.

It’s a choice between that, Smash, and forty pounds cash. I assume that not getting either would be a waste then. ;) 

I have a bundle deal figured out at a Large Faceless Retailer where I get a big discount via my employer, so fortunately I already know where I’m shopping.

13 minutes ago, Alex W. said:

It’s a choice between that, Smash, and forty pounds cash. I assume that not getting either would be a waste then. ;) 

I have a bundle deal figured out at a Large Faceless Retailer where I get a big discount via my employer, so fortunately I already know where I’m shopping.

It's no question BoTW for me. My wife finished it, and she barely plays games anymore. It's a masterpiece.

• Upvote 5

Yeah, BotW should be your first port of call. There's still nothing quite like it and I envy you getting to experience that world for the first time. 

• Upvote 5

45 minutes ago, Alex W. said:

there is absolutely no question that it should be anything other than BotW... there's a reason most folks call it the best game ever made.  

• Upvote 5

BotW flummoxed me at first (I really wasn’t used to the ‘open world’ style of gameplay), but after a couple of months of on-off play, it really grew on me in a way few games have ever had in decades of playing them. It’s a must-own for anyone with a Switch.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, PeteJ said:

I'm now the proud owner of the new Nintendo Switch with Zelda :D

Bought it from Game, and you do indeed get a discount if bought with a game (£25 off? Something like that).

Quick question, I've got a spare 32gb SD card - is there a way to transfer saves from this one to a bigger one when I pick it up?

Saves are on the internal storage (and, in most cases, in cloud storage if you pay for the online service), not your SD card. Transferring games and screenshots etc to a new SD card is no problem.

Okay, one last thing now I’ve figured out where in the living room this is going and have ordered a case and screen protector, are Curry’s any worse than anywhere else for ordering a console from? I’m getting 9% off.

9 hours ago, Alex W. said:

Okay, one last thing now I’ve figured out where in the living room this is going and have ordered a case and screen protector, are Curry’s any worse than anywhere else for ordering a console from? I’m getting 9% off.

Make sure to post your BotW impressions in the appropriate thread... it’s always great to read when new players get into it

• Upvote 3

If you don't taste the game card within the first 30 days of owning a Switch they just take it back. Because you don't deserve nice things. 

• Upvote 3