rllmuk
deKay

Nintendo Switch

2 minutes ago, Fargo said:

I’ve no real interest in a handheld only model but I’d love a TV only model packed with a pro controller. Make it happen Nintendo! 

...just..leave it... in the.... dock?

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Kevvy Metal said:

So that it can visibly mock you as you charge your Pro Controller? Preposterous.

6 minutes ago, Kevvy Metal said:

I guess. I’d hope that a tv only version might offer improvements such as higher res and HDR, or perhaps just be a cheaper option due to the lack of built in battery and screen etc. 

• Upvote 1

I'd definitely be interested in the new handheld version, because I find the ever so slight play in the joycons when they're attached super annoying.

However, they'll need to come up with a way of me playing my library on the new one and my existing Switch because I also play it regularly connected to the TV. Since this is Nintendo we're talking about I won't hold my breath.

Obviously wasn't going to buy 18 games at once, Jesus.

Just saying that 18 physical switch games cost over £700 pounds, an Amazon shopping basket is the quickest way of finding that out.

Also, the games aren't all brand new, haven't dropped in price, so suggests those prices are likely to stay high throughout the year.

An equivalent selection of games on PS4/Xbox/PC would be a fraction of the price right now, and probably cost even less a year from now.

Basically, the Switch hardware and it's games are more expensive than any other platform, and anything to reduce the price would be most welcome.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1
  • Empathy 1

1 hour ago, BBBBBB said:

Totally up for a handheld only model. As long as it still has the little kick-stand to do funny waggle games and local mp.

Still won't deal with the issue of physical games being too expensive. Main reason I haven't bought a switch yet.

Today out of curiosity I added 18 physical games I quite fancy to an Amazon basket, many of them a few years old.

Over £700. Fuck. Off.

Get real kid.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, BBBBBB said:

Just saying that 18 physical switch games cost over £700 pounds, an Amazon shopping basket is the quickest way of finding that out.

Also, the games aren't all brand new, haven't dropped in price, so suggests those prices are likely to stay high throughout the year.

An equivalent selection of games on PS4/Xbox/PC would be a fraction of the price right now, and probably cost even less a year from now.

Basically, the Switch hardware and it's games are more expensive than any other platform, and anything to reduce the price would be most welcome.

Nintendo games retaining their price is nothing new though..was exactly the same with 1st party WiiU titles. 

Having said that I often see plenty of bargains on trading pages like Facebook marketplace if you don't want to be paying full price. The likes of Zelda and Odyssey can certainly be picked up cheaper now.

1 hour ago, BBBBBB said:

Nobody thought you were. It's just that it was a really stupid way of saying that Switch games hold value whereas the games on other platforms don't.

As others have said, you can sell your two year old Switch games for a pretty small loss relative to the pennies you'd make selling most equivalently aged PS4 or Xbox software. Not that you'd want to sell them of course...

1 hour ago, Fargo said:

I guess. I’d hope that a tv only version might offer improvements such as higher res and HDR, or perhaps just be a cheaper option due to the lack of built in battery and screen etc. 

I'm with you on this. I've loads to play on my Vita and 2DS, not been able to justify a switch. A cheaper TV only model with a Pro controller would be a winner for me.

He wasn't being stupid. His issue is on point. Nintendo hardware and software are expensive and don't get priced down as much as Ps4 and Xbox. Is this a good thing for Nintendo? Their sales department need to analyse. 

2 hours ago, BBBBBB said:

You could've just multiplied the price of 1 switch game by 18.

• Upvote 3
  • Empathy 1

Just in case people didn’t know, if you have an Online sub, you can go into the JP eShop with your JP account, download the Famicom service, and play all the games in that with your normal account.

There’s JP versions of many of the same games as the UK service, but also JP only stuff like Fire Emblem and that Sumo wrestling game.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, unleashedmaniac said:

Just downloaded it, and watched someone win a chubby shiba inu plush...

Deleted it before I spent a fortune on it!

But you can win a vegetable chopper!

4 hours ago, alex3d said:

He wasn't being stupid. His issue is on point. Nintendo hardware and software are expensive and don't get priced down as much as Ps4 and Xbox. Is this a good thing for Nintendo? Their sales department need to analyse. 

I never said he was being stupid, I said he was trying to make a point in a stupid way.

Nintendo hard- and software doesn't get priced down too often because they don't need to price down - they are doing just fine on their current model without needed to get involved in Sony and Microsoft's never ending loss leading tech and sales wars.

On the flip side, seeing things marked down a few weeks or a month after release is hardly an inspiring sign of quality, even if it has now become an expectation. How often do we read 'I'll just wait a few weeks till it's less than £30'?

2 hours ago, Popo said:

I checked with Nintendo’s sales department and they had this update:

553E90BF-3CF6-4AFA-A53B-77F320212430.gif

Sure, the question is would it print even more money in case of lower prices? That's some speculation right here. More units sold at lower prices vs fewer/(current level of) units at current prices 

• Empathy 1

3 hours ago, alex3d said:

Sure, the question is would it print even more money in case of lower prices? That's some speculation right here. More units sold at lower prices vs fewer/(current level of) units at current prices 

Their sales are really healthy, they have no need to lower the prices, although they do have eshop sales from time to time.

I suspect they will roll out "Nintendo Selects" for Switch at some point in the next 12 months, that will get some like me who have not jumped yet get a switch. I find the high price of 3DS software a bit much to swallow but the selects range has some of the best games at a very decent price. 

I don't have a lot of spare money so the high prices of Nintendo irk me a bit, but it obviously makes business sense for them, and attaches a value to the software. It also adds to more stable sales forecasts for them, they have years of pricing models to work from. 

2 hours ago, sonixtorm said:

Virtua Racing is on the UK store on 27th in case it hasn’t already been mentioned :omg:

It has, but it should be repeated on every page frankly because it looks so amazing.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, sonixtorm said:

Virtua Racing is on the UK store on 27th in case it hasn’t already been mentioned :omg:

14 minutes ago, Rex Grossman said:

It has, but it should be repeated on every page frankly because it looks so amazing.

I've never played this but keep seeing it lauded to the high heavens. What makes it so good, beyond nostalgia?

17 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

I've never played this but keep seeing it lauded to the high heavens. What makes it so good, beyond nostalgia?

Tight, focused tracks; joyous handling; bright blue skies and weird collections of polygons that somewhat resemble people doing daft things in the background. 

Its an an absolute joy to play. 5 minutes of playtime you’ll want to repeat over and over again. Everything you’d hope for in a racing game. 

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Popo said:

Tight, focused tracks; joyous handling; bright blue skies and weird collections of polygons that somewhat resemble people doing daft things in the background. 

Its an an absolute joy to play. 5 minutes of playtime you’ll want to repeat over and over again. Everything you’d hope for in a racing game. 

Sounds good. I may check it out if the price is right. 

2 hours ago, womblingfree said:

What’s the best Switch bundle deal at the moment?

Friends kid wants to get one asap.

Nothing good really. Amazon are doing them for 279 on their own (in stock from the 28th), or Smyths doing them for 299 with Mari Kart or Yoshi .

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Nintendo-Switch-Neon-Red-Blue/dp/B01N4NBHPM/&ref=zg_bsms_videogames_home_all?camp=1634&creative=6738&linkCode=ur2&tag=postabarg-21&th=1

https://www.smythstoys.com/uk/en-gb/video-games-and-tablets/console-bundle-deals/nintendo-switch-console-bundle-deals/c/nintendo-switch-console-bundle-deals

• Upvote 1