rllmuk
deKay

Nintendo Switch

I thought when the lite was announced there were also hardware changes to the standard one but there was no song and dance as it was just standard updating of hardware? Is that not the same thing?

• Upvote 1

The battery boost with the new model confirms this is running on the Mariko chip so we should see some (slight) performance upgrades as well to certain games.

11 minutes ago, HarMGM said:

so we should see some (slight) performance upgrades as well to certain games.

I don't think that's going to be the case - they are going to run at the same clocks. The die-shrink means it's just now more power-efficient so the same battery gets a very decent boost and lasts longer.

• Upvote 1

They could have included those new Joy-con colours with it just for an extra incentive to replace my faithful launch model for a bit of extra battery life. With the amount of time I’ve spent on it, I keep expecting it to be my first ever console to die on me, so I am tempted.

• Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, rgraves said:

I don't think that's going to be the case - they are going to run at the same clocks. The die-shrink means it's just now more power-efficient so the same battery gets a very decent boost and lasts longer.

I think the hacking/modding scene will be able to wring a few improvements out of the new chipset; they've already made a utility to modify the clock speeds on the standard switch.

10 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

Is this the rumoured Switch Pro, then?

There will never be any way of knowing, because it was a rumour.

• Upvote 3

27 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

Is this the rumoured Switch Pro, then? Guess we're going to have to wait for Switch 2 before we get Bluetooth support. I think I'll just buy an adapter.

The PlayStation wireless headsets work - because they use a USB dongle. There is no direct bluetooth support out of the box on any of the current systems for some reason - probably licensing cost I guess.

On 12/07/2019 at 17:13, NEG said:

No new Joycons was the Jan 2018 marker. Bundle Joycons you can't buy alone doesn't count. Late 2019 for the Switch bundles itself, bar Dragon Quest Builders 2 bundle that's only in Japan.

New joycons are coming in October. Ready to say you were wrong yet? 

• Empathy 1

Formatted my new 256mb card on the switch copied the old 128mb onto pc and then copied content directly over to the new card. Switch recognised nothing on it so just redownloading the game tiles now. In future won't bother faffing with PC at all and just redownload.

1 hour ago, rgraves said:

The PlayStation wireless headsets work - because they use a USB dongle. There is no direct bluetooth support out of the box on any of the current systems for some reason - probably licensing cost I guess.

Because you can only connect 7 devices, and they need them all for controllers.

3 hours ago, mdn2 said:

They can't be! @NEG said Nintendo wasn't bothering any more!

Well colour me surprised about those and the revision. Thanks for proving me wrong for once, Nintendo. :)

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

14 hours ago, jonamok said:

Those purple/orange joy cons are filthy magic. So tempted to finally say goodbye to the grey.

They are gorgeous, I already have three pairs of joycons though :blush:

Anyone tempted to upgrade their OG Switch for the new model? I might see what trade in deals there are at launch but if I stand to lose too much money I won't bother.

13 hours ago, DeciderVT said:

Tempted to upgrade to the newer standard model... but knowing my luck, there'll be a Pro version announced as soon as I get one.

No way a Pro is coming in the next 12 months.

I think they’d be mad to release another SKU. 

The lite version has a large market and makes sense but I doubt there’s much hunger for a pro model really?

58 minutes ago, Sarlaccfood said:

I think they’d be mad to release another SKU. 

The lite version has a large market and makes sense but I doubt there’s much hunger for a pro model really?

I'm hungry!

I would buy the shit out of a bezelless Switch with a bigger screen, longer battery life, 4k compatibility and a more premium finish.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, rgraves said:

:facepalm: Typical. As soon as I buy RE4. And it's pointless buying it for the rest as 5+6 are digital and 6 is garbage anyway.