Jump to content
rllmuk
deKay

Nintendo Switch

Recommended Posts

I noticed Genki are now working on a Kickstarter for an all-in-one style plug dock. It sounds like they've done their research on it, and it would mean we get something that's hopefully a good rival to Nintendo's USB-C plug.

 

I'm tempted to back it, especially as I've heard good stuff on here in regards to their Bluetooth dongle.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Rob Rule said:

I hope this portable or TV format is something Nintendo stay with, now the hardware power is there. I imagine it'll ultimately (perhaps even as soon as the next generation) end up being the device with no need for a dock, a dongle at most doing the work. 

 

 

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Calashnikov said:

 

What a brilliant fucking article. Thanks for sharing.

I posted this in the Dreamcast thread also. I have a massive urge to play this since reading it and it's nice to see a decent article on gaming on such sites. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good people, I need a game recommendation. Work is stressing me out so I need something I can turn to for some instant gratification. By that I mean something fairly simple I can be playing in just a few moments, isn't going to frustrate the hell out of me with obscene difficulty and has some deeply slick and satisfying de-stressing core mechanic.

 

I've got Ikaruga, and while the actual blowing stuff up is pretty good, it's far too hard for this purpose, and I miss not having upgrades. So maybe some kind of easier shooter where you get increasingly tooled up? I'm not a big fan of fighting games, although if there are any scrolling brawlers you think might tick the boxes, I'm open to them. Similarly driving games - I have Mario Kart, but that's not right for this. Something arcadey, maybe? Can't be fussed with gear changes, racing lines, revs and all that nonsense.

 

But really, I think it's got to be something where stuff gets blown up, smashed or otherwise destroyed with extreme violence. If it's a relatively cheap title I can digitally download, all the better. I've played Doom/Doom 2 to death, so don't think that will satisfy me.

 

Thanks!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, g wings said:

Please don't tease us...

 

 

From this article in The Guardian looking back on Powerstone...

 

Great article, cheers!

 

The talk of experimentation put an amazing Dreamcast game in mind that I can’t really remember the details of...it was some sort of 3rd person shooter where you fought in arenas and won coins iirc - what am I talking about rllmuk?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Chosty said:

Good people, I need a game recommendation. Work is stressing me out so I need something I can turn to for some instant gratification. By that I mean something fairly simple I can be playing in just a few moments, isn't going to frustrate the hell out of me with obscene difficulty and has some deeply slick and satisfying de-stressing core mechanic.

 

I've got Ikaruga, and while the actual blowing stuff up is pretty good, it's far too hard for this purpose, and I miss not having upgrades. So maybe some kind of easier shooter where you get increasingly tooled up? I'm not a big fan of fighting games, although if there are any scrolling brawlers you think might tick the boxes, I'm open to them. Similarly driving games - I have Mario Kart, but that's not right for this. Something arcadey, maybe? Can't be fussed with gear changes, racing lines, revs and all that nonsense.

 

But really, I think it's got to be something where stuff gets blown up, smashed or otherwise destroyed with extreme violence. If it's a relatively cheap title I can digitally download, all the better. I've played Doom/Doom 2 to death, so don't think that will satisfy me.

 

Thanks!

 

 

Sky Force - shmup with levelling up

 

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Chosty said:

Good people, I need a game recommendation. Work is stressing me out so I need something I can turn to for some instant gratification. By that I mean something fairly simple I can be playing in just a few moments, isn't going to frustrate the hell out of me with obscene difficulty and has some deeply slick and satisfying de-stressing core mechanic.

 

I've got Ikaruga, and while the actual blowing stuff up is pretty good, it's far too hard for this purpose, and I miss not having upgrades. So maybe some kind of easier shooter where you get increasingly tooled up? I'm not a big fan of fighting games, although if there are any scrolling brawlers you think might tick the boxes, I'm open to them. Similarly driving games - I have Mario Kart, but that's not right for this. Something arcadey, maybe? Can't be fussed with gear changes, racing lines, revs and all that nonsense.

 

But really, I think it's got to be something where stuff gets blown up, smashed or otherwise destroyed with extreme violence. If it's a relatively cheap title I can digitally download, all the better. I've played Doom/Doom 2 to death, so don't think that will satisfy me.

 

Thanks!

 

 

I've been loving Guacamelee! Super Turbo Championship Edition on the pc this week.  Great for 20 minute blasts or a bit longer.  Only downside is the switch tax, though I imagine it would be great on the machine.  Got it for nowt on the pc a while back :)

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Chosty Virtua Racing is my go-to for that kind of des-stress gameplay. Wonderfully satisfying zone game play. 

 

I found Vostok Inc to be so compulsive it actually became quite stressful! The gaming equivalent of cocaine. 

 

Outrun is also lovely. Turn up the timer, lower the difficulty and just enjoy the scenery zip past. 

  • Upvote 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, ZOK said:

NEON CHROME

 

You have now reached the required number of recommendations. This title has been downloaded and feedback will follow shortly.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, NickC said:

 

You have now reached the required number of recommendations. This title has been downloaded and feedback will follow shortly.

 

If you fall in love with it, you’ll probably not have played as the hacker to start with as it’s the ‘weakest’ choice. But when you do, it becomes a whole other game, from run and gun to considered stop/start stealth. Enjoy!

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for all the suggestions - I've checked them all out on YouTube and some good looking candidates.

 

I like the look of Sky Force in particular but there are two versions: Reloaded and Anniversary. Is there much difference between them? I've looked into it but I'm not all that much wiser.

 

Neon Chrome looks lovely but perhaps a bit fiddly to control - am I being picky? 

 

Hyrule Warriors looks like it could be a frustrating although I like the idea of smashing thorough hordes of grunts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Chosty said:

Neon Chrome looks lovely but perhaps a bit fiddly to control - am I being picky? 

 

I don’t think it’s fiddly at all - I haven’t played any of their other games but the devs seem to be regarded as amongst the leaders for twin stick shooters, they all seem to be based around the same mechanics.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If I get a family online sub, can I remove my credit card from the service once active? Nintendo's FAQ page seems to suggest I can't. I know you can with a single one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd like to get a family sub too but I already have the individual one, not sure how I can upgrade other than just cancelling auto renew, waiting for it to expire, and then resubbing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, ZOK said:

 

I don’t think it’s fiddly at all - I haven’t played any of their other games but the devs seem to be regarded as amongst the leaders for twin stick shooters, they all seem to be based around the same mechanics.

It's probably just because I'm not used to twin-sticks, at least in a top down game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Chosty said:

It's probably just because I'm not used to twin-sticks, at least in a top down game.

 

To be honest I haven’t played that many myself. Robotron, Gungeon etc. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That 2D retro collection of games has just made Mario and Sonic rocket up my WANT list.  Unfortunately, I've got a pretty big WANT list and no enough money to service it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.