rllmuk
deKay

Nintendo Switch

9 hours ago, spanky debrest said:

the inclusion of the D-Pad and the screen's increased PPI makes it the Switch I'd opt for.

I was half tempted by this new Switch and the DPad is a big plus. The PPI, I don't care for though, I'd actually rather keep the larger screen. 

I'll maybe get rid of my original when they go to portable V2. 

• Upvote 3

12 hours ago, ann coulter said:

Yes, except that I don't think it's really designed for playing on the go. I don't think the original Switch is either. Playing it on the bus is an absolutely awful experience. Are people seriously fishing a case out of their rucksack, taking the Switch out of the case, putting the case away, plugging their earphones into the Switch and booting it up for fifteen minutes, then putting it all away again when they reach their stop, all while wedged between a passenger on their left and a window on their right? As opposed to taking a DS or, these days, a smartphone out of their pocket?

It's designed perfectly for lounging around at home in different rooms and in bed, or at least that's the only time I use it as a handheld. And I love it for that reason. Or in the back of a car, actually - I can see that.

I just did a scientific test (point of note: I don’t have a bus or ever go on them so used a dining chair instead) and it took longer to get my damn phone out of my jeans pocket, unlock it and load the game getting past the ads and loot box promos than it did to get the switch out and resume the game - to make it fairer I also chain locked my bag (because crime in London) and didn’t allow myself use of the key - still quicker and unlike the phone you can actually play games on the Switch because controls.

I did want to simulate the DS but it’s not 1999 anymore and 1) you can’t fit a DS in any pockets 2) it was so small I couldn’t find it in the bag when I tried that.

You didn’t say vita but I tried that too and basically it doesn’t fit in a pocket, has awful controls and because it has ran out of battery it will take a week for it to charge and turn on again.

Switch is the clear winner, I’m worried about the Switch lite tho as it looks like it could be a more portable switch so probably gonna be the better bus journey option.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Paulando said:

I'm sure they'll release the cheeky Mario Red, Luigi Green and Peach Pink in 6 months time, then in 12 months the SNES Grey, Gamecube Spice Orange versions :P

And an Animal Crossing one when the game releases next year :wub:

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Strafe said:

Just preordered one and I don't know why.

Well, I know why, it's FOMO but there's no real justification for it.

How much are they (UK)?

31 minutes ago, Shimmyhill said:

I just did a scientific test (point of note: I don’t have a bus or ever go on them so used a dining chair instead) and it took longer to get my damn phone out of my jeans pocket, unlock it and load the game getting past the ads and loot box promos than it did to get the switch out and resume the game - to make it fairer I also chain locked my bag (because crime in London) and didn’t allow myself use of the key - still quicker and unlike the phone you can actually play games on the Switch because controls.

I did want to simulate the DS but it’s not 1999 anymore and 1) you can’t fit a DS in any pockets 2) it was so small I couldn’t find it in the bag when I tried that.

You didn’t say vita but I tried that too and basically it doesn’t fit in a pocket, has awful controls and because it has ran out of battery it will take a week for it to charge and turn on again.

Switch is the clear winner, I’m worried about the Switch lite tho as it looks like it could be a more portable switch so probably gonna be the better bus journey option.

Now try putting the Switch in your jeans pocket!

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Horribleman said:

It's a shame they didn't make it a bit more comfortable.

How do you know they didn't?

1 minute ago, Nequests said:

The lack of gyro is a shame. I can't imagine playing Splatoon with nothing but stick aiming. 

I think it does have gyro.

1 minute ago, Nequests said:

The lack of gyro is a shame. I can't imagine playing Splatoon with nothing but stick aiming. 

It has Gyro. 

Best thing about the Switch physical design, is that it’s modular. Analogue stick wears out on your launch Switch? No major problem, just buy a new JoyCon. Much preferable than having to replace the whole unit. Unfortunately the Switch Lite won’t have that luxury of modularity. Without that and TV connectivity, it seems like a dud.

• Upvote 1

If they do make a Switch Pro or XL, or whatever, I really, really hope it has bluetooth connectivity built in so I can listen to it using my wireless headphones.

• Upvote 5

29 minutes ago, Mr Combo Breaker said:

here I was expecting another announcement in a couple of weeks :/ 

More weird than Fifa when it can't get Sky Sports? or McDonalds Global Gladiators on the Megadrive when it wasn't a burger?

Yes.

I might have to get a yellow one for myself at Christmas.  Depends on whether putting my account on it will forcibly remove digital purchases from the Switch that's sat in my kids' living room.. 

1 hour ago, Protocol Penguin said:

Best thing about the Switch physical design, is that it’s modular. Analogue stick wears out on your launch Switch? No major problem, just buy a new JoyCon. Much preferable than having to replace the whole unit. Unfortunately the Switch Lite won’t have that luxury of modularity. Without that and TV connectivity, it seems like a dud.

Strange viewpoint, obv no other handheld has had the modular design for repairs and I don’t recall Vita et al having issues with sticks failing and Sony aren’t exactly known for long wearing sticks. You would also expect Nintendo will have improved the sticks on the new one, tv connectivity is obv not an option as it’s not got that mode in hardware let alone the port.

Its going to sell like wildfire, Nintendo are going to outsell Sony and MS this Xmas with the lite model alone let alone the launch model!

So many bizarre points in this thread and mostly people are saying I want the Switch lite with bigger screen, tv out and joy cons.... I mean maybe just buy the Switch then ;) 

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, The Mighty Ash said:

Resi 0, 1 and 4 are on sale currently for £19.79.

Mario & Rabbids is £11.

Phantasy Star is £4.01

:quote:

• Upvote 1