rllmuk
deKay

Nintendo Switch

1 minute ago, SozzlyJoe said:

What's the betting it uses the exact same battery, and the paltry gains are simply due to the smaller screen?

You can not change the brightness either , so probably will be less bright than the switch on the highest setting - saving a bit of battery.

Just now, RYAN WHITELAW said:

The fact they didnt mention battery life says to me its not much better.

They did, it's 20-30% better.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Darhkwing said:

Everything is possible with a pad. I played practically the entire thing with a pro pad.

Looking into it, there's actually a few moons that are designed to be collected via motion controls. There are finnicky work arounds, but I doubt that's acceptable by Nintendo standards.

8 minutes ago, Strafe said:

Can you use the same account across switches?

16 minutes ago, deKay said:

Not quite.

I can get a digital version of a game and install it on my Switch and my daughter's hypothetical Switch. However, she can only use it using my profile on her Switch (not her own), and if she's doing that I can't play it on my Switch at the same time.

So what I'm saying is, we need to buy two copies of Animal Crossing.

6 minutes ago, gospvg said:

They should have really improved the battery life up to 10 hours.

They need to rethink the name from ‘Lite’ in that case.

Just now, deKay said:

They did, it's 20-30% better.

I must have missed this along with a bunch of other people. 

Seems entirely predictable, especially as I bought myself a Switch for almost entirely handheld use last week so it was inevitable this would be announced immediately afterwards.

No regrets though, I do occasionally use it on the TV and I appreciate the flexibility. This version is perfect for kids, and will become the true successor to the 3DS, finally fulfilling Iwata's strategy to have a single platform for home and portable gaming.

Are people really wondering why the cheaper portable-only version won't play on TVs?

• Upvote 1

Just now, Hoodedclaw said:

Bundle this and Animal Crossing and win

No need. It's releasing alongside Links Awakening and the new Pokemon is out a few weeks later. It's going to sell crazy amounts this Christmas. 

Just now, Rex Grossman said:

Screen Shot 2019-07-10 at 13.48.27.png

Not a good increase to be fair.

We have went from 3 to 6 to 3 to 7 depending on software.

3 minutes ago, Stanley said:

So there's no kick stand but you can still use extra joycons I presume for local multiplayer? How do you charge them though?

With a third party charge stand that you buy from Amazon/Argos.

3 minutes ago, imp said:

Looking into it, there's actually a few moons that are designed to be collected via motion controls. There are finnicky work arounds, but I doubt that's acceptable by Nintendo standards.

I don't think i explained correctly. I'll look into it, but surely the Lite will still do basic controls like gyro and being able to shake the lite for the speed boosts in SMO?

I can understand the ones where you move the joycons in a circle etc though.

I’d love to buy one but seeing as how I wouldn’t be able to play a lot of games across multiple devices (and keep the same profile) I can’t really see the point. 

1 minute ago, yashiro said:

With a third party charge stand that you buy from Amazon/Argos.

:doh:of course. 

I don't know really, if it's £180 I might bite, but having to explain to my daughter that her Switch won't work on the telly might be an issue.

5 minutes ago, Darren said:

Are people really wondering why the cheaper portable-only version won't play on TVs?

Yeah, seeing as it's the Switch's USP.

If you have a game on a cart are the saves stored on the Switch? So if you put the cart in your Lite (same account) you'd not be able to access the saves?

2 minutes ago, Rex Grossman said:

If you have a game on a cart are the saves stored on the Switch? So if you put the cart in your Lite (same account) you'd not be able to access the saves?

Saves are stored on the switch console not the cart. I hope they get some sort of cloud saving system on the go to get round this and multiple consoles.

1 minute ago, Flockheart said:

Saves are stored on the switch console not the cart. I hope they get some sort of cloud saving system on the go to get round this and multiple consoles.

That's what I thought. Switch Online does have cloud saves though. If I knew I could chop and change between devices I'd be tempted.

I was going to get one for my middle daughter but not at £200. We've got two already so she can borrow mine.

9 minutes ago, Stanley said:

Yeah, seeing as it's the Switch's USP.

Yes this is absolutely baffling. All they would need is to sell an accessory cable "dock" like many third parties are already doing. Then you just plug into that and game using a separate controller. It's the difference between me being completely up for this, day one, inject it into my veins etc vs being completely disinterested. I've always found the switch a bit unwieldy for portable gaming and this looks like it would completely fix that. But I also play it most often on the couch, connected to a TV.

I don't even understand the limitation - it seems artificial, purely to differentiate the products. If this new version is capable of playing the same games in handheld mode, then it must be capable of playing them in docked mode too - it seems to have the same vents and fan setup. Just needs the video out and a beefy enough USB-C power supply surely?

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Rex Grossman said:

That's what I thought. Switch Online does have cloud saves though. If I knew I could chop and change between devices I'd be tempted.

That not all games support cloud saves is absurd, given the Lite is a good choice for a second Switch. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, neoELITE said:

I was going to get one for my middle daughter but not at £200. We've got two already so she can borrow mine.

What did you expect? 99 quid?

• Empathy 1

Just now, TehStu said:

That not all games support cloud saves is absurd, given the Lite is a good choice for a second Switch. 

Including FIFA, Splatoon and Pokemon.

I'm hoping upcoming games will have a bespoke handheld mode control scheme when needed (or just when better because some thought has gone into it - e.g utilising the touch screen for a Zelda map or inventory like Wind Waker HD), original Switch owners benefiting too. 

I can't find any info on the actual size compared to the original Switch. From the trailer it didn't look that much smaller.

Other than the actual Dpad, there's little to tempt me so far, especially disappointed with the battery.

30 minutes ago, Darhkwing said:

Everything is possible with a pad. I played practically the entire thing with a pro pad.

So did I, and needed the Pro Pad's motion controls for the extra high jump.