Nintendo Switch

deKay

I've just moved from a 128GB to a 400GB Micro SD without having to redownload by formatting the new 400GB in the Switch first and then copying the contents of the old to the new., just in case anyone is about to do the same. The 128GB was full and it took 1.5 hours to copy it off onto an external SSD and then 1.5 hours to copy back. Still loads faster than downloading the lot again on my shitty connection.

This was PC by the way, it seems there are more issues with this on Mac.

On 06/08/2019 at 09:21, memories said:

What's the best portable charging and carry case options at the moment?

Been looking at a Ravpower 20000mah pack for £24 and an Orzly carry case for £8.

Both look like they would do the job really.

That battery pack is fine. The next stage up is to go with one that can output higher wattage via USB-C.

12 hours ago, MikeBeaver said:

I am forever downloadonng shit to put on my sd card, then realising I need to FTP it to the Switch as taking the card out and putting it in either a USB adaptor or sd reader is pointless, the thing won't read it :(

I assume your Switch is hacked? That’s probably why.

Some SD readers won’t read SDXC cards properly though, so for some that might be the issue.

On 05/08/2019 at 18:21, Popo said:

I bought the Capcom Beat em up bundle because it was on sale (and because I was a bit drunk) - I’ve only played Final Fight so far but the strategy seems to be ‘insert coins to win, and hope to land a few punches in between having the crap kicked out of you’ - including on the lowest difficulty settings. 

Amazing how visually similar this and Streets of Rage are. It’s a wonder Capcom didn’t try to sue Sega. 

You can definitely get good rather than just pump coins in to finish it. I can’t help you with tactics but I’ve seen one credit finishes. I think it’s a lot to do with crowd control and memorising enemy patterns. 

Just signed up for Nintendo Online and feck Tetris 99. I thought I was on fire before, managed to get all the way down to 37 with just a couple of lines along the bottom when some feckers insta killed me. 

This was also the first time I signed up for Switch Online, went through the NES selection and it's a bit pants.  Thing has been up for at least a year now and this is the best they can offer? Thought there'd be loads of SNES and GB by now.

On 05/08/2019 at 18:21, Popo said:

I bought the Capcom Beat em up bundle because it was on sale (and because I was a bit drunk) - I’ve only played Final Fight so far but the strategy seems to be ‘insert coins to win, and hope to land a few punches in between having the crap kicked out of you’ - including on the lowest difficulty settings. 

Amazing how visually similar this and Streets of Rage are. It’s a wonder Capcom didn’t try to sue Sega. 

Yeah, replaying these games now that I’m older, it’s pretty clear that even if you were good, you were still going to get battered.

Being a poor kid meant trying to get as far as possible on 10p!

Captain Commando seems especially cheap as it throws a lot of heavily powered enemies at you but 3 player is fun :) 

8 hours ago, acidbearboy said:

You can definitely get good rather than just pump coins in to finish it. I can’t help you with tactics but I’ve seen one credit finishes. I think it’s a lot to do with crowd control and memorising enemy patterns. 

Yep, like the best Arcade games, mastery is certainly possible. My mate is amazing at it. I'm useless.

9 hours ago, acidbearboy said:

It is possible but it’s a sow and boring way to play.

The only game I could 1 credit in the arcades was gang wars, but I played and memorised it so much that I actually got fed up one day and just walked away towards to end! 

I downloaded it a few years ago and the disgust was still there. I got so good at it, I fucking hated it! First game I “clocked” too :) 

What the hells going on with the price of Nintendo games? I haven't played Breath of the Wild for a couple of years and thought I'd pick up another copy for a  run through and the DLC. Everywhere is selling it for close to £50! It's 2 years old :blink:  Even the download codes are the same price.

A few YouTubers getting their hands on the revised switch now. 

Summary if you can't be bothered to watch. Note that this guy bought a brand new original switch at the same time to run them side by side: 

- confirmed battery life is better. Ran Zelda for an hour on both doing the same inputs. New model had 12% more battery at the end of the hour. 

- screen slightly brighter, better when outside. Was tested against a screen calibrator. 

- screen has more accurate colour, slightly warmer. Was tested against a screen calibrator

- joycons are slightly different inside. New housing for sticks but unsure if it makes any difference. Different battery inside joycons but unsure if improved

- zero difference in performance from what he could tell. Loaded up games at same time and results were the same, docked and undocked

- runs cooler than old model, docked and undocked. Ran against thermal camera

Keeping my eye out to buy one when I can, though haven't heard of anybody picking one up in the UK. 

On 06/08/2019 at 22:26, smac said:

Could be that - but I run Windows under Parallels, and that was reporting it as R/W!

Is it formatted NTFS? Admittedly it's been a while but doesn't MacOS only have native read support for NTFS? I know that was a limitation previously

Fire Emblem and Diablo 3 will last you for ages of they get their hooks into you. Although personally I prefer Fire Emblem. 

Mario Maker is great as well. 

So in answer to your question, get Astral Chain. 

On 10/08/2019 at 12:24, scottcr said:

Can get one game with my birthday money... but can't decide which one!!  Mario Maker 2, Diablo 3, Fire Emblem... too many amazing games.  

Couldn't stand Diablo 3, hadn't played any previous versions but have played Nox and Sacred many years ago.....seems nothing has changed in the world of hold mouse button to win games.

Loved Fire emblem on the DS but the latest game seems to have a harry potter sorting hat houses vibe that's putting me right off.

So a vote for Mario Maker from me.