rllmuk
deKay

Nintendo Switch

Just now, The Mighty Ash said:

I would argue 70% of people wanting to play docked or both modes doesn't justify a portable only console.

It does for the 30%. The thing has sold about 35 million devices, so around ten million people are never connecting it to a TV. I'd say that's a market there.

Just now, Rex Grossman said:

No but my daughter would want to be able to pick up her Mario Maker levels, AC town, Crafted World progress on the handheld when I've got the Switch with me or if I'm out of the country.

She wouldn't have her own Switch?

3 minutes ago, Liamness said:

Well that's the potentially great thing about the Switch - it's a platform, not a single console. You can have the expensive do-everything very, and then cheaper variants that don't. It's just surprising that this can't connect to a TV because I can't think of a technical reason why this would be. I mean... how hard would it have been to switch the USB-C port to the top, and let you game on a TV, using the controls on the console itself, with just a single cable?

As someone else said, because it's been cut down it won't output video in HD like the Switch does - it'd just be the portable screen resolution on the TV.

I would argue 70% of people wanting to play docked or both modes doesn't justify a portable only console.

30% of the massive market that the Switch has carved out for itself is a huge amount of money. That's without counting the expansion of the market that will be caused by this price drop. $100 will make a lot of parents more comfortable buying it for kids. The Switch is a smash, but I think it's traded pretty heavily on 30 something and older males getting their 80s / 90s nostaglia on, understandable Nintendo would want to make something lazer targeted at their more traditional market.

• Upvote 2

Just now, Rex Grossman said:

If she had a Switch Lite of her own now having started all these games on my Switch.

You can move her entire profile over to a new Switch.

Just now, deKay said:

You can move her entire profile over to a new Switch.

It's all on my profile. But even if it was on her profile I'm guessing she couldn't chop and change between the main Switch on the TV and then pick up where she left out on her Lite in her bedroom.

Just now, deKay said:

As someone else said, because it's been cut down it won't output video in HD like the Switch does - it'd just be the portable screen resolution on the TV.

Cut down how? The chip is the same, right? I thought the Switch just changed clock speeds between portable and docked modes. I don't get how cutting out the ability to connect to a TV would even save any money.

6 minutes ago, deKay said:

It does for the 30%. The thing has sold about 35 million devices, so around ten million people are never connecting it to a TV. I'd say that's a market there.

But why limit it, when all it needs is a cable to the TV?

So people still need to buy a regular Switch, duh.

On the one hand I'm relieved this isn't just a better Switch, as I didn't really welcome the temptation to upgrade to a 'pro' version or whatever. I'll stick to the old faithful, with its TV mode, JoyCons and Flip Grip.

On the other hand, I put off buying a Switch for my nieces because the standard is a bit delicate and pricey, but I'll gladly buy them one (probably two :hmm:) of these. Nintendo know what they're doing.

• Empathy 1

14 minutes ago, deKay said:

Yes, but you won't be able to use your digital games, or cloud saves, if the portable one isn't your primary console. To play digital games on your second console you need it to be connected to the internet.

so its pointless at that point. why can Nintendo not just do this stuff right.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, The Mighty Ash said:

Cost saving?  It may only cost them a tiny amount extra per unit but when they sell millions the costs still racks up fast and company's do think about this.  I remember working on a game years ago and the publisher wouldn't put a credits page in the game's manual despite the cost per manual being negligible (especially compared to HDMI out hardware and a cable!) and that's the reason they gave.

8 minutes ago, The Mighty Ash said:

Have you ever met a Marketing department?

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, Rex Grossman said:

It's all on my profile. But even if it was on her profile I'm guessing she couldn't chop and change between the main Switch on the TV and then pick up where she left out on her Lite in her bedroom.

Ah, right. My daughter's stuff is all on my Switch on her profile. Bit late now, obviously, but that's what you needed to do all along really.

10 minutes ago, Liamness said:

Cut down how? The chip is the same, right? I thought the Switch just changed clock speeds between portable and docked modes. I don't get how cutting out the ability to connect to a TV would even save any money.

Some of the video-out electronics might now be missing too, plus it doesn't need as much cooling.

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, Liamness said:

It's just surprising that this can't connect to a TV because I can't think of a technical reason why this would be. I mean... how hard would it have been to switch the USB-C port to the top, and let you game on a TV, using the controls on the console itself, with just a single cable?

It doesn't connect to a TV as then they don't have to include a dock, active cooling, and one of the strong power supplies. Saves cost - and if you don't have the full on power supply and cooling, they are not going to gamble with people hooking it up via anything else that doesn't supply the right juice. That, plus the pennies saved on the port and other required hardware bits, will be the reason IMO.

I do think it's daft (as it's no longer able to Switch), but I guess it directly addresses the 2DS market which must have been big for them. This is their 'gateway drug' offering - and they'll be hoping people 'move on' to a full-fat Switch.

"Yes, you will have the ability to transfer between devices, your gameplay experiences," he said. However, Bowser stopped short of actually providing concrete details on how that would work and when the functionality will be available. "More to come there, but that is the intention," he added.

Not that I really trust Nintendo to make a nice user friendly system for this but I guess at least they are working on it

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, Coolcongo said:

so its pointless at that point. why can Nintendo not just do this stuff right.

How could they do it though - it's a portable console, so they can't make it *require* an online connection. So now you can't rely on cloud saves, and you have to have some way to stop people item duplicating in stuff like AC, or just generally playing offline then online and keeping it all in-sync (as the offline console could just be put to sleep etc). It's not like it's an easy problem and they can't be bothered IMO.

Just now, chamberlago said:

Not that I really trust Nintendo to make a nice user friendly system for this but I guess at least they are working on it

They don't need to. There's already a system in place that lets you transfer everything, or just one profile.

Unless this transfers the games too rather than download them. That might be a thing.

Of course, if this is a proper "sync everything all the time" so you can have two Switches with your saves on, then that'd be even better.

2 minutes ago, rgraves said:

How could they do it though - it's a portable console, so they can't make it *require* an online connection. So now you can;t rely on cloud saves, and you have to have some way to stop people item duplicating in stuff like AC. It's not like it's an easy problem and they can't be bothered IMO.

Cloud saves is a problem but would be nice to play my games on two consoles. 

6 minutes ago, sandman said:

where from??

Whoever offers it up for preorder first, I guess.

EDIT: unless it's Amazon

• Empathy 1

If you can afford a $300 console, yeah. You don't HAVE to buy this, so why is giving people the option, presumably (and particularly) those still routinely playing their 3DS a bad thing?

Get another normal Switch if the lack of TV mode is an issue. And if you can stomach the stupid save and digital rights issues.

edit - erm, fast moving thread, and I can't remember who I was replying to.

So Tegra got a die shrink then. CNET confirm it's using a "more  effiicent" processor. Will be interesting to see if will push clock speeds slightly higher on the lite and a higher capaqcity battery or will go with the same battery rating and are using the die shrink for the gaming hour increase.

1 hour ago, Purin said:

Thanks for all your recommendations. I will look into them.

Reagarding, Mario Maker 2...I played the first one to death on the Wii U. One of my favourite games. Somehow I can't get enthused for more of the same.

It's much better than Maker 1. The single palyer alone is worth the price.

• Upvote 1